• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SCOTUS affirms gun rights in historic decision

BoaisyJon

Point of parliamentary procedure!
Supreme Court Gun Ban Ruling Expected Tomorrow

The U.S. Supreme Court today did not release its long-awaited ruling on whether the District's handgun ban violates the Second Amendment. That means the potentially landmark decision will almost certainly come tomorrow morning when the court is planning to issue the last of its rulings for the term. The case, District of Columbia v. Heller, which was argued nearly four months ago, could settle the decades-old debate over whether the Second Amendment grants individuals the right to own firearms.
Mayor Adrain M. Fenty is planning to hold a news conference at the John A. Wilson Building after the decision is announced.

Paul Duggan

I can't understand why there are people who want to actually give up their second amendment rights. It seems to me that it's not about being the big swingin dick on your street, but of the citizenry to protect itself from the government infringing on all other rights. Furthermore, ruling against the second amendment sets a dangerous precedent.

"Oh, you can no longer have the first amendment either....because even though you were a law-abiding citizen, it's just too dangerous to have that kind of thing in society"

I'm not a gun owner, and outside of duty, I don't ever really intend to be, but I'm not a fan of a government expanding its powers beyond its constitutional boundaries.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't understand why there are people who want to actually give up their second amendment rights. It seems to me that it's not about being the big swingin dick on your street, but of the citizenry to protect itself from the government infringing on all other rights. Furthermore, ruling against the second amendment sets a dangerous precedent.

"Oh, you can no longer have the first amendment either....because even though you were a law-abiding citizen, it's just too dangerous to have that kind of thing in society"
Because people have lived in safety for so long that they seriously cannot comprehend:

a) there are dangerous people in the world who may want to do you serious harm for no other reason than because they can
b) the government may be composed wholly or partially of said people
c) wishing all the guns away won't make those people any less dangerous. Refer to the spate of knifings and samurai sword assaults in Britain these days.

Ironically enough, I believe it was Lenin who said that it doesn't matter whether you're interested in war (or violence in general). What matters is whether war is interested in you.

Zissou

Banned
All the indications from NRA-ILA's Chris Cox is very positive. He said five years ago we would have lost this one. The NRA sponsors some of the most effective lobbying on the Hill. That takes money and support.

www.nraila.org if you havent joined? Its free for servicemembers.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
some of the all stars on the case....
ginsburg.JPG

image547375x.jpg

Justice_stevens_small.jpg

breyer_lawpanel_gesture.jpg

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The greatest example of the relevance of the 2nd Amendment in today's world: The LA Riots after the Rodney King Verdict. Many Korean store owners defended their property, and their lives, with firearms. If you haven't figured it out, there can be bad blood between black gangs and Koreans in LA. When they came looking for a fight... they found one they weren't expecting.

Another example is homeowners defending their property in New Orleans after Katrina, when the government COULD NOT protect them.

Proof that the 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or target shooting.

BoaisyJon

Point of parliamentary procedure!
The greatest example of the relevance of the 2nd Amendment in today's world: The LA Riots after the Rodney King Verdict. Many Korean store owners defended their property...

Defending your property is an important aspect of the second amendment, but its practically an ancillary benefit. We've got the second amendment to protect all the rest of our rights in lieu of government. I can find who the quote is attributed to but "Armed people make for good citizens, while unarmed people make for good subjects"...something to that effect. If the government eventually reaches a tipping point of unconstitutional behavior, it is the duty of the citizenry to overthrow that government.

I don't know what the protocol is for someone that wants to be an officer, so if I'm way out of line here, please let me know (I know that there's gotta be a good amount of checking your politics at the door).

Zissou

Banned
I don't know what the protocol is for someone that wants to be an officer, so if I'm way out of line here, please let me know (I know that there's gotta be a good amount of checking your politics at the door).

LOL! Have you read any threads here?:D

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Defending your property is an important aspect of the second amendment, but its practically an ancillary benefit. We've got the second amendment to protect all the rest of our rights in lieu of government. I can find who the quote is attributed to but "Armed people make for good citizens, while unarmed people make for good subjects"...something to that effect. If the government eventually reaches a tipping point of unconstitutional behavior, it is the duty of the citizenry to overthrow that government.

I wasn't clear enough. They were defending their properties AND their being. Look what they did to Reginal Denny (no idea how to spell his name). He didn't do anything and was almost beaten to death. And in my opinion, if that property is their livelyhood and supports their family and life... that's a right to defense right there, and most states support that idea.