• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ROTC Instructor Shore Tour (How-To) (Are you one?)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
A little off subject, but I remember folks (the important ones at least) talking a lot about how jet VT's are now a competitive billet, since they are no longer able to fill them with S-3/EA-6B/others and generally pointy nose guys are needed now. Thoughts? I guess it may be a little early to see how this affects the guys/gals that this applies to, as they are mostly in the first year or two of their tours, but I'll be interested to see how it pans out. Seems like axial flow single hole orange and whites could be a pretty rewarding job, career-implications aside...

I can't speak to the particulars of this situation, but speaking in general, don't confuse what the service needs with what promotion boards will reward. They may desperately need you in that VT slot in FY XX, but come 5 years or 10 years later for the O-4 and O-5 boards, they will still look at the guy who instructed VTs versus the guy who did the MAWTS, FRS, FAC, school, etc, and draw the same comparisons they always have. I think the Navy/MC do a poor job of rewarding important non-fleet billets, but right or wrong, that's how it is. Caveat emptor.