• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ROTC Instructor Shore Tour (How-To) (Are you one?)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
If you're going to be a ROTC instructor... go big or go home and find a party school.

PS- Our current AirBoss from my DDG did a NROTC tour at U of Florida. So I guess there's some hope.

MasterBates

I can't speak for all of the instructors, but some of the bigger ROTC units also get DH Non-Selects (ODU is one of them, I know your pilot E-2 guy, he was in my squadron).

ROTC can also be a good deal for DH Non-Screens that are looking for a fairly painless (and relatively low IA risk) tour to get their masters. I'm anti-MBA strictly because it's just a BS "look at me" degree. If I bother to get a Masters, I'm going to get a "useful" or interesting (to me) one.

dbatt005

P-3 FO
None
All good info. I am not too concerned about not getting DH. I will be approaching the 20 year mark when I am up for it so if I am passed over I will just get out. I am not looking for a slack job but looking at location for family reasons and post Navy preparation at this point. I went to Hampton Roads NROTC so I have an idea how that tour is but I am not sure about the smaller units such as VT or Ohio State, etc.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
All good info. I am not too concerned about not getting DH. I will be approaching the 20 year mark when I am up for it so if I am passed over I will just get out.
Then you are probably a perfect candidate, as even as a MIDN I wondered: "If the Navy was so great why are all my instructors getting out?" and it sounds like you won't necessarily have that attitude...

I am not looking for a slack job but looking at location for family reasons and post Navy preparation at this point. I went to Hampton Roads NROTC so I have an idea how that tour is but I am not sure about the smaller units such as VT or Ohio State, etc.

From what I've heard, it's all dependent on the unit. It may be slack, it may not, but you can get as involved as you want...it was obvious, again, even as an 18-year old who cared and who didn't. Be careful, however, thinking that because it's just a single unit (like VT, Ohio St, Notre Dame, etc) it's not "smaller" than a conglomeration (like Hampton Roads, Atlanta, Tallahassee, Washington DC, etc...). I'd certainly go for location and family reasons...as I've learned only recently, the Navy owns 20 years, your family owns the same 20 and then the rest of the years...

If COMHOUSLANT isn't happy...ain't nobody happy.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I can't speak for all of the instructors, but some of the bigger ROTC units also get DH Non-Selects (ODU is one of them, I know your pilot E-2 guy, he was in my squadron).

ROTC can also be a good deal for DH Non-Screens that are looking for a fairly painless (and relatively low IA risk) tour to get their masters. I'm anti-MBA strictly because it's just a BS "look at me" degree. If I bother to get a Masters, I'm going to get a "useful" or interesting (to me) one.

All of the aviation guys there right now are non-selects. Of all the brown shoes to pass through since I've been there, only one has gone back to flying. He was an 01YG helo guy and still has a fair chance at making DH. ROTC seems to be less severe for the careers of the SWOs and Sub guys.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
So ROTC instructor is a "dead end" for most people? Is that the same case for Marines? It seems that many instructors that I've met in the VTs and API are all talking about jumping ship, trying to stay in the reserves as instructors, going to the CG or the ANG or just getting out.

I had a similar question as Chunks did: "Hey man, you're pretty laid back, you'd like the Marine C-130 community, it's a great one." "But sir, if it's so great, why are you trying to cross commission to the CG or ANG?"

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
If you're going to be a ROTC instructor... go big or go home and find a party school.

PS- Our current AirBoss from my DDG did a NROTC tour at U of Florida. So I guess there's some hope.

That's a SWO billet right? Different ballgame entirely for them with respect to shore tours.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I had a similar question as Chunks did: "Hey man, you're pretty laid back, you'd like the Marine C-130 community, it's a great one." "But sir, if it's so great, why are you trying to cross commission to the CG or ANG?"

A lot of the Marine instructors I talked to were frustrated with the possibility that after the VT tour, they probably never going to get a flying billet again.

BigRed389

None
That's a SWO billet right? Different ballgame entirely for them with respect to shore tours.

Wasn't on a Flt IIA, but pretty sure AirBoss is the DET OIC.

But yeah, SWOs that are doing the ROTC/NPS/GEV thing have already screened and signed on to being a DH.
In fact, they're viewed as retention incentives, since they also come with the DH bonuses.

dbatt005

P-3 FO
None
All good info. I kind of wondered why not put more stock in the ROTC positions. The USNA screens their instructors and the enlisted side screens the guys who push boots. This is the first look that Mids have at the Navy. I would think ROTC would benefit from starting future Naval officer's off on the right foot. Just my two cents. I think I will keep this option in my back pocket. If anyone knows someone currently a Nav Sci instructor, please PM me.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
So ROTC instructor is a "dead end" for most people? Is that the same case for Marines? It seems that many instructors that I've met in the VTs and API are all talking about jumping ship, trying to stay in the reserves as instructors, going to the CG or the ANG or just getting out.

As a general rule, most instructor billets are neutral to negative career-wise in Marine aviation. NROTC would be an extreme example of the negative end of that. MAWTS-1 IP is a big exception to that rule. As is, oddly enough, TBS SPC. Yes, most aviators won't touch that with a 10' pole, but ground guys think TBS instructor is a big deal, and they are big players on boards.

"But, wait, that makes no sense! Shouldn't we encourage our best officers to train and be examples to upcoming officers and pilots?"

Since when did sense have anything to do with military decision making?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot

Like Synix said, I think that's because in the CG or ANG they can keep flying the C-130 instead of a desk.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor

A lot of the Marine instructors I talked to were frustrated with the possibility that after the VT tour, they probably never going to get a flying billet again.

Like Synix said, I think that's because in the CG or ANG they can keep flying the C-130 instead of a desk.
And here I thought it was because they were just looking for the opportunity to have a nice haircut that chicks dig instead of shaving their heads....

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
A little off subject, but I remember folks (the important ones at least) talking a lot about how jet VT's are now a competitive billet, since they are no longer able to fill them with S-3/EA-6B/others and generally pointy nose guys are needed now. Thoughts? I guess it may be a little early to see how this affects the guys/gals that this applies to, as they are mostly in the first year or two of their tours, but I'll be interested to see how it pans out. Seems like axial flow single hole orange and whites could be a pretty rewarding job, career-implications aside...