• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Roger Ball, good and not-so-good questions about the world of "Paddles"

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Bunk, my Det 5 pilots were LSO's as late as 2005. Did it change as recently as then? But then again Det 5 is very different from the rest of the COD community. Shoot, we were flying to the boat at night till like 04.

Were they waving night? COD guys still wave but not being on the boat hurts them and not flying night gives them credibility when waving guys at night.

SuperFly

pilot
it's all about timing unfortunately and not about skill. When you join your VFA/VMFA/VAQ squadron, if they need an LSO because someone just left, then you'll pick up the job.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Do tailhook squadrons have a maximum number of LSOs per squadron, or is that just a managed thing from squadron to squadron?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds like we need a dedicated LSO topic like "Ask the Doc". Maybe something like "Ask Paddles"...

jmac12

Our airwing has 4 per squadron, I believe. I know that is what our squadron has always had. It is very dependent on your timing and what a squadron needs. If it is something you want to do, just express interest when you show up.
Personally, I wouldn't want to be a one eyed pig F@*ker, even if I could be, but they do get that cool patch that takes up 1/3 of your jacket, and they get to walk around in their float coats all the time. Oh, and have fun not flying every forth day.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do tailhook squadrons have a maximum number of LSOs per squadron, or is that just a managed thing from squadron to squadron?
LSO NATOPS specifies the number of LSOs assigned and in training for each type of tailhook squadron.

Junior

pilot
I love hearing single seat pilot opinions about NFOs.

Brett
I don't think it was so much an opinion, more like him telling someone to shut up. I have no problem with two-anchor types, but don't go bashing LSOs or their job.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
LSO NATOPS specifies the number of LSOs assigned and in training for each type of tailhook squadron.

I understand that, and the V/STOL LSO NATOPS tells me essentially the same thing. It tells me how many of what qualification level I have to have. Not how many I could have on hand.

As the squadron LSO I always tried to get more, provided that they were ready, motivated for it, and I had the time and resources to train them.

Not only did it ease the burden on the squadron (and me personally), but it made them better pilots at the boat.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Here's a CV LSO question for you guys... On the small boys, only 2 or 3 LSO (yes, I know it's a different job, but it's governed by the same instruction) can get paid, but everyone on the det will be qualified. Do the squadrons have more qualed LSOs than guys actually filling a "billet" (bad choice of words, but I think you get my point)?

Junior

pilot
LSOs are as elligible for criticism as anyone else...Junior.

Brett
I agree. I took issue, as Single Seat did, with kc criticizing and somewhat minimizing an LSOs job. I don't want this thread to slip into the inevitable NFO vs Pilot mudslinging contest because I am interested in the original question (and I'm still in the RAG so I really don't know shit). I'll leave it at that.

MasterBates

Gator, I think on a 2-bird det we got 3 LSOs and 3 LSO/UIs paid..
Single bird det, 2 LSO/2 UIs, normally the OIC did not get the flight deck pay, but there were some OICs that made it rotate amongst the det.

(I was lucky to have a cool OIC that was of the "I'm on the bonus, you guys could use the coin more than me" mentality, but still did his time in the shack)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree. I took issue, as Single Seat did, with kc criticizing and somewhat minimizing an LSOs job. I don't want this thread to slip into the inevitable NFO vs Pilot mudslinging contest because I am interested in the original question (and I'm still in the RAG so I really don't know shit). I'll leave it at that.

KC wasn't minimizing the job of the LSO. He was merely engaging in good natured ribbing - a trait to be emulated, for sure. And I'll leave it at that. ;)

Brett