• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SECNAV to Implement Sweeping Changes

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Guess SECNAV has been watching South Park:

Same directive went to the Marines too, they have to integrate boot camp now as well. His directive will not change terms like 'infantryman' and 'midshipman' though, leaves me to wonder which terms he is talking about?
...What does that leave to change? I can't think of anything off the top of my head.
"Effective immediately, the Command Security Manager will now be known as the Command Security Personager."

Duc'-guy25

pilot
I can see it now, World War 3, a destroyer is about to go into combat and the CO calls for crew to man battle stations. All female crew refuse to man stations out of being discriminated against and claim "they won't 'man' anything." As a result, the Tactical Conning Officer isn't there, nor the DCA and half the Sonar Techs and GM's. Boat takes a torpedo, all hands lost. Clearly SECNAV has foresight to this problem :rolleyes:.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
I can see it now, World War 3, a destroyer is about to go into combat and the CO calls for crew to man battle stations. All female crew refuse to man stations out of being discriminated against and claim "they won't 'man' anything." As a result, the Tactical Conning Officer isn't there, nor the DCA and half the Sonar Techs and GM's. Boat takes a torpedo, all hands lost. Clearly SECNAV has foresight to this problem :rolleyes:.
While clearly in (dystopian) jest, I'd like to think the need for self-preservation outweighs the need to (metaphorically) burn bras to make a point. If it's a choice between fighting the enemy, or fighting sharks, I'm choosing the enemy every time; much higher probability of success*.

*No, I can't actually quantify the probability of success, but anecdotally,sharks have way more teeth than Ido, and less reservation to using them.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Funny thing - there was a discussion I heard somewhere a few years back about the origins of the word "man," especially as a verb, and the phrase "all hands" was linked to it. If you think about it, in any romance language the word for hand at starts or sounds like "man-." So when we say "man your post" the phrase has more to do with you occupying your post and it has little to do with the gender. In this case, the hyper-feminist argument can be easily diffused with knowledge, rather than the doomed-to-fail "tradition" defense. Discussions on wikipedia are actually pretty robust.

Or you can look at it this way: we're all men here.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
when we say "man your post" the phrase has more to do with you occupying your post and it has little to do with the gender. In this case, the hyper-feminist argument can be easily diffused with knowledge, rather than the doomed-to-fail "tradition" defense. Discussions on wikipedia are actually pretty robust.
This.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
While clearly in (dystopian) jest

Funny thing - there was a discussion I heard somewhere a few years back about the origins of the word "man," especially as a verb, and the phrase "all hands" was linked to it. If you think about it, in any romance language the word for hand at starts or sounds like "man-." So when we say "man your post" the phrase has more to do with you occupying your post and it has little to do with the gender. In this case, the hyper-feminist argument can be easily diffused with knowledge, rather than the doomed-to-fail "tradition" defense. Discussions on wikipedia are actually pretty robust.

Yes, it was very much in jest. I do not actually envision the scenario above happening because it is in fact ludicrous, and that it was in a verb form, which was non-applicable to the current situation, in an attempt to use comedy to demonstrate how silly I consider removing man from everything is. To myself, man in the instance of titles refers to the definition of "human regardless of race, age or gender," or humans as a whole as to not discriminate between individuals or sexes.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, he has turned sniping at senior officers and officials into sport.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Didn't you mention something about some Marine Generals were getting tired of taking order from him a while ago?

Yeah. The CG 3D MAW CG pretty much made him persona non grata a few years back, which must've been awkward, since Miramar is part of his district.

SlickAg

pilot
If any of you haven't read about the Laughlin IP debacle, I'd encourage you to do so. Although the author of the blog has his detractors as well, I'm sure that at least three young officers in Del Rio are thankful that one blogger raised enough attention that Congressman Hunter took the Air Force to task. Some other very interesting reads from the Air Force's version of AskSkipper.

http://www.jqpublicblog.com/laughlin-pilots-cleared-to-fly-drug-reprimands-to-be-rescinded/

Hair Warrior

Contributor
If any of you haven't read about the Laughlin IP debacle, I'd encourage you to do so.
I feel bad for them. No one joins the military to see their career go this way.

However, a WG/CC cannot be perceived to sweep problems under the rug (see: command climate leadership removals), so punishment precedes the verdict.

Has the margin for leniency/waiting on all the facts changed over the years?