• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Second attempt

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I understand what you are saying, but have to largely disagree.

Disagree all you want but eas is right. The test is designed to identify people who have the APTITUDE for aviation, not for people who can study the information. The test is really easy in and of itself but the addition of the time constraint giving you about 30 -45 seconds per question makes it much more difficult to score high on if you simply dont have the aptitude.

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
Well I guess I'll figure out how much aptitude is a factor here in like two weeks. The first time that I took the test I didn't really study that much. The math was easy but I couldn't remember how to do some of it in my head. I'm studying the math pretty intensely right now so hopefully I can get my score up pretty phat.

statesman

pilot
There is a difference between not having the aptitude and knocking off rust. If you havent seen an algebra problem in several years youre not going to do well on the test, so studying will help there. But if you are terrible at algebra youre not going to score high on those questions, regardless of how much studying you have done.

The big thing as was already said is take a few practice tests as though you were going in to take the real thing. Thats going to help you more than probably any other technique.

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
Yeah, I'm almost positive that it was the math section that killed me. Being an English major, I haven't really seen any of those questions in ages. I found this awesome website though called http://www.algebasics.com . I'm seeing a lot of questions that I didn't know on the test and they're actually easy as fuck. I'm thinking that I only got like half of the math questions right on my first try. The reading comprehension and the mechanical section must have been the only reason I even scored somewhat decent because I'm pretty sure I aced those.

I'm taking the test again this Friday though. I've been really only studying math. Let's see how this goes.

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
Also: why is my OSO telling me that I only need a five for the middle score? I'm sure he knows what he's talking about, but I keep seeing a lot of people saying that you need a six.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Also: why is my OSO telling me that I only need a five for the middle score? I'm sure he knows what he's talking about, but I keep seeing a lot of people saying that you need a six.

It's been a long time since I took the test, but if I recall correctly, 5's were the min passing score. Since you are a Marine applicant I *believe* it is just a pass/fail check in the box, unlike your Navy brethren who actually need to have a competitive score on the test.

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
If that's the case, then why would anyone ever want to join the Navy? Not saying that I dislike the Navy, but if they're going to make it harder to obtain an almost identical position, then it seems foolish.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
If that's the case, then why would anyone ever want to join the Navy? Not saying that I dislike the Navy, but if they're going to make it harder to obtain an almost identical position, then it seems foolish.

I think 6 months of TBS + OCS evens out that score discrepancy some.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None

"Identical" position? Umm, not even close.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Lots of differences between the two services, not only in terms of flying jobs/platforms, but also in terms of service culture. No offense to my Marine brethren, but I never had any desire to be a Marine. Nothing against them, just wasn't for me. On top of that, my goal was to fly Hornets off the boat for a living, and there aren't a whole lot of Marine Hornet guys doing that (aside from FRS CQ). Another example would be someone who wants to fly SH-60's, P-3's, E-6, etc......Marines don't fly any of those aircraft.

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
Quick question: Are there some problems with the answers for the math section of the Arco book (7th edition)? Some of these answers seems to be going against the basic fundamentals of algebra, and they're really starting to piss me off.

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
Good news: I passed the test. My initial score was a 5/4/5/ 52. On this attempt I made a 5/6/6 49. Nothing marvelous, I am aware; however, it is passing. Furthermore, the Captain seemed pretty content with my score. I asked him about my OAR drop and he kind of gave me an "I don't know or care." Everyone seems to be so sketched out about getting picked up for air contracts (USMC side), but my OSO seems more than confident that I'm a good candidate. We'll see how it goes.

statesman

pilot

Goddamn dude, you're such a douche.

The last time you started a thread you got flamed for saying something stupid...

This time you weren't doing bad until you dropped this gem.

I could go into a whole deal about why I love flying for the Navy because I get to work with the most professional, motivated, high quality people on the planet, or about how I love the tradition, or any number of about a million things that I love about flying the P-3 for the Navy.

But you don't deserve to know any of that because you're a fucking retard who can't keep his head out his ass.

What planet did you just come from that you think it's cool to ask professional naval aviators for help and then have the audacity talk shit? And whether you meant it or not that's exactly what it is.

And how short sighted do you have to be to think that someone might choose a career in one branch or another based on a fucking placement test?