• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Second attempt

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
Alright, so I took my first ASTB about a month ago. I ended up with a 5/4/5 - 52. The oso told me that this is not passing due to the middle score not being at least a five. I previously studied using Atrickpay's guide, and now I have also picked up the Arco book. I have been studying the FAA pilot manual as well, and I am finding a lot of information that I saw on the test. Should I use the Barron's guide too? I'm not sure which form I used. FYI I am applying Marine.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
The FAA pilot manual probably isnt going to help you that much.

Unless they have changed the way the test grades, the aviation part of the test isn't weighted to heavily. You're going to make your money on the math, and mechanical / physical aptitude.

I dont know what you're doing to study, but taking the practice tests is probably about the best way to study. Remember the test is trying to test aptitude not knowledge so its designed such that its hard to study for.

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
A bit more info': I feel like the section that I did the worst on was the aviation knowledge, which is why I'm putting a bit of time into the FAA Manual (and considering looking at the Gleim book). However, I am definitely devoting more time to the math and mechanical sections, though I feel like I didn't really have a problem with the mechanical section (perhaps my scores say otherwise?) The most difficult thing to me seemed to be managing my time with the math and spatial sections. It just went by really fast and I started to get nervous. I haven't taken any timed practice tests yet but I definitely will? Should I use the timed AFAST and AFQOT portions of the Arco book as well as the ASTB and Marine Gouge one?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
The flag button is your friend. Don't spend more than a minute to minute and a half on the problems. There are usually 2 off the wall answers and try to narrow them down to 50/50 if you don't know them, flag it and move on, come back and guess if need be. Remember, this test only calculates the questions you answered, so guessing is a good strategy if you can increase your odds.

Like was previously said, it's not about testing knowledge. The spatial problems just get easier with practice, you really need to be able to sail through those..the aviation questions are basically right out of a Private Pilot's License test book...go find one of those. It's useful for some of the basic things like "What color are taxiway lights?" "What color is a military field's rotating beacon?" "Overtaking an aircraft, pass on the right." etc.. Also just learn the basics of the airplane, what an aileron does, rudder, etc. theory of flight (thrust, drag, gravity, lift), Bournoulli's Principle and just keep it at a basic level.

The reading portion gets people too, you have to learn to skim and be able to pick out the main points to answer the questions. If you read every line carefully in fear of getting it wrong, you'll run short of time.

Deere1450

pilot
In reference to the AFAST and AFQOT, I studied them a tad bit. After the test, I was glad that I hadn't gone further than a "tad bit". Would have been a waste. Find as many practice tests for the ASTB as you can. Barron's, ARCO, found a couple others on a gouge site. Atrickpay's study guide was money too. Don't ignore that study guide.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
I haven't taken any timed practice tests yet but I definitely will?

Big mistake, in my opinion. You haven't fully prepared yourself unless you've taken practice tests under simulated conditions. Time management can be a huge factor with this test; you need to understand your limitations and have a strategy.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
For what it's worth, the ASTB may have changed since we took it. While waiting to class up for API back in June, they were pulling 'volunteers' from A-Pool to take a new version of the ASTB that they were hoping to roll out very soon. I don't know how soon 'very soon' is, but it's worth noting. That being said, practice and study the materials you have, but ultimately remember that the test is an aptitude test, studying for the test kind of defeats the purpose . . . to an extent.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
They were pulling people out of A-Pool to take that test that was "imminent" when I was going through API as well. For what it's worth.

egd33

pilot
Contributor
but ultimately remember that the test is an aptitude test, studying for the test kind of defeats the purpose . . . to an extent.

I understand what you are saying, but have to largely disagree. Since it is graded on a bell curve, you are hugely disadvantaging yourself if you do not study considering that the people with the top scores probably studied a lot. If nobody studied though that would probably make the test most effective, but that is obviously something the Navy cannot control.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
They were pulling people out of A-Pool to take that test that was "imminent" when I was going through API as well. For what it's worth.

The military moves like pond water when it comes to making the smallest changes.

Oh. . .by the way, I'm very disappointed that OU got lucky last weekend. Where are you living now? Are you able to watch Big 12 football? I hate the fact that all I get to see is SEC crap out here in Florida.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Yeah if it were to be a true aptitude test, it would just be some surprise test that you'd have to take on the spot. For example, you walk into the recruiting office and say you want to be a pilot, he/she says "Okay , take this test right now, you've got 2 hours, go!" Then based on the results, you continue the process... that would be a true aptitude test.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
The military moves like pond water when it comes to making the smallest changes.

Oh. . .by the way, I'm very disappointed that OU got lucky last weekend. Where are you living now? Are you able to watch Big 12 football? I hate the fact that all I get to see is SEC crap out here in Florida.

I'm in Jax..you just gotta find a good sports bar. And an ass pounding is not lucky.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
I'm in Jax..you just gotta find a good sports bar. And an ass pounding is not lucky.

Yeah. . .I know. I'm a K-State grad, but it always make me sad to see the cross state team get pounded like that.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
I understand what you are saying, but have to largely disagree. Since it is graded on a bell curve, you are hugely disadvantaging yourself if you do not study considering that the people with the top scores probably studied a lot. If nobody studied though that would probably make the test most effective, but that is obviously something the Navy cannot control.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

What I'm saying is. . .it's an aptitude test. If you study for an aptitude test, you're not doing it any justice. If you don't study, will you probably get your ass handed to you? Well, yes, probably . . . if you don't have any aviation experience and lack a strong scientific background. This is why people DO study.