• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scale model fans...questions and showcase of work

NYCJetCharter

Does anyone enjoy modeling as a hobby? I've been building model airplanes since I was about 9 or 10. Mostly I focus on WWII aircraft and currently I have a Spitfire on the table. Though as modelers know, there's never just one model being worked on at a time.

Anyone else?

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I tried modeling, but my magnum was too fierce.

schwarti

Contributor
I'm not an ambiturner. It's been a big problem for me. :D

(More seriously, no - but search on here, not too long ago someone posted a link to a really incredible carrier model.)

B

Blutonski816

Does anyone enjoy modeling as a hobby?

Not since my 3 best friends passed away in a freak gasoline-fight accident.

In truth, I never had the patience for it... built a Sh*tty Porche 911 when I was 7, and then a never finished F-14D when I was 12...

All my model planes are of the pre-built die-Cast variety.
And one monstrous 1:32 scale F-4J in plastic...

Orion4life

black cat

I made a F14 model when I was 12 and tried painting it like the black one at Pt. Mugu. I ran out of paint and it turned out to be crap.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
The first model I ever built was a tiny piece of crap HMS Prince of Wales that I put together in about two minutes quickly followed by some snap and glue Star Wars stuff.

I've been slowly working on a balsa Guillow's Stearman since I was about 9... If it doesn't get done this summer my Mom will toss it.

I tried my hand at self-designed Este's-style rockets. Multi-stage, cluster engines, all manner of silliness. I felt my craftsmanship got a check plus, but my math was often... off. Decided the aero-engineering thing was not for me.

In high school I built a few Tamiya waterline WWII Japanese 1/700 plastic ships, have six I ordered from Japan just sitting in my room (wanted a full diagnostic of their naval architecture but lost momentum if you will...). Little brother wants me to build a 1/100 Tamiya F-4 with him this summer, but I'm hesitant to invest in an airbrush (which I understand is a must for airplanes / camoflauge). Hand-brushed acrylics may be the dark ages, but I get enjoyment out of them.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I've got @ 300 kits, mostly NIB, all instruction sheets and decals, all parts on the trees, etc., just sitting around and waiting ... and waiting .... and waiting.

Ships, armour, aircraft ... 15-30+ years old ... all the usual suspects ... m
ostly Japanese and English kits w/ a smattering of US kits that have now become "collectible" by virtue of going out of production. I paid a fraction of what they are now worth -- I can't believe how some of the scale kits have gone through the roof, price-wise.

I used to be an active modeler (found it relaxing) but I got discouraged w/ the repetitive Navy/airline moves w/ the resultant damage to or destruction of some very nice kits involving a lot of labor-intensive detail work. Frustrating ...

I suppose I should get them all cataloged and sell 'em on EBay. But that's no fun .... :sleep_125

FastMover

NFO
None
I have enjoyed building model airplane kits since I was a kid and still really enjoy building them now. Before I left for OCS I was about 90% finished with a Hasegawa SH-3 Sea King that should turn out pretty nice. Most of the stuff I have is from the Vietnam and WWII era, i.e. Trumpeter 1/32 A-7, Hasegawa 1/48 A-4 and 1/72 RA-5, etc.

Here are some pics of a Hasegawa TA-4 in 1/32 that I built a while back.

DSC00110.jpg

DSC00108.jpg

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
I've got @ 300 kits, mostly NIB, all instruction sheets and decals, all parts on the trees, etc., just sitting around and waiting ... and waiting .... and waiting.

Ships, armour, aircraft ... 15-30+ years old ... all the usual suspects ... m
ostly Japanese and English kits w/ a smattering of US kits that have now become "collectible" by virtue of going out of production. I paid a fraction of what they are now worth -- I can't believe how some of the scale kits have gone through the roof, price-wise.

I used to be an active modeler (found it relaxing) but I got discouraged w/ the repetitive Navy/airline moves w/ the resultant damage to or destruction of some very nice kits involving a lot of labor-intensive detail work. Frustrating ...

I suppose I should get them all cataloged and sell 'em on EBay. But that's no fun .... :sleep_125

You sound exactly like my dad... He has more kits than he knows what to do with. He was on a Bf-109 kick before he was mobilized. He definitely won't be bored once he retires. My mom can lock him in the basement with some paint and modeling cement...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You sound exactly like my dad... He has more kits than he knows what to do with. He was on a Bf-109 kick before he was mobilized. He definitely won't be bored once he retires. My mom can lock him in the basement with some paint and modeling cement...
Cracks me up .....

That's probably how I'll pack it in -- sitting out on the deck under the umbrella in a wheelchair w/ a shawl around my shoulders, a cigar in my face, and a Mai'Tai' sitting on the table -- all surrounded by a pile of boxes marked Fujimi, Hasegawa, Tamiya, Aoshima, Heller, Airfix, Monogram, Aurora, Sky Wave, Revelle, etc., etc. .... :)

While Trophy Wife takes her "love" to town ... and her name ain't Ruby (w/ appologies to Kenny Rogers). :D

FastMover

NFO
None
All you F-8 Crusader fans out there, get ready. It looks like Trumpeter will be releasing a 1/32 F-8 in the not too distant future. Here are some pics I found on ARC.

Better start saving now!

HUD'N HUD'N!!

F8_Full.jpg

F8_Canopy.jpg

F8_panels.jpg

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Now that's a good looking model. BTW, is that a shrike under the wing?? If so, I had no idea 'saders ever did Iron Hand SAM suppression. That variable incidence wing was a damn cool innovation as well, IMHO.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... BTW, is that a shrike under the wing?? If so, I had no idea 'saders ever did Iron Hand SAM suppression....
They did significant Iron Hand using Zuni's and 20mm ... I am unaware of any use of the AGM-45 by F8's, however. The Shrike was the province of the Navy Attack community ... think A4's, A6's, A7's .. the Air Force F4's and Thud's carried them on Wild Weasel missions (AF version of Iron Hand) as well ... I could be wrong -- just can't think of any F8's and Shrikes.

Whoever drew up the specs for the model above probably saw the missile mounted on an A7 and thought: why not??? :)

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
I used to do a little bit of modeling when I was younger but I sucked (think everything painted by hand). In order to be really impressive you have to be handy with an airbrush. I am seriously thinking about getting back into it. Right now I've built up a decent collection of high quality 1:72 die-cast aircraft.

this guy on ARC is probably one of the most brilliant modelers I have ever seen . A master craftsman.

Tamiya_F-14__005.JPG

Tamiya_F-14__004.JPG

s3a_12.JPG

F15E_017.JPG

he's got a lot more on his website.http://www.naritafamily.com/scalemodelTOP.htm

Pugs

Back from the range
None

Much the same as you I've kept them. Years ago the one hobby shop in Oak Harbor (Ted's maybe?) went out of business and I bought the classics Hasagawa 1/72 stuff for $3 each. I also was a regular customer of AvUsk in Usk Wa so I have my share of post WW-1 vacuforms waiting to do something with.