• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SECNAV to Implement Sweeping Changes

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Has the new Billet-Based Detailing stuff made it out to the Air community yet? All the shiny powerpoints make it sound like it will help ease some of these issues; allowing commands to provide feedback to Millington about what their needs are. For example, say you have a CSWI billeted to your command because that's what the EDVR calls for but what you really need is a SAMI, you will now have an instrument to fix that. Whether it actually works in reality is still to be seen.

Ha. Hahhahah. HAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

The answer is no.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
At the rate NPC, the Pentagon and the civilian think tanks are trying to reduce personnel costs, I do not see O-3's going to 20 years and then retiring with a full active duty pension. If I was to bet, I would say it could go the other way and twice passed O-4's would be sent to SELRES to get their pensions at age 60, i.e. - nothing is guaranteed until year reach 18 years of active service (sanctuary). I believe the Air Force has done some of this in the past.

I've done some research on this (including a search on AW) and can only find the actual law referencing it and people saying it exists. Does anybody have any experience with this actually being used (ideally for an AD LT)? Is it automatic, need to apply or request it, ensure detailer/command knows, etc? Any experience or information would be greatly appreciated.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I've done some research on this (including a search on AW) and can only find the actual law referencing it and people saying it exists. Does anybody have any experience with this actually being used (ideally for an AD LT)? Is it automatic, need to apply or request it, ensure detailer/command knows, etc? Any experience or information would be greatly appreciated.

I work with reservists so this is what I'm familiar with.

http://dopma-ropma.rand.org/sanctuary.html

As for an active duty guy that was never a reservist, I think selective continuation may be what would apply.

http://dopma-ropma.rand.org/selective-continuation.html

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I work with reservists so this is what I'm familiar with.

http://dopma-ropma.rand.org/sanctuary.html

As for an active duty guy that was never a reservist, I think selective continuation may be what would apply.

The Reserves take that shit seriously. They're not funded for full (i.e., active duty) retirements, and do everything short of a felony to make sure you stay out of sanctuary.

I saw secondhand a chief who managed to sneak under the sanctuary barbed wire fence, by means of continually re-upped 30-day orders. He never did mobs or ADSWs or anything else that would trigger the routine scrutiny, and nobody at the command thought to look at his total active time. And he was clever enough not to mention it to anyone until he dropped his papers. CNFR went bananas but in the end had no choice but to give him his AD retirement.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
..I saw secondhand a chief who managed to sneak under the sanctuary barbed wire fence, by means of continually re-upped 30-day orders. He never did mobs or ADSWs or anything else that would trigger the routine scrutiny, and nobody at the command thought to look at his total active time. And he was clever enough not to mention it to anyone until he dropped his papers. CNFR went bananas but in the end had no choice but to give him his AD retirement.

Nice to see 'the man' get it stuck to him for once!

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot

I do happen to be the "lucky" individual "selected" as the legal officer in my squadron but even with my infinite wisdom of the law system my understanding of the continuation link you posted compared to the sanctuary link below is unclear. They both seem to get to the same end point of a 20 year AD retirement but the continuation sounds like it's only possible, not guaranteed. The continuation lingo uses "may be retained...if selected..." while the sanctuary law link below says "shall...be retained on active duty until he is qualified for retirement". It's confusing but hoping some have experienced this process or know how it applies. Another option I have is to call the provided number to PERS-83 (from the NPC website) who specializes in Officer Retirements and ask them since this is a somewhat mysterious topic.

Law: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/632

NPC on sanctuary: http://www.public.navy.mil/BUPERS-NPC/BOARDS/GENERALBOARDINFO/Pages/StatusNonSelect.aspx

BleedGreen

pilot

"Reserve officers must have less than 16 years of total active military service to qualify for receipt of orders or recall under active duty for operational support."

Anyone have experience in trying to enter the Reserves with more than 16 years of total military service? By the time my initial commitment is up I will have 17 years total service. If I chose to leave (or am told to leave) active duty at the 17 year mark, will retiring from the Reserves be an option according to the SECNAV INST from the link above?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I do happen to be the "lucky" individual "selected" as the legal officer in my squadron but even with my infinite wisdom of the law system my understanding of the continuation link you posted compared to the sanctuary link below is unclear. They both seem to get to the same end point of a 20 year AD retirement but the continuation sounds like it's only possible, not guaranteed. The continuation lingo uses "may be retained...if selected..." while the sanctuary law link below says "shall...be retained on active duty until he is qualified for retirement". It's confusing but hoping some have experienced this process or know how it applies. Another option I have is to call the provided number to PERS-83 (from the NPC website) who specializes in Officer Retirements and ask them since this is a somewhat mysterious topic.

