• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scores

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannon

You guys should have asked your test administer to calculate the score for you- it would be an unofficial score, but one none the less. They can only do this though if you take it at the place where the answer keys are kept.

Fmr1833 said:
My NROTC Battalion (USF) took a prototype new test last Spring. The woman who administered the test was the civilian administrator for NOMI who handles the scoring of the ASTB. She told us the reason this was being re-designed was that a USMC recruiter (I assume an OSO) had made photocopies of the ASTB and had passed them out to his applicants as a practice test. She says that he was misinformed about the fact that the test he had at the time was the real deal and not some defunct copy. Regardless, the test made it online via chat sites like this one and many applicants took a test that they had already seen. She told us that it had taken weeks to search the internet to find all the online copies and that every other week or so they still hear about one being up and they immediately have it shut down.
This isn't a rumor or a fairy tale, it came from the horse's mouth and if you guys don't believe me I will call my LT and get the woman's name so you can all verify it.
Hope this helps.

There was a copy(and still is) a Marine ASTB study guide(has a Hornet on the front cover) that is extremely comprehensive. Many who used it have said on this board it was absolutely great gouge. But if it took them THAT long to change it...well, wow. It's been out for at least 1.5 years.

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
vegita1220 said:
There was a copy(and still is) a Marine ASTB study guide(has a Hornet on the front cover) that is extremely comprehensive. Many who used it have said on this board it was absolutely great gouge. But if it took them THAT long to change it...well, wow. It's been out for at least 1.5 years.

I hear you on the fact that it took that long to do something about it. That's why we asked the lady when we took it why they didn't just put out a new one. The response was that it takes a couple of years to do the proper research to ensure that a test as important as this one accurately scores what it is intended to. They also took the opportunity to change the test format a bit to make it more up-to-date. After they came out with the new version they were required to go through a lengthy period of testing - hence them coming to various NROTC units and giving it out as they did to us for testing purposes. We actually took the new ASTB in lab on Thursday and came back on Friday to take the old one for score. They did their due diligence to try and keep the copy out of circulation as best they could since they obviously couldn't just stop giving it all together. It's really too bad since there is a good chance that SOME of those who got aviation slots over the past few years because of phenomenal ASTB scores may have seen the thing ahead of time.

Just doing my part to keep everyone properly informed.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Finally got my scores! I actually had to call NOMI, as my test administrator had not yet gotten the scores in. Evidently, my ASTB has been scored since September 1st! :icon_rage

Anyways, I got the following:

OAR - 52
5/4/5 (not trying to be a pilot anyway. :icon_tong )

Keeping in mind that that was without studying, and before I found this website and usnavyocs.com, and that I had no idea what I was going in to be tested on, I figure that's pretty good.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Metro,
I would recommend that you study and take the test again to increase your competitiveness.
ea6bflyr

metro

Thanks ea6, I was thinking the same, but I know of a kid 2 years younger than me, with an easier (in my opinion) major, with a lower GPA, and the same OAR score, who got into Intel BDCP, which is exactly what I want, so I felt okay about those scores. I will have to meet with a Master Chief pretty soon, so I'll see how he feels about it, I guess.

But I probably will take it again, if for nothing other than personal pride!

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
Hey Metro, Take a look at ea6bflyr's profile and then seriously reconsider doing what's suggested. Those scores will NOT cut it in today's aviation climate. Just trying to help!

metro

I think I probably will retake it, especially since I have more than 5 days to prepare (that's how long I had the first time), and actually have an idea of what is on it, plus have found this site and usnavyocs.com, allowing me to gather a bit more info about what I should study. I feel confident I can bump the score up 5-8 points, probably.

I am actually not shooting for aviation, though. My first "choice" is Intel, followed by Crypto, then Supply. Strangely enough, I'm not big on flying.

metro

I'm beginning to wonder if the "competitive range" for the new ASTB tests is different from the old tests.

I say this because I have seen many people scoring in the low- to mid-40s range on these new forms, and I just got my scores back and got a 52, which, according to this site and airwarriors.com, is a "low-range" competitive score. However, when I spoke to the program coordinator in Louisville today about retesting, hoping to get a more competitive score, the Master Chief in that office was very adamant in his recommendation that I keep my score of 52, and noted that it was, in his own words, "extremely high."

From what I had gleaned from these two sites, a truly competitive score would be in the high 50's or anywhere in the 60's, with a few people scoring even higher than that.

Am I wrong? Who here has received their OAR scores from the new form(s) of the test? Let's figure this out!

navyjeff94

Final Select for Supply - 23 Apr 05 class
I scored a 42 on the test. My package is up at CNRC pending a board for Supply. I haven't received any input either way on where I may stand. The competitive range for Supply starts at 40 and this was based on a document from CNRC regarding officer programs. Different programs having different competitive ranges. I was only give the form for supply though.

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
I just took the ASTB yesterday and my recruiter said that he should have the scores in about two weeks. I asked him what a competitive score was and he said I needed to score at least 50, but that 55 was really competitive. I am going for Intel and my friend went sub-nuke last year. He got a 63 and that was considered competitive, but that was on the old test. He is going to OCS next week. I don't know if this helps, but this is what I heard from my recruiter.

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
For anyone who is still interested, I took the ASTB on October 15 and I got my scores back yesterday, October 26. I didn't do spectacularly well, I got a 53, but I hope my LORs and GPA [3.1 UG and 3.9 G] will help with the selection process. Judging from what everyone has been stating about the new test, a 53 is probably average. Let me know if anyone knows different.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
I had a 53 and higher GPA and did not get picked up for SNA. Got pro rec'd just not final select. What are you applying for? My recruiter said the avg. accepted OCS applicant has an ASTB of about 60 and 8/8/8. What are your pilot numbers?

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
I'm applying for Intel. My recruiter didn't give me my pilot scores, but I am going in to see him tomorrow and hope to get them then. I don't know how much they affect selection for Intel. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.