• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SEAL/SPECWAR questions

froggystyle

Hey just wanted to create a current thread for members that are interested in the SEAL community. I’m an AD BUD/S instructor currently and will be shortly on my way to OCS. I spend a lot of time reading old threads on OCS so while I’m on the forum I don’t mind fielding questions. Not sure if there are any other frogmen onboard that serve as a resource, if not, you’ll have me for several more weeks.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Assuming he’s staying in the SEAL route, I don’t think I have ever seen a candidate lurk around AWs. I know there’s maybe 1-2 NSW forums out there that I believe most of not all 1180 Candidates typically follow.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
What could a SEAL Chief possibly learn at OCS?
Meh. It's a check in the box and a means to an end. OCS, ODS, and DCO are the only way the Navy can standardize the process. I prefer the Marine Corps way which is every single officer - Active or Reserve - is sent through TBS.

Aside from OCS, he could go the LDO route (715X) and end up in Officer Development School (ODS). There were 2 AD SEALs in the ODS class that shared the floor with my DCO (Reserve version of ODS) class. I asked the Master Chief his decision making process as I was truly curious (first time I've ever seen it) why an E9 SEAL would go Warrant. Aside form being highly decorated, he wanted to keep in the game and not "sit at a desk" as a SEL, and the only way he could do it was to get commissioned as a Warrant Officer. I think they commissioned him as a W3 due to his enlisted rank, but I do not recall.

I also had in my Reserve DCO class an E8 corpsman (Special Amphibious Reconnaissance Corpsmen (SARC) and prior Army LRS) who was commissioned as an O3 because he had gone to medical school and became a doctor. Also had a E7 SWCC who got commissioned as a security LDO.

Last edited:

froggystyle

yeah, enlisted guys like to go the O route to prolong a career of shooting turds in the face, as opposed to working the finger ninjutsu on an excel spreadsheet (even though there is still plenty of that). That’s why I am doing it anyways... The warrant route is ok, but you are used in a training capacity in NSW, again not an option if you’d like to continue shooting turds in the face.

Last edited:

not_the_lasagna

pilot
Hey just wanted to create a current thread for members that are interested in the SEAL community. I’m an AD BUD/S instructor currently and will be shortly on my way to OCS. I spend a lot of time reading old threads on OCS so while I’m on the forum I don’t mind fielding questions. Not sure if there are any other frogmen onboard that serve as a resource, if not, you’ll have me for several more weeks.

I'm actually glad you posted here. Though I'm an applicant to the aviation community, I've been following the BUD/S warning order workout and then some, because I want to show up in the best shape I can. This is not only so that I am fully prepared for the physical component of OCS, but in the event that I am medically DQ'd or otherwise declared unfit to fly due to circumstances outside of my control, is it still possible for me to try to get to BUD/S? That is, assuming I am actually in the shape I need to be. Right now, I just about meet the minimums for BUD/S, but I've got some time.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I'm actually glad you posted here. Though I'm an applicant to the aviation community, I've been following the BUD/S warning order workout and then some, because I want to show up in the best shape I can. This is not only so that I am fully prepared for the physical component of OCS, but in the event that I am medically DQ'd or otherwise declared unfit to fly due to circumstances outside of my control, is it still possible for me to try to get to BUD/S? That is, assuming I am actually in the shape I need to be. Right now, I just about meet the minimums for BUD/S, but I've got some time.

Like if you get the NAMI whammy or straight up DQ for pilot while applying?