• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SEAL/SPECWAR questions

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
It’s all really just proper use of The Force, the dark side that is. Come down to San Diego, we can hit up Hooters and I’ll demonstrate.
Heck...I'd be up for that! All I gotta do is get med up and make it through B-737 school. Can we hit up Dunkin' Donuts too? I'm a big fan of Dunkin' as well as Hooters. No kidding! :D

Also, several years ago I read the non-fiction book The Finishing School (pictured below) by retired Navy Captain D. Couch. In my humble opinion, I thought it was excellent...I had no idea that it took so long to earn the Trident...and that training just continues and continues...and CONTINUES. For some reason I had thought that the Trident was earned at the end of BUDS...nope. In your professional opinion, is this a good book? Also, what other publications would you recommend for those interested in pursuing the Trident or for those interested regarding the SEALs in general?

The-Finishing-School.jpg

froggystyle

Don’t need to ask me twice about Dunkin Donuts, when I popped out of the womb I landed in a basket of vanilla iced donuts at dunkin.

Yeah The Finishing School is a good book. Dick Couch actually wrote another one before that that covered BUD/S (all phases and in depth hellweek). That is also recommended to someone interested in NSW. There are a lot of books out there that are interesting but in my opinion they are stories about the author [co-author’s] own valor. Cool yeah, but I get tired of the “I’m a One-Man-National-Asset so read about my personal account of whoop ass” books. I actually like to read books on mental toughness and self efficacy, those are what I would recommend to get the mind right. Marcus Aurelius’ “Meditations”; and James Kerr’s “Legacy” are two that come to mind

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
what % get MP-5's? (asking for a friend)

;)

2011_05_27_17_38_38.pdf001_21-463x600.jpg

froggystyle

@froggystyle should I tell my SEAL candidates to wear Oakley or Gatorz sunglasses when they show up to SOAS?
Haha, well tell them gatorz and crye uniforms, so that judgement can be passed on them before their first PT....... realistically though, they’d never be allowed to wear either, but I know you are just playin around

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Post-commissioning, how much of a probationary period is there for prior-E officers who come back to the Teams? It would seem like they wouldn't be treated like conventional new guys. I'm guessing previous reputation might have something to do with it, as well.

froggystyle

Post-commissioning, how much of a probationary period is there for prior-E officers who come back to the Teams? It would seem like they wouldn't be treated like conventional new guys. I'm guessing previous reputation might have something to do with it, as well.
None, you attend a 6 week junior officer training course and then you jump right back into a platoon as an AOIC or third officer. Preferably a third O so you can still be a primary shooter while learning how to be a competent OIC. And you’re right, you aren’t (shouldn’t be) treated as a new guy, from my experiences they are looked up to quite a bit

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
None, you attend a 6 week junior officer training course and then you jump right back into a platoon as an AOIC or third officer. Preferably a third O so you can still be a primary shooter while learning how to be a competent OIC. And you’re right, you aren’t (shouldn’t be) treated as a new guy, from my experiences they are looked up to quite a bit

Thanks for the response. Have fun at OCS!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

I know this was alluded to above, so maybe I missed the exact answer, but why would a prior E go warrant or LDO vs URL? I have heard what you mentioned about basically "staying in the fight" by commissioning mostly to "start over" before getting shoved behind a desk, so what's the difference in utilization of a new Warrant, LDO, or URL SEAL O?