• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Saluting Mids

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ah HA! I knew I wasn't crazy. Of course, this begs the question: did you have that sticker from when you were a scholarship Mid first?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Ah HA! I knew I wasn't crazy. Of course, this begs the question: did you have that sticker from when you were a scholarship Mid first?
Uhh, no. I showed up at NAS JAX in my summer whites (officer candiate summer whites that its) and the enlisted dude there was intent on giving me a blue sticker. I tried to explain to him what I was but he insisted that I accept the blue sticker. I kept the blue sticker for two years. The only thing I got out of it was a salute at the front gate.

gatordev said:
I stand corrected. Thought you guys had blue stickers. Or maybe that was just Rick, who always had a line on something. As for exchange/commissary priveleges, I believe the actual rule is once a month or something like that, since you're reserve/non-active status. Of course, who's going to track that? So you can use it any time you want.

The actual rule now is that you may use the exchange and commission as much as you want, active or reserve. This is for the reason you were pointing out that no one can really track how much you use it, so the DOD just did away with limiting. Just throwing that out there.

S/F
Lt. Dan

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
we got temp paper tags at OCS.

I've always believed you return a salute if you are given one, after that you correct as necessary. If I ever saw a chief light a middy up (or anyone else, O-3 and below) for returning a salute I'd have some words with them - that's complete BS.

A buddy of mine in the marines said he was taught, "If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, pick it up. If you can't pick it up, paint it."

You're never wrong returning a salute.

PropStop said:
A buddy of mine in the marines said he was taught, "If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, pick it up. If you can't pick it up, paint it."

You're never wrong returning a salute.

I learned "If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't, paint it" at Navy Boot Camp.

Key point is if you are not sure, salute. What does it matter? If anything you make a MIDDIE or OC's day. I received several salutes while I was an OC, usually accompanied with a bewildered look, after returning the salute I explained what the "little anchor" represented and that I would soon return to the real Navy (so to speak).

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ok, if in doubt salute
if saluted in doubt return said salute and try to conduct yourself in such a way that you deserve said salute
A wise SNCO who had an influence in my life once told me: "There may come a time when you need to step up and earn all those salutes, all the extra pay and all the "special trust and confidence"
It may come at an instant when you are pinned down and every fiber of your being wants to stay down but you gotta get up and set an example for your Marines to follow and attack and carry the day or it might be a moral kind of decision but it will come so be ready and earn it."
SgtMaj Bxxxxxxxxxxx USMC (ret)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MarineCFR-->SNA said:
The actual rule now is that you may use the exchange and commission as much as you want, active or reserve. This is for the reason you were pointing out that no one can really track how much you use it, so the DOD just did away with limiting. Just throwing that out there.

S/F
Lt. Dan
Yea, that rule changed a couple years ago when I was a reserve center XO.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We have lots of coalition folks here in C5F. So sometimes trying to figure rank and whether or not to salute is not easy.
My rule of thumb is when in doubt, salute, while it may not be required for a coalition warrant for example, it helps build relationships with our allies.

I make a point to call out senior officer from other countries by their rank when I greet them and toss them a friendly salute. They do respond in like and really see we are on the same team as a coalition.

Renegade One

None
Do Midshipmen outrank Officer Candidates (should they somehow encounter one another)?
Nope…both lower than whale smack. ;)

Oh, there's probably a table in the Protocol Manual somewhere that says in which order formations of same should march in Inaugural Parades or some such thing, but I wouldn't confuse that with individual military courtesy obligations.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nope…both lower than whale smack. ;)

Oh, there's probably a table in the Protocol Manual somewhere that says in which order formations of same should march in Inaugural Parades or some such thing, but I wouldn't confuse that with individual military courtesy obligations.

You should tell that to the Army CSM's who think that the CSM of the Army equals a Lt Gen, with all the attendant customs and courtesies, just because that is where they are in the order of precedence. Yeah, not so much......

Renegade One

None
You should tell that to the Army CSM's who think that the CSM of the Army equals a Lt Gen, with all the attendant customs and courtesies, just because that is where they are in the order of precedence. Yeah, not so much......
You'd have to back that up with a reference for me to buy-in,…unless we're still talking about "order of march" for parades...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You'd have to back that up with a reference for me to buy-in,…unless we're still talking about "order of march" for parades...

Here it is, note 5 on page 6. The reason I mentioned it is that some Army NCOs, and at least one Colonel, I knew insisted that since the Sergeant Major of the Army was ahead of Lt Generals in the Army order of precedence he was basically equivalent of one and should be treated as such. This often extended to other CSMs being treated as a rank one less of the officer commanding the unit they were CSM of. No amount of explaining what an order of precedence actually meant could dissuade them of their belief. Reasoning with the Army in general though is often like reasoning with a brick wall.

jmcquate

Contributor
The only enlisted I've heard of being saluted by everyone are wearing a MoH. Don't think it's a reg, more of a courtesy.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Here it is, note 5 on page 6. The reason I mentioned it is that some Army NCOs, and at least one Colonel, I knew insisted that since the Sergeant Major of the Army was ahead of Lt Generals in the Army order of precedence he was basically equivalent of one and should be treated as such. This often extended to other CSMs being treated as a rank one less of the officer commanding the unit they were CSM of. No amount of explaining what an order of precedence actually meant could dissuade them of their belief. Reasoning with the Army in general though is often like reasoning with a brick wall.

Those soldiers you speak of should be smacked. Never heard that at all in the Army. Enlisted are allowed to salute other enlisted during guard mount and general reporting. I am sure there is a similar tradition in other services as well.