• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SCOTUS affirms gun rights in historic decision

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
It's always worthwhile noting what the enemy thinks. And in this case, I mean the enemy ....

For example this linked op-ed piece from the Atlanta Journal Constitution was penned by the mayor of Atlanta, Shirley Franklin (r-i-i-i-i-i-ight :)). Also contributing to this column were such anti-gun rights stalwarts as Tom Barrett, mayor of Milwaukee; Manuel A. Diaz, mayor of Miami; Gavin Newsom, mayor of San Francisco; Greg Nickels, mayor of Seattle; and Douglas H. Palmer, mayor of Trenton, N.J.

Cities will pay a heavy price if handgun ban is overturned
AJC said:
"Washington, D.C.'s handgun restrictions have led to one of the lowest suicide rates in the nation."
If that's the best stat you can find in support of the DC handgun ban, it's time to just concede the argument.

Scoob

pilot
Contributor
Jackass said:
Here's another example of where home defense with firearms could have been beneficial
http://kfyi.com/pages/local_news.html?feed=118695&article=3875223

Note that they said the intruders may have been members of the Mexican army and were armed with AR-15s!
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that if Mexican drug cartels are hiring members of the Mexican Army to assassinate you, you're probably not a law abiding citizen anxiously awaiting the Supreme Court decision that will reinforce your inalienable right to defend your home and family. But that's just me.

On another note:
Spencer said a police officer told him that one of the men captured said they were completely prepared to ambush Phoenix police, but ran out of ammunition.
I'm beginning to see why the Mexican Army isn't exactly a force to be reckoned with. I guess they just meant they were mentally prepared.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Heller upheld. 2nd amendment is an individual right to KBA. Details to follow in opinion.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I expect Scalia to affirm that the individual right to bear arms was never connected to the militia or collective right.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Vindication, hopefully Chicago is next. I'd love to see the court stick it to mayor Daley.

Scoob

pilot
Contributor
Jackass said:
In dissent, Justice John Paul Stevens wrote that the majority "would have us believe that over 200 years ago, the Framers made a choice to limit the tools available to elected officials wishing to regulate civilian uses of weapons."

He said such evidence "is nowhere to be found."
[Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty, teeth and keystone under independence. The church, the plow, the prairie wagon and citizens' firearms are indelibly related. From the hour the pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that, to ensure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. Every corner of this land knows firearms, and more than 99 and 99/100 percent of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil influence. They deserve a place of honor with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour.]

~George Washington's address to the second session of the First U.S. Congress:
Apparently, the good Justice Stevens is not a lurker on AW.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty, teeth and keystone under independence. The church, the plow, the prairie wagon and citizens' firearms are indelibly related. From the hour the pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that, to ensure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. Every corner of this land knows firearms, and more than 99 and 99/100 percent of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil influence. They deserve a place of honor with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour."

~George Washington's address to the second session of the First U.S. Congress:

Bullsh!t, George Washington never said anything like that........99/100 percent?

http://www.saf.org/pub/rkba/general/BogusFounderQuotes.htm

A real quote:

"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others, for essential, particularly for military supplies."

http://www.guncite.com/gc2ndbog.html

http://www.teachingamericanhistory.org/library/index.asp?document=324

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
So what does this mean for other cities with gun bans like NYC?Steve

Directly, nothing.

Someone or some organization (NRA) would have to file an action, citing the SCOTUS opinion. More than likely win, but if you are talking about an action, say in 9th COA in Frisco, would probably not win and would have to appeal.

Long term benefits of the decision are great, IMHO.

Vote, vote often, it does make a difference. Absent Alito, Roberts, would probably have a different deicsion. :eek:

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Directly, nothing.

Oh, and you can bet that leftist, liberal DC will continue to fight. For instance, there is no where in DC, that I know of, that one can buy a firearm. Certainly one cannot come of DPK Maryland and buy one to take it back.
:p

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The decisions handed down from SCOTUS affect us all, each & every day.

This also points to the absolute importance of defeating an eminently unqualified, left wing, agenda driven individual in his quest for the highest office in the land 4 months hence ... as 2-3 Supreme Court appointments could be made by the next administration.

Today, however, it's a GREAT day to be an American. :)