• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Seahawks Sink Houthi Boats

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Who else is telling Naval Aviation's story? Navy sucks generally at self promotion and publicity of its achievements. In AF land you would be seeing lots of Public Affairs coverage of everyone involved in the kill-chain of the Houthie surface vessels. In addition to very public personal awards for the crews. Who is supposed to tell the Navy story in this way?

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
I know a lot of you guys like throwing darts at Ward - but his channel numbers are growing... impressive. And he clearly is seen as a credible actor with his access to Flags - in this case CNAL aboard CVN-78. Good interview I thought.

Your thoughts?

The general civilian population which is probably his audience could decipher that interview pretty well.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Why isn't this story on the nightly news - with a very public award decoration. Histpry and heritage being made here and "aww shucks" Naval Aviation culture is shooting itself in the foot by not telling the story of maritime / seapower to the American public. Heros and glory are part of military culture - these are virtues to be celebrated. (The USAF gets this)

taxi1

pilot
Why isn't this story on the nightly news - with a very public award decoration. Histpry and heritage being made here and "aww shucks" Naval Aviation culture is shooting itself in the foot by not telling the story of maritime / seapower to the American public. Heros and glory are part of military culture - these are virtues to be celebrated. (The USAF gets this)

Super cool if he's thumping them for the kill.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Who else is telling Naval Aviation's story? Navy sucks generally at self promotion and publicity of its achievements. In AF land you would be seeing lots of Public Affairs coverage of everyone involved in the kill-chain of the Houthie surface vessels. In addition to very public personal awards for the crews. Who is supposed to tell the Navy story in this way?
I dunno man, I’ve been around AF PA long enough now to know that instead of it being correctly identified as the destroyer USS Carney, they’d say it was Jim Bob on his bass boat known as USS Boaty McBoatface

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

Just a semi-educated guess, but there might be more publicity later, when operational details of weapon/target pairing and specific COAs against the Houthis are slightly less sensitive. There may be political implications too; not all publicity is good, particularly when escalation of the conflict is such a concern.

Before you go full Chuck on my answer, remember this: I'm answering your question with a guess. Yelling at me is literally like an old man yelling at a cloud. I have zero capacity as a deadbeat O-5 reservist to change any public policy, nor do I want to get wrapped up in a policy debate. What matters to me is we're finally hitting back at the Houthis.

Fuck 'em.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Now, a a tax payer I’d rather see something more affordable like gun-armed AT-6’s (or OV-10’s) hunting drones. Bullets are considerably cheaper than missiles.

croakerfish

pilot
Now, a a tax payer I’d rather see something more affordable like gun-armed AT-6’s (or OV-10’s) hunting drones. Bullets are considerably cheaper than missiles.
You think fielding a whole new platform with its own community of pilots and maintainers who aren’t involved in other missions, with an FRS and everything, that doesn’t fit on the same boat without sacrificing other platforms, or needs a separate land-based facility that itself requires a huge supply footprint is worth the savings in flight hours on a better platform?

IMG_4153.gif

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
You think fielding a whole new platform with its own community of pilots and maintainers who aren’t involved in other missions, with an FRS and everything, that doesn’t fit on the same boat without sacrificing other platforms, or needs a separate land-based facility that itself requires a huge supply footprint is worth the savings in flight hours on a better platform?

View attachment 39886
You’re right…we need to save space in the boat so our $415 BILLION jet fighter can shoot down $1000 drones with $150K missiles. What was I thinking?

There was a time when our navy (like our AF still does) had different airframes for different jobs. It can be done.

croakerfish

pilot
You’re right…we need to save space in the boat so our $415 BILLION jet fighter can shoot down $1000 drones with $150K missiles. What was I thinking?

There was a time when our navy (like our AF still does) had different airframes for different jobs. It can be done.
I mean yeah, if you want a boat filled with Gen 5 pipe hitters it costs what it costs. You can either use it for training only until we get a mission only it can do or you can let the crews cut their teeth and get a taste of launching for real in the meantime. I don’t think you can put a price on experience and we don’t get infinite opportunities to play for keeps.

Buying a cheaper ship with cheaper planes isn’t going to stop us from buying the good stuff. It’s not like we can have the VBSS team drive around with goose guns to shoot them down.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I mean yeah, if you want a boat filled with Gen 5 pipe hitters it costs what it costs. You can either use it for training only until we get a mission only it can do or you can let the crews cut their teeth and get a taste of launching for real in the meantime. I don’t think you can put a price on experience and we don’t get infinite opportunities to play for keeps.

Buying a cheaper ship with cheaper planes isn’t going to stop us from buying the good stuff. It’s not like we can have the VBSS team drive around with goose guns to shoot them down.
I’d dare say we could afford both and reply the ones we need in the right situation.