• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Saluting Mids

T

TXHusker05

CarbonFibre said:
Before I get into this, I just want to let is be known, kind of like a disclaimer or waiver, that I have no problem with mids, and in fact, I enjoy watching them progress in their careers, I am just playing devils advocate.

"Part of being a naval officer is the respect to be called sir."

-A mid is not a naval officer.

"the 2/C and 1/C guys that are clearly on their way to becoming Naval officers should be respected as such."

-A mid well on their way to becoming a naval officer does not make a mid a naval officer.

"Especially to the 1/C's on their last cruise, they are in effect a junior officer"

-Just because you have the duties of an officer doesn't mean that you are one. Plenty of chiefs are put into roles that give them the responsibility of an officer and they do not rank a salute nor a sir.

I'm just commenting for the sake of arguement. I was researching on google and I found sources both supporting and in opposition to my position. Hopefully someone has some diffinative answers?

In no part of my post did I say they were officers, and I even clarified that they do not warrant a salute or a title. However, someone that is training to be a naval officer is immersed in the environment as a naval officer (ie: a MIDN on his 1/C cruise) and to be completely immersed, respect can be given. I am sure you won't find a reg on it, if you are enlisted, don't salute if you don't want to... mids, if an enlisted sailor salutes you, return the salute and if you have time, correct the sailor. That is really the bottom line.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Well now lets take a look.

The hand salute has a long tradition. It is a form military greeting. It is also a priviledge that can be lost prisonerslose that priviledge (as well as others). In every instance that a hand salute is given, it should be returned, absent local regulations to the contrary.

Midshipment are of rank between the Chief Warrant Officer and an Ensign. I am too lazy to find the source citation, but if challenged, will dig it up. As far as a "CHIEF" chastising someone for saluting when "not rated", I guess anything can happen at some point in time. But never seen it. I would always salute a middy, away from the Yard, that is, because of local regulations.

There are many situations in which enlisted personnel, by virtue of their temporary position of authority, rate a salute. How about the Master Chief standing in for the DH at quarters? Gangway OOD?

When I was piped over the side for the last time, all CPOs on board gave me a salute.

You probably know that SEDEF rates a hand salute, but did you know that DEPSECDEF also rates a salute? How about an Ambassador? Yep, Have about the Ambassadors from all friendly foreign countries? Yep. How about all Govenors of the 50 United States? Yep.

If in doubt render the hand salute. It is a huge part of our long tradition. A tradition we should keep, IMHO.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
gatordev said:
OCs also get blue stickers (as do Mids).
Wow, I got shafted with a red sticker, but I got it for the nearest Army base so I could use the exchange. I guess I could go and make a case for a blue sticker, but I'm not going to (mostly because that takes time, and I don't feel like spending that time).

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
What's the difference between an OC going through ROTC and a Mid?

I know at OCS, OCs got a paper temp pass.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
An OC is active duty drawing full pay and benefits and testing for advancement. Whenever I go to installations, I use my enlisted, active duty credentials.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
etnuclearsailor said:
An OC is active duty drawing full pay and benefits and testing for advancement. Whenever I go to installations, I use my enlisted, active duty credentials.

Hmm, I may be remembering incorrectly, or maybe it was just Region South East, but I thought I saw blue stickers on the OCs' cars when I went through. John/Steve, do you guys remember what you had? I do know as a Mid you're "supposed" to get them, but sometimes the guards at NAS Cecil Field didn't know/play along.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Hmm, I may be remembering incorrectly, or maybe it was just Region South East, but I thought I saw blue stickers on the OCs' cars when I went through. John/Steve, do you guys remember what you had? I do know as a Mid you're "supposed" to get them, but sometimes the guards at NAS Cecil Field didn't know/play along.
Here in SOCAL, the OCs keep their red stickers until commissioning.

Brett

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
gatordev said:
John/Steve, do you guys remember what you had? I do know as a Mid you're "supposed" to get them, but sometimes the guards at NAS Cecil Field didn't know/play along.
Red sticker, enlisted rank, and OC on ID card.

S.O.B.

pilot
gatordev said:

Where do you get that mids rate a salute, sir and a blue sticker? That’s news to me.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
NROTC Midshipmen dont rate blue stickers, or even exchange and commissary priveldges, except when they are on cruise, but most bases let them on through with their ID. Dont know about the boat schoolers.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
USNA mids get exchange and commissary privileges. They get blue stickers when they are seniors because that is the only year they are allowed to drive on the Academy.

S.O.B.

pilot
raptor10 said:
NROTC Midshipmen dont rate blue stickers, or even exchange and commissary priveldges, except when they are on cruise, but most bases let them on through with their ID. Dont know about the boat schoolers.

What about a “Sir” or a salute? That doesn’t make sense to me.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
webmaster said:
Red sticker, enlisted rank, and OC on ID card.

I stand corrected. Thought you guys had blue stickers. Or maybe that was just Rick, who always had a line on something. As for exchange/commissary priveleges, I believe the actual rule is once a month or something like that, since you're reserve/non-active status. Of course, who's going to track that? So you can use it any time you want.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
John/Steve, do you guys remember what you had? I do know as a Mid you're "supposed" to get them, but sometimes the guards at NAS Cecil Field didn't know/play along.
I had a blue sticker as an OC.