• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SECNAV to Implement Sweeping Changes

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
http://www.navytimes.com/story/mili...ary-ray-mabus-naval-academy-changes/27234685/

Summary of Changes:
- Air Force BCA standards
- PFA spot checks (between cycles)
- BCA failures will still be PFA eligible
- PT award
- 24-hour gym access
- Extended CDC hours
- 12-weeks maternity leave
- CAP will include shore commands
- Death to NKO GMTs (starting 01 June)
- The end of officer year group advancements
- More sabbatical billets (up to three years)
- More freedom for COs to advance, separate Sailors
- All rates open to females (no change to standards)
- Fortune 500 internships for top performing officers

I'm a fan of most of these. What does everyone else think?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
http://www.navytimes.com/story/mili...ary-ray-mabus-naval-academy-changes/27234685/

Summary of Changes:
- Air Force BCA standards
- PFA spot checks (between cycles)
- BCA failures will still be PFA eligible
- PT award
- 24-hour gym access
- Extended CDC hours
- 12-weeks maternity leave
- CAP will include shore commands
- Death to NKO GMTs (starting 01 June)
- The end of officer year group advancements
- More sabbatical billets (up to three years)
- More freedom for COs to advance, separate Sailors
- All rates open to females (no change to standards)
- Fortune 500 internships for top performing officers

I'm a fan of most of these. What does everyone else think?

I'm in favor of most of these. I always thought the rope and choke was ludicrous, especially for football players / weightlifters. Pass the PRT with a certain score and have the military leave you alone. Will be interesting to see how sabbatical time off affects the reserves.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most don't seem to be bad but the change to the USAF standard of taping might cause some grumbling, the zoomie guys I know generally don't like it and that includes one who aren't out of shape or fat.

The YG advancement change could be really big, I wonder how they implement it.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Hmmm. I wonder how many of these things will creep their way over to the Marine side of the house...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The AF body composition test isn't exactly easy. I was on an Air Force base for about 6 months and there was a good amount of bitching about the waist measurement from the guys I worked with.

Your waist can't be any larger than 39" regardless of how tall/short you are or how big your neck is. If I remember correctly it's 35" for women. If it's over those numbers you automatically fail the PRT regardless of how well you do or what your actual body fat percentage is. I know some guys who have waists larger than that but are actually fit and pass the Navy test because they have a big neck. There is a BMI function that comes into play if you fail the waist measurement but I don't know the details on it.

If they do it truly like the AF PRT, then that means it gets rid of the bike/elliptical/swim, and everyone runs. If you can't run, you have to be medically identified as not being able to run, and you do a 2 kilometer walk.

The plus side, you only have to do a minute of push ups and situps now.

The way the Air Force scores their tests makes it pretty tough to get an Excellent. Most everyone will get a Sat with some obviously failing.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Your waist can't be any larger than 39" regardless of how tall/short you are or how big your neck is. If I remember correctly it's 35" for women. If it's over those numbers you automatically fail the PRT regardless of how well you do or what your actual body fat percentage is....

I had forgotten the details but that sounds like what some do the zoomies were complaining about.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I'm in favor of most of these. I always thought the rope and choke was ludicrous, especially for football players / weightlifters. Pass the PRT with a certain score and have the military leave you alone. Will be interesting to see how sabbatical time off affects the reserves.
The rope and choke is a joke, but I think a lot of those 'weightlifter' types would be surprised to find that they are, in fact, over 22% BF if the Navy used a more accurate method like calipers. The rope and choke allows far more out of standards sailors to pass the BCA than causing in standards sailors to fail.

If the Navy is truly interested in accurately measuring BF%, it should move to calipers.

Your waist can't be any larger than 39" regardless of how tall/short you are or how big your neck is. If I remember correctly it's 35" for women. If it's over those numbers you automatically fail the PRT regardless of how well you do or what your actual body fat percentage is. I know some guys who have waists larger than that but are actually fit and pass the Navy test because they have a big neck. There is a BMI function that comes into play if you fail the waist measurement but I don't know the details on it.
Just a point of reference for a 'really big guy who is fit,' Arnold Schwarzenneger had a 29" (two-nine, not a typo) waist in his competition days. If you have a 39" waist, 99.9999% chance it's because you are fat.

Reactions: MR

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just a point of reference for a 'really big guy who is fit,' Arnold Schwarzenneger had a 29" waist in his competition days. If you have a 39" waist, 99.9999% chance it's because you are fat.
Just a point of reference about your point of reference . . . he was also on roids until they were banned, by his own admission. How about the average D1 offensive guard? There's someone who's arguably in ridiculous shape, potential gut notwithstanding.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Just a point of reference about your point of reference . . . he was also roided up like you read about. How about the average D1 offensive guard? There's someone who's arguably in ridiculous shape, potential gut notwithstanding.
Define 'in shape.' Is he a big guy able to push around other big guys for a few seconds with 40 seconds rest inbetween and several minute breaks when the defense is on the field? Yes.

Is he probably over the Navy's line in the sand of 22% bodyfat? Also yes.

Is he probably at higher risk for heart, joint, and other health problems that the military is attempting to mitigate by forcing its servicemembers to keep their weight in check? Yes.

Will he ever run fast enough to catch a CB who catches an interception? Hell no.

I'm not saying everyone needs to be built like Arnold, but there's a lot of fat to be put on in 10" of waistline for a 6'2" man.

Last edited: