• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sam Browne Belt

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
My enlisted cover is a Kingform Cap and it has wicker and a leather headband. I like it just fine. I'm going to assume that the officer Kingform is the same.

I'm also going to laugh at every joker at the barracks that has his "jewelry box" set up on display while I have my Zebco tackle box full of uniform shit under my rack.

Thanks, gents.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Marine Shop is generally a rip off. However, I recommend their covers over the exchanges. Their barracks cover is made out of wicker instead of plastic and is more comfortable, and their garrison covers have a leather hand band vice cloth. Other than that, they're not worth it. The sword is a smidge nicer, but not worth the money they want...

I don't even know why I own a barracks cover... haven't worn it yet. And the cloth headband works fine IMO.

F_ck the Marine Shop and anything they sell.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
The bill on the officer Kingform is a little larger than the enlisted one if I remember correctly.

I gotta get a new one anyway because my old one got left in the sun and the visor is all bubbled up. It's good enough to get around on the two days a year that it's part of the UOD, but it's not something I'd try to get by on an inspection. Especially in an entry level training environment.

Let this serve to all future warriors not to leave your corofram goods on the dash for even one day.

Crowbar

None
I gotta get a new one anyway because my old one got left in the sun and the visor is all bubbled up. It's good enough to get around on the two days a year that it's part of the UOD, but it's not something I'd try to get by on an inspection. Especially in an entry level training environment.

Bah. I know it varies company to company, but we had ZERO formal inspections. Hell, our SPC even had two of us (me and another prior enlisted Marine) do the platoon's Alpha inspection because he didn't feel like it.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Bah. I know it varies company to company, but we had ZERO formal inspections. Hell, our SPC even had two of us (me and another prior enlisted Marine) do the platoon's Alpha inspection because he didn't feel like it.

Sounds like Heaven to a guy who had to ip and iron his 782 gear for JOB's and had all night field days in Okinawa. You know, the kind where you get 30 minutes of sleep on the floor because you don't want to spend 15 minutes retightening your rack. That's on top of the normal uniform inspections. I've been out of the fleet for a few years, but I've been told that level of jack-assery has gone the way of the boat-cloak...still around, but not common.

MettGT

pilot
This thread pretty much clinches it, BUT CAN A MARINE OFFICER PLEASE GIVE ME A REASON TO BUY ANYTHING AT THE FRIGGIN' MARINE SHOP?

The price difference, especially with the MCX mail order catalogue, is absolutely disgusting.

I mean, is there a difference in the SB belt, the weight of the wool, or something? MCX sells a 100% wool and a gabardine. I calculated prices with the 100% wool and still came out hundreds ahead. In fact, I can buy just about ALL of my new uniform items at MCX for just a little more than the dress blues cost at the Marine Shop.

Much appreciated gents.

I'm guessing that the Marine Shop is pretty much preying on FNGs.

From my limited experience, everyone that bought their uniforms from MCX for OCC-196 had their stuff jacked up and didn't get their Alphas until the night before graduation - not much time to get stuff fixed. Those that bought from the Marine Shop didn't have to fix many problems, and if they did, they had plenty of time to spare. That's my $0.02

Cordespc

None
Contributor
The Marine Shop is generally a rip off. However, I recommend their covers over the exchanges. Their barracks cover is made out of wicker instead of plastic and is more comfortable, and their garrison covers have a leather hand band vice cloth. Other than that, they're not worth it. The sword is a smidge nicer, but not worth the money they want...

Gotta disagree on the Marine Shop barracks cover. Mine refuses to conform to any shape remotely resembling a human head, and the metal band that supports the skin is lopsided and asymmetrical. If I needed any help looking like a big dumb idiot in uniform, this would do it. It is the shittiest $100 hat I ever hope to own. I would by far prefer one of the cheaper covers that fit like they're supposed to.

I prefer the Kingform piss cutter over the leather lined Marine Shop version. It seems to fit better and look less bulky. The $7 NEX/MCX version is a total piece of shit though. I keep one in my truck just in case.

I still maintain that if I had it to do over again, I would buy a knock-off sword from ebay. I'm really disgusted with myself for spending $600 on something I've used twice (one day of drill at TBS, friend's wedding).

As for the Sam Browne, it's probably just as easy to save your money and borrow one from someone on AW. Thanks again Phrog :D

Attachments

• third.jpg
    third.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 49

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Thanks all for the gouge. Mett, you've convinced to me to go ahead buy everything now instead of waiting until I get there. I can pay for any extra tailoring that needs to be done when the time comes out in town. I'll still be several hundred dollars ahead. It seems that quality won't be an issue because even if the quality is lower, I know exactly how often I'll wear them...almost never.

It'll also be a good Kool-Aid guard when I get there. If I already have the needed equipment on my own terms, then I'll be impervious to the sweet nectar that the Marine Shop is pouring.

MettGT

pilot
You shouldn't have to pay for extra tailoring. Whichever shop you buy it from will do alterations for free while you're at TBS.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I gotta get a new one anyway because my old one got left in the sun and the visor is all bubbled up.

Let this serve to all future warriors not to leave your corofram goods on the dash for even one day.

I'm praying for your soul in hoping that it really was the dash, and not the back deck behind the rear seats. I see Marines with their covers back there all the time, and think,"What, there was NO room left in your whole barracks room for a hat?" or,"Like the 4 'Marines' bumper stickers didn't tip me off that you're in the service."

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I'm praying for your soul in hoping that it really was the dash, and not the back deck behind the rear seats. I see Marines with their covers back there all the time, and think,"What, there was NO room left in your whole barracks room for a hat?" or,"Like the 4 'Marines' bumper stickers didn't tip me off that you're in the service."

That is what I was thinkin ... but thats not Mike's style. At least I hope not ...

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Gents, I don't even have a back dash on either of my vehicles. I refuse to drive anywhere though, without my dress blues hanging in the back seat all the time with ribbons and medals facing outboard (of course).

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Gentlemen, I hate to keep bringing this thread back, but is the Sam Browne belt typically worn with the shoulder strap over or under the shoulder strap of the dress blouse? The order is quite ambiguous.

Thanks in advance.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gentlemen, I hate to keep bringing this thread back, but is the Sam Browne belt typically worn with the shoulder strap over or under the shoulder strap of the dress blouse? The order is quite ambiguous.

Thanks in advance.

I've always worn it under the shoulder epaulet.