• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SEALS: Officer v. Enlisted

imnrange

So I got involved in the application process very late. Basically a week ago I made my original contact with the officer recruiter and shared my desire to be a Seal Officer. I have to have my complete packet in by mid October (oh, did I mention I'm not hooked up the slightest - just a normal dude)

Based on what I have read and he has shared very few officers are picked from the civilian side of things. All of this leading up to my one question.

How much time would a qualified enlisted Seal need to serve before having the opportunity to submit a packet for OCS?
- Keep in mind I already posses a BS in Criminal Justice and have completed and received my Masters (so completing the education required for an officer is complete). I ask because my goal is to not only become a Seal but an officer within the Seals as well.

Any insight / information would be greatly appreciated!

Hawk

MasterBates

A SEAL in my OCS class (mind you, this was over 7 years ago) did enlist with a Master's. He went to BUDS, did well in the teams, and then put in a package for OCS after an operational tour. Not sure on the minimum time requirement, but he was enlisted long enough to have a Good Conduct Medal (4 years).

xmid

pilot
Contributor
The Number of SPECWAR candidates at OCS while I was there accounts for 2/3rds the number that supposedly gets selected for OCS every year and they were all civilians off the street. So I'm calling bullshit on this widespread rumor that they don't select civilians.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
So I got involved in the application process very I ask because my goal is to not only become a Seal but an officer within the Seals as well.

Hawk,

First off it's always spelled SEALs (not Seals), and Teams are always capitalized. Anyway, it's always been much easier to earn a commission as a SPECWAR officer with enlisted time rather than coming from OCS. In fact, that may be your best chance.

You will have some significant enlisted time though, figure it'll take you at least a year and a half to make it to a Team, deploy twice which is about how long it takes to build a solid reputation and earn a recommendation for OCS. There have been a few guys who got to their respective Teams and the first thing out o their mouth was "I want to go to OCS". Highly frowned upon in a community where you live and die by your tactical performance and reputation.

I'll be the first to ask: what makes you think you are qualified to be a Plt Leader in a SEAL Team full of kids who have more combat experience than you'll ever see? You'll get that one about 5 times as you get closer to BUD/S. Look at it this way, you're still out there doin' the deed while you're waiting to go to OCS.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
^He knows what he's talking about far better than I do. He was a SEAL before he flew helos for the Army. I was just talking of my experience at OCS. It is possible to get selected as a civilian. Most of the guys I knew at OCS didn't make it through BUDs. The enlisted route may be the better way to go.

Amall

I have a buddy from school who is a LT with the teams out here. He wanted to be a SEAL, entered OCS with a SWO contract then got a contract to go to BUDs after 3 or 4 years. He had a bachelors and he played football at my university (D-1) and played in the pros for a short time as well. Point being, obviously incredibly fit and capable with degree but, still had to spend some time as a SWO before earning a slot at BUDs. He has told me that he was the only officer not from USNA in his class. From that info, seems pretty tough to get a contract directly. Maybe you could ask your recruiter about the option of another career field and then transferring over.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
In my time at OCS we had about 1 SEAL per class. They worked their asses of to get that slot (ie killing the PRT). It took the SEAL in my class two years to get his slot, about the same for the guys in the classes around us. So yeah it can be done, just know that you better be willing to work for it.

Zissou

Banned
There are many commissioning programs within NSW. More likely than not after a few years you will not want a commission. I know more SEAL O-3's who wish they were E-5's than vice versa.

For most SEAL officers the operational career ends after PL Command. Thirty two years old is too young to be put out to pasture.

Focus on the BUD/S part for now. That little obstacle might be more than you bargained for already.

You can find a SEAL Motivator at navyseals.com

Good luck.

imnrange

Thanks guys. From what I've found on the web, discussed with the recruiters and heard from all of you it seems to me that the best way to go about it is through the enlisted route. I'm a hell of a leader but it doesn't make sense to come in a civi off the street and lead a team who's been there done that, over and over again. Again - much appreciate for the honesty!

Hawk

Clux4

Banned
You will not be the first one to come off the street and try the Team out, neither will you be the last guy. If you are a good leader, you will always be one and if you suck being enlisted does not make you a better leader.
Just like saying prior enlisted USMC Infantry guys make great Platoon Commanders. Not really. There is a difference between leading and following.
Your men will doubt your experience when you show up and will doubt it until you prove yourself. Besides, you will have a Chief and as long as you listen to him, you will be ALRIGHT!

I am not a SEAL

Zissou

Banned
Thanks guys. From what I've found on the web, discussed with the recruiters and heard from all of you it seems to me that the best way to go about it is through the enlisted route. I'm a hell of a leader but it doesn't make sense to come in a civi off the street and lead a team who's been there done that, over and over again. Again - much appreciate for the honesty!

Hawk

Be sure you speak with a SEAL Motivator. They will ensure that you have the correct information and follow the right path to get to BUD/S.

If you are getting your info from a regular Navy recruiter: BUYER BEWARE

Do your research, make the commitment, and prepare for BUD/S.

Good luck.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.

Hawk
How are you going to feel when the guy off the street is leading you, though?

If you really want to be a SEAL officer, then apply for it and bust your ass in the interim getting in shape. The worst that can happen is they say no, and then you either re-apply or decide that being a SEAL is more important than a commission and enlist.

Brunes

pilot
If you want it- Ask for it. This applies for anything, in any service, at any time.

I know an O-6 who put on his FIRST assignment wish list that he wanted to be the CO of USCGC EAGLE (An O6 job...Not an O1 job). It took 26 or so years-but he got it- because he wanted it so bad he could taste it.

If you want to be a SEAL officer- Apply for OCS and try to get a BUDs contract. Don't get it- Enlist and try to get a BUDs slot.
Always make sure you get good info (from a SEAL program manager or someone else in a job like that) and always do what you can to make yourself more competive for the program.

Good luck in which ever path you choose!!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I know an O-6 who put on his FIRST assignment wish list that he wanted to be the CO of USCGC EAGLE (An O6 job...Not an O1 job).

Okay, frankly that's a pretty dumb thing to do. Put a picture of what you want on your bathroom mirror, say a prayer about it, draw a picture in crayon, whatever, but putting an O-6 job on a selection sheet when you're an O-1 is stupid, if for no other reason than you just wasted one of the slots on the form, beside the fact that the guy doing the assignments is going to laugh at you. I one wants to be a squadron CO, he starts by putting his aircraft on the wish list, not "squadron CO."