• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SEALS: Officer v. Enlisted

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
If you want it- Ask for it. This applies for anything, in any service, at any time.

I know an O-6 who put on his FIRST assignment wish list that he wanted to be the CO of USCGC EAGLE (An O6 job...Not an O1 job). It took 26 or so years-but he got it- because he wanted it so bad he could taste it.

If you want to be a SEAL officer- Apply for OCS and try to get a BUDs contract. Don't get it- Enlist and try to get a BUDs slot.
Always make sure you get good info (from a SEAL program manager or someone else in a job like that) and always do what you can to make yourself more competive for the program.

Good luck in which ever path you choose!!

I don't think the purpose of the post was whether he could get to BUD/S through OCS, but rather how difficult is the route. It's a huge gamble when you're off the street competeing for an officer slot at BUD/S with the academy grads, world class swimmers, etc. First and foremeost you've got to decide if you really want to be a SEAL. If the answer is yes, then what do you gain by being an officer (except a cooler uniform?) The point is if you can't get to BUD/S through OCS, than enlisting may be the correct answer. If you really want to be a SEAL than altering your immediate goals from officer to enlisted will be but a small detour in your plans. Mustang SEAL officers are looked upon with great reverence in the Teams. By the way, don't ever tell anyone what a great leader you are, wait for them to tell you.

Mike-

S.O.B.

pilot
I don't think the purpose of the post was whether he could get to BUD/S through OCS, but rather how difficult is the route. It's a huge gamble when you're off the street competeing for an officer slot at BUD/S with the academy grads, world class swimmers, etc. First and foremeost you've got to decide if you really want to be a SEAL. If the answer is yes, then what do you gain by being an officer (except a cooler uniform?) The point is if you can't get to BUD/S through OCS, than enlisting may be the correct answer. If you really want to be a SEAL than altering your immediate goals from officer to enlisted will be but a small detour in your plans. Mustang SEAL officers are looked upon with great reverence in the Teams. By the way, don't ever tell anyone what a great leader you are, wait for them to tell you.

Mike-

When I was going through OCS there were a couple of Officer Candidates that were Seals but they weren't going back to teams. Is that atypical? I don't know if it was their choice. I think one was SNA and the other may have been a SWO.

Zissou

Banned
When I was going through OCS there were a couple of Officer Candidates that were Seals but they weren't going back to teams. Is that atypical? I don't know if it was their choice. I think one was SNA and the other may have been a SWO.

Not common. I know many HM's who have become MD or PA Medical Officers and one guy who became an aviator.

lmnop

I was on the ship with a guy who was a frog for 6 or 8 years prior to getting commissioned as a SWO. He lat transferred from SWO back to SPECWAR, screwed up while he was redoing SQT and I believe ended up getting out. Not a common career progression, but it does happen occasionally.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Not common. I know many HM's who have become MD or PA Medical Officers and one guy who became an aviator.

There was a prior SEAL who I believe had been NPQ'd from his program for a bad knee and came through OCS....he ended up going VQ Rota (Pilot). I recall he got a lot of special "attention" from the DIs....but the guy was a total badass, and held his own very well evidently.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There was a prior SEAL who I believe had been NPQ'd from his program for a bad knee and came through OCS....he ended up going VQ Rota (Pilot). I recall he got a lot of special "attention" from the DIs....but the guy was a total badass, and held his own very well evidently.

When your dad was an instructor at VF-101, we had a former SEAL come through the RAG. Unfortunately, he perished in a suspect vertigo incident after pulling up into an overcast while accclerating after flying over a group of friends at Sandbridge on an Apollo Longshot departure burning down gas for FCLP.

Brunes

pilot

Mike-

Prog- Stupid or not...EVERYONE knew what he was after. And his personal drive/motivation got him there eventually. He had a damn successful career- so I'm not going to question his methods. and I wasn't suggesting that he do the same thing. It's to illustrate a point.

Mike...Point of my post was- There isn't a "CAN'T". I'll bet going civilian to SEAL officer has happened in the past. It doesn't really matter how difficult it is- You need to explore/attempt every option to get to you goal. For the OP- His whole goal is to be a SEAL officer...so try to do that first- if it doesn't work out...Enlist and go SEALS...Work your way along to your goals.

and +1 on the leader comment...:icon_wink

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Oddly enough, I met a guy at the gym a couple months ago who went SEAL to Navy nurse. I saw the Budweiser on his khakis and the medical leaf insignia on his collar and asked what his story was. He told me he was a corpsman in the SEALS and thought that going officer was the way to go and did the nursing program. Then 9-11 happened and he's been trying to go back to the teams but they won't let him. At least I bet no one makes fun of him for being a male nurse!

AlphaTango

Civilian Seal

Bro,
Go enlisted first, get a couple work ups and tours under your belt. Then apply for OCS, it's easy day from there as long as you do your job prior to applying. Good luck

S.O.B.

pilot

There was a Seal at OCS around the same time as myself who was instructed to "push" and his response to the DI was "I have more push, then you have time."

Paddles

Definitely go officer over enlisted, no matter what the job.

Second, if the Navy didn't want SEAL officers off the street, then there wouldn't be a way to do it.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
18 posts in the last 3 years and two tonight on how going enlisted is stupid and NFO's teaching SNA's is stupid. Someone grew a set of balls... I smell a troll...

Paddles

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it. Although, I'm guessing my opinion is based on more experience then Inmop or xmid.