• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sam Browne Belt

Bighead

How do you measure the proper size and fit of Sam Browne belt? Is the one from the Marine Shop any better than the one from the MCX? Also what is the proper wear of the belt? I looked in the uniform regs but couldnt find anything? Thanks

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Marine Shop blows and will scam you any chance they get. And yes, the shop you buy it from will measure you properly... even the exchange at TBS.

KBayDog

Bighead said:
Also what is the proper wear of the belt? I looked in the uniform regs but couldnt find anything? Thanks

7014. SAM BROWNE BELT
1. The Sam Browne Belt may be worn by officers when the sword is prescribed, or at such times as are deemed appropriate by the local commander. The Sam Browne Belt may be worn with the blue dress "A"/"B," blue-white dress "A"/"B," and service "A" uniforms. It will not be worn with the AWC.
2. The belt is worn over the service or dress coats around the natural
waist, shoulder strap over the right shoulder, and tightened with the buckle
centered in front. The frog/carrier is attached to the belt at a point over
the highest portion of the hipbone, generally along the seam of the left side
of the coat.

The shop you buy it from will fit you for it, and show you how to wear it. It's no big deal.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I have yet to wear mine.

I agree that the Marine Shop is a rip off.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I noticed almost no difference better the uniforms from either the Marine Shop or the MCX. I will say however that the uniforms I got from the MCX had to be remeasured almost 4 or 5 times where the Marine Shop got it right the first time. The cost for the Marine Shop was easily 15% more but the service from each was about equal as far as I could tell. They both have quality people working for them, just depends on how much you want to spend.

I will say that there was someone in my TBS Company who got a uniform from a MCX in Cal or something in order to save money and it was COMPLETELY jacked up, he had to get another one which costs a lot more.

Oh and about the Sam Brown Belt? - I have worn mine several times and have heard that it was required for the honor guard at the Marine Corps Ball...

Bighead

So if I wanted to measure myself for the Sam Browne belt would I use my waist size or go larger? I want to order mine from the MCX but I need to figure out which size I need. Can someone give me some guidance?

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Go to MCX online. They have measurement guide and they'll take the appropriate measurement off of that.

Reactions: E5B

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I ordered ALL my uniforms from the Camp Pendleton MCX via phone and had no problems or complaints. If you give them a call with waist/shirt sizes they'll know what size to get.

KBayDog

jamnww said:
Oh and about the Sam Brown Belt? - I have worn mine several times and have heard that it was required for the honor guard at the Marine Corps Ball...

It's organizational clothing. You're not required to own one.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
But between the swagger stick and Sam Brown belt you will be quite dapper. Besides chicks love it!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
But between the swagger stick and Sam Brown belt you will be quite dapper. Besides chicks love it!

Right !!! Very dapper . Reminds me ... when I was a Midshipman ... one of the Marine Officers (who was totally psycho, BTW --- he was the clincher who "convinced" me to GO NAVY) wore a CAPE ... that's as in Batman --- a CAPE (uniform cloak, maybe?) --- to an official function --- a dance.

He had obviously practiced the manual of arms with it --- when he whipped it off at the coat check station --- he did it with a swirl and a flourish that would have left Fred Astaire envious .... USMC Officer .... now who could know ??? :)

phrogpilot73

If I had it to do it all over again, I would not buy from the Marine Shop. They trim all the excess material from their uniforms, so when it comes time to let them out (and everyone has to), there's not enough material to do so. You end up having to buy new uniforms. The Exchange however, leaves the extra material. Other than the covers (which I will only buy from the Marine Shop), I haven't really seen any difference.

Reactions: E5B

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
A4sForever said:
one of the Marine Officers (who was totally psycho, BTW --- he was the clincher who "convinced" me that wanted to GO NAVY) wore a CAPE ... that's as in Batman --- a CAPE (uniform cloak, maybe?) --- to an official function --- a dance.

I believe that would be the "boat cloak". The things are damn expensive and can still be purchased through the MCX. I've only ever seen pictures of an O-6 and two General Officers wear one in pictures. It is still authorized I believe...anybody?

In a book I have called "U.S. Marine Uniforms: 1850-1912" they show boat cloaks for both officers and enlisted Marines. The officers having a red wool lining and the E's having a blue lining. They're pretty damn sharp if you ask me.

Semper Fi, Doc

Crowbar

None
A4sForever said:
wore a CAPE ... that's as in Batman --- a CAPE (uniform cloak, maybe?)

You mean to tell me you've never heard of the boat cloak? Second from the right in the picture...

PlateV.jpg