• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Roger Ball, good and not-so-good questions about the world of "Paddles"

MasterBates

If Goober and VetteMuscle are successful in their attempt to drag me into E-2s, hopefully the timing works for LSO.

CAG Paddles sounds like non-shitty disasociated tour.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Looks like LSO's get to have a lot of fun out there.
I don't know if "fun" is the right word ... but the platform is the greatest place in the world to be, the only place that might be better would be in an airplane pushing clouds around the sky .... :)

It's also the best job a JO can have in the Navy ... I've never heard anyone say ... "gee, that was just great when I was the asst. personnel officer ...."

Landing Signal Officer: I highly recommend it, if you have the opportunity and the "means" ...;)

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
It seems like not everyone can be one and you have to be pretty good. I'm kind of interested in it. What exactly is the disassociated sea tour and what are other options during it?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The disassociated sea tour: API-Primary-Advanced-FRS-Fleet-Shore Tour-Disassociated tour-DH-2nd shore-Command.

After the first shore tour, the aviator will go to a ship, staff, IA billet instead of another flying tour. Some folks continue to fly (weapons tactics instructor types), other guys (like myself) go the ship and do ship's company jobs. It's the original IA for an aviator.

Nose

pilot
Being a CAG LSO is like a hybrid between being a staff knob and a squadron guy. It isn't considered "Disassociated" because you are still around your community. You hang out in ready rooms, watch roll'ems, eat, etc. with squadron bubbas, but you answer to CAG and the Captain of the ship (Not always in that order!)

I flew regularly with two squadrons while at sea (VAW, VFA) and with the other two VFA's while on the beach. I also got stick time in S-3, rode in Prowler and Tomcat, and, probably most fun, got to fly an H-60. (I call it flying, anyone who knows how to fly a helo might not call what I was doing "flying"!)

As a LT CAG LSO, I had more responsibility than any JO or O-4, and most non-command O-5's and more visibility than almost anyone on the ship. Ship's Captain told us that he wanted one of us to visit him at least once a day on the bridge. Free pass, no khaki's no cover to enter and head of the line pass. More than once he shooed the O-6 Reactor officer so I could say hi. At the end of workups, the other CAG LSO and I were invited to breakfast with the BG commander (who is currently CNO and about to become CJCS) and he thanked us for our safety record.

But the best part of the job? The early power call that prevents the later waveoff. The pitching deck recovery where the IFLOLS can't keep up and you talk them all down. The LCDR who two days before was complaining about his "Fair" that should have been an "OK" who looks you in the eye and says "Thanks Paddles" after you save his bacon. And he means it.

It's the best job in the Navy, you don't have to be exceptional to get it (Hey, I did, how hard can it be?) and the rewards are beyond measure.

Nose

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
...probably most fun, got to fly an H-60. (I call it flying, anyone who knows how to fly a helo might not call what I was doing "flying"!)....

It's funny that you say this, considering how "awful" helos are to some SNAs and wannabes. But time and again when we took a stiff winger flying from BG, CVN CO, CAG down to JO's they always have blast, and say it is one of the coolest things they have done. And that's out over water, which doesn't hold a candle to the flying out at Fallon.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
We used to tell the fixed-wingers:

"When was the last time you saw an (S-3, F-14, insert your favorite fixed-wing community target here) stop, back-up, and take another look at the naked woman laying on the beach?"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....(LSO) ... you don't have to be exceptional to get it ...
Sorry.

Perhaps you're trying to be self-deprecating, and I "get" that ..... but if not; that's just wrong ... you DO have to be "exceptional" to "get it" --- and do it right as an LSO.

We dropped the LSO trainees who weren't "exceptional". No exceptions....

You had to be "exceptional" in the air AND at the BOAT to become an LSO ... and to have the respect of your peers .... which is what it's all about.

If you can't "DO IT" better than the rest ... you can't judge the rest. And possibly ... take their Wings if their "unexceptional" performance dictates it ...

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Had a great CAG LSO (with the unlikely callsign, "Hot Dog") not saved my bacon one blacka** night of so many years ago, I likely would not be here today, and my children would not exist....... thanks again, HDB!

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Only carrier pilots qualify I assume. Aside from being the best thing since sliced bread, how else can you get to be LSO? Can you throw your name in the hat, or is it more of a we pick you kind of thing?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Only carrier pilots qualify I assume. Aside from being the best thing since sliced bread, how else can you get to be LSO? Can you throw your name in the hat, or is it more of a we pick you kind of thing?

Only fixed wing carrier pilots