Law: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/632

NPC on sanctuary: http://www.public.navy.mil/BUPERS-NPC/BOARDS/GENERALBOARDINFO/Pages/StatusNonSelect.aspx

Your best bet is to call PERS for sure. I know for a fact sanctuary applies to reservists but it's fuzzy for active duty.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
"Reserve officers must have less than 16 years of total active military service to qualify for receipt of orders or recall under active duty for operational support."

Anyone have experience in trying to enter the Reserves with more than 16 years of total military service? By the time my initial commitment is up I will have 17 years total service. If I chose to leave (or am told to leave) active duty at the 17 year mark, will retiring from the Reserves be an option according to the SECNAV INST from the link above?
I would think you could go SelRes but no ADT or ADSW. You probably could do AT and drills only. You could also go directly to the IRR, get 3 or 4 good years via correspondence courses and get your retirement that way. SelRes gives you a chance at promotion and thus a bigger retirement - nobody gets promoted above O-4 in the IRR nowadays.

BleedGreen

pilot
I would think you could go SelRes but no ADT or ADSW. You probably could do AT and drills only. You could also go directly to the IRR, get 3 or 4 good years via correspondence courses and get your retirement that way. SelRes gives you a chance at promotion and thus a bigger retirement - nobody gets promoted above O-4 in the IRR nowadays.
As long SelRes is still in the cards for me I am happy. Thanks for the clarification.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

We have quite a few guys in my unit with over 17 years of active duty (much of it since they have been in the reserves) that have a manpower code that says that they can't be mobilized. So as Randy says you are probably good for SELRES but wouldn't be able to be mob'd or go on any other active duty orders for any real length of time.

Another catch used to be that you had to serve 6 years in the reserves in order to get a reserve retirement but when I looked at it recently it appears that requirement went away a few years ago.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
I called PERS about how sanctuary/continuation applies to AD folks. The lady cleared it for me so I thought I'd pass on the info. Hope it helps.

Continuation applies to the individuals who have NOT reached 18 years of service and are FOSx2 (or being involuntary separated). If you are in this situation, your name is automatically reviewed at a continuation board to determine if big Navy will allow you to remain in AD service past your NLT separation date. If not approved to continue past your separation date, you're done. If you're approved to continue, you keep moving forward (with the hopes of hitting 18 years). Once you continue enough to reach 18 years of AD service is when sanctuary kicks. It is automatic and does not need to be applied to or requested by the member. So make it to 18 years of service and you are allowed to stay AD until you hit the 20 year retirement. If a member FOSx2 past their 18 year mark then no continuation is needed because they're already safe with sanctuary.

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
I called PERS about how sanctuary/continuation applies to AD folks. The lady cleared it for me so I thought I'd pass on the info. Hope it helps.

Continuation applies to the individuals who have NOT reached 18 years of service and are FOSx2 (or being involuntary separated). If you are in this situation, your name is automatically reviewed at a continuation board to determine if big Navy will allow you to remain in AD service past your NLT separation date. If not approved to continue past your separation date, you're done. If you're approved to continue, you keep moving forward (with the hopes of hitting 18 years). Once you continue enough to reach 18 years of AD service is when sanctuary kicks. It is automatic and does not need to be applied to or requested by the member. So make it to 18 years of service and you are allowed to stay AD until you hit the 20 year retirement. If a member FOSx2 past their 18 year mark then no continuation is needed because they're already safe with sanctuary.

It is important to note, that all the continuation plans that I have seen, do not apply until you are at least an O-4.
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2015/NAV15283.txt

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay.... How much longer does Secretary Mabus have in office? This shit has gotten way out of control...

View attachment 15449

Same directive went to the Marines too, they have to integrate boot camp now as well. His directive will not change terms like 'infantryman' and 'midshipman' though, leaves me to wonder which terms he is talking about?