• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ROTC Instructor Shore Tour (How-To) (Are you one?)

bryanweatherup

B.W.
pilot
Considering Master's Programs on my own dime at non-navy towns, while on orders as an ROTC instructor. (U Penn, USC, UCLA). Anyone shed some light on requirements to acquire one of these jobs? What are they like.. Can you go to the school you're working at full-time? I've heard too many conflicting rumors to make any sense..

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can tell you for a fact that at USNA as an instructor you are given every opportunity to get a MS/MBA from a local college. Even encouraged to do so. Teaching schedules can be set up to accomodate class times, etc.

As long as you can do your day job, the Navy supports you 100% there. TA may also be avaialble through the graduate education programs as well if you meet the criteria.

r/
G

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Considering Master's Programs on my own dime at non-navy towns, while on orders as an ROTC instructor. (U Penn, USC, UCLA). Anyone shed some light on requirements to acquire one of these jobs? What are they like.. Can you go to the school you're working at full-time? I've heard too many conflicting rumors to make any sense..

You start by working with your detailer like for any other job. You are considered faculty at the college or university the unit is at so your academic background is a very important qualification. As I recall CNET has a chop on propsective ROTC Mil Sci Professors. They also try to keep a representation of URL communities. So you have to have the right pin, major/GPA and roll date to even get to CNET for chop. Good Luck

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can supply corps officers be ROTC instructors?
Don't know for sure. I have never seen one. I would bet it is URL only. One of the roles of the ROTC Instructors is to be a mentor and source for career advise. Since you can not go into the staff corps from ROTC I think they would rather have URL guys in the billet.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
dbatt005 and BW said:
I am also looking at this route. Is there anyone on here that has done this as a shore tour?

Buddy of mine did his tour at KU on his ROTC tour and did his MBA concurrently, paid for by KU dollars. Also have a good friend of mine who was a VT COC/NROTC instructor. Did the same from VT, paid for by VT dollars. If you want to do ROTC, you'll be a 1/1 or 1/2 anyway...who says you CAN'T get your degree? I'd seriously doubt that happens. I'm doing my master's on my own dime and TA assisted @ ERAU...been doing so for 2-yrs. Never have I been discouraged from doing so by my COC.

dbatt005

P-3 FO
None
Thanks for the info. I am looking at Hampton Roads NROTC where I would be more like a 1 of 4 or 5 but also at VT. Any idea on the job satisfaction of these NROTC jobs.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the info. I am looking at Hampton Roads NROTC where I would be more like a 1 of 4 or 5 but also at VT. Any idea on the job satisfaction of these NROTC jobs.

1 of 4 @ ROTC isn't the "production" tour that has been catching the DH's attention. Especially as a penguin, you'd be really rolling the dice based on your DH selection rate...I saw a few very good Shooters (P-3 NFOs AND Pilots) who got passed over in the last year, with the only 2 to be selected had production (VT/HT/FRS/Weapons School) shore tours.

But, if you go into the game not givin' a damn about that, I know that the job satisfaction is extremely high from the bubbas I know who did it. Hampton Roads to VT??? That's a helluva drive. I have a buddy of mine who did his MBA at William & Mary and enjoyed that (while at the weapons school for his shore tour).

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Just to add to Chunks comments, most folks who go ROTC get out at the end of their commitment. Not all do, but most.
Trying to push for an ROTC billet will generally signal to Big Navy what your intentions are; most career-minded folks push for the FRS, Flag Loop or Flight School.

If you do take the ROTC job and elect to stay in, if you do not get a Master's that will be seen as a huge negative by pretty much every promotion and screen board you'll be up for in the future.
If you can also knock out JPME (in the event you have a few spare minutes between your job and your Masters), it may make your record look stronger on the DH board than some of the folks who do not have a Masters or Phase 1.

Good luck either way.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

Right now there is one E-2 NFO (LCDR), one E-2 pilot (LCDR), and one ex-tomcat/viper pilot (LCDR). A helo pilot just checked out and the skipper is an O-6 Hornet driver from the east coast. There are also about 4-5 other people from various communities. All of them ('cept the skipper) have desk jobs, teach Naval Science classes, and go to school full time. If you want any contact info, PM me.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I have no personal experience with it, but in my 4.5 years as a student in the program, there wasn't a single aviation LT who stayed in post tour.