• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Roger Ball, good and not-so-good questions about the world of "Paddles"

phrogpilot73

At the end of workups, the other CAG LSO and I were invited to breakfast with the BG commander (who is currently CNO and about to become CJCS) and he thanked us for our safety record.
This wouldn't be the GW Battle Group, would it? If so - I'm pretty sure you floated with my brother-in-law, he was the strike planner on the BG Staff.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
You are probably also the owner of the soundtrack for Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
We used to tell the fixed-wingers:

"When was the last time you saw an (S-3, F-14, insert your favorite fixed-wing community target here) stop, back-up, and take another look at the naked woman laying on the beach?"

Sure, that's great, but when was the last time that naked woman got up and jumped around and waved at the mighty helo? :icon_smil

phrogpilot73

Sure, that's great, but when was the last time that naked woman got up and jumped around and waved at the mighty helo? :icon_smil
When I was hovering 50 feet off the beach, and my crewchief was leaning out the crew door taking a picture. :D

I suspect she saw us do a quick stop, pedal turn, and slide to the right (all nearly simultaneous) to come into a hover directly in front of her. I'd say we boosted her ego that day!

That is - if it had actually happened, but I would NEVER break any of the rules that would allow me to do such a thing... ;)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Only carrier pilots qualify I assume. Aside from being the best thing since sliced bread, how else can you get to be LSO? Can you throw your name in the hat, or is it more of a we pick you kind of thing?

I have no experience other than summer cruise(s), so maybe someone can add some real experience to this.....but what I noticed....

In the Rhino sqdn I was assigned to for my 1/c cruise a summer ago, out of a handful of 1st tour JO's, there were (if memory serves correctly) 3 LSO's under instruction. They were picked sometime during that tour, had waved (or assisted at least) during their cruise, and would be going to the LSO school in VA Beach sometime after they got home. To try and answer your question, these three seemed like the most squared away and outgoing of the whole bunch from a bystander's perspective. It was probably not a coincidence that one of them was my sponsor. His comment was that it normally went to the guys who were the most solid around the "boat", who had demonstrated good headwork, and that it was a great way to meet everyone in the airwing. Not sure if there is a connection there, but A4's comment would lead me to believe so. Perhaps someone wants to shed some more knowledgeable light on this

phrogpilot73

Honestly, I can't think of any rules you would have been breaking, if such an event had happened.
Most of them were OPNAV vice NATOPS...

500 feet over any person, vessel or structure... yeah - nope on that one... I'm sure there are other ones. I just know that I'd have been in deep kimshee when I got back.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Most of them were OPNAV vice NATOPS...

500 feet over any person, vessel or structure... yeah - nope on that one... I'm sure there are other ones. I just know that I'd have been in deep kimshee when I got back.

Well you weren't directly over her, right? I mean if it had actually happened.

phrogpilot73

Well you weren't directly over her, right? I mean if it had actually happened.
Well, had it actually happened - no I wasn't directly over her, but I interepreted OPNAV to be that it's essentially a 500 ft "bubble" around said objects, hence the reason we usually fly further offshore than usual. I was close enough to be dusting her boyfriend with our rotor wash. Again, that is if it actually happened...

And if it had happened, exactly how hot would she have been?
Never saw the face, the 36DD (estimated) in a silver string bikini, running out of the ocean is what we saw... That is if it (you get the point)...

jeff_264

Hi, Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 15 and I am really wanting to join the Navy or Marines as a Naval Aviatior. I've been reading on Airwarriors for awhile now ,and just decided to join. My question is, How do you get in to being a LSO is that something you do during your ground to or some thing different?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Hi, Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 15 and I am really wanting to join the Navy or Marines as a Naval Aviatior. I've been reading on Airwarriors for awhile now ,and just decided to join. My question is, How do you get in to being a LSO is that something you do during your ground to or some thing different?

I want some of you other newbies to look at this question and see this is how to do it. Neat, simple and not the regular what % get jets or do you think think the Growler will be training pilots if and when I make it in 10 years.

As for the question, there are better folks than I to answer as I am a) a COD pilot and b) I only earned my squadron qual. I'll give my quick story then the true paddles can come in and give theirs.

When we new nuggets left the FRS, a few of us were recommended to be become paddles by the head LSO at VAW-120. I was one of them but I know of others who raised their hands to become one. At the time, VRC-30 COD pilots were flying to the boat at night, earning night traps. First thing I did was get my field qualification. Simple process of learning LSO waving skills at the field. I then started to wave with a team on the boat during work-ups and during my first deployment. I waved day and night for the entire 6 month cruise. I got back, went to LSO school and was designated a squadron qualified paddles. By the time I deployed on my second deployment, VRC-30 had stopped flying nights so I waved for half a cruise, day only........then we moved to flying out of Bahrain, no longer on the ship so my waving days were over. If you don't fly to the boat at night, shouldn't wave at night...at least IMO. Generally, once an aviator has waved for two deployements, CAG paddles will grant him/her a wing qualified LSO. From there, he/she can go on and wave at their respective FRS or VT squadron and earn their training qual.

If I'm off here, the real LSO's will correct my mistakes.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
If/when you show up to your fleet squadron, if the timing is right they'll just make you an LSO, gotta be a boat squadron though. It's not something you can shoot for though, it's just a matter of when you get to your fleet squadron, when the current LSO's are leaving, if a new LSO is needed, etc.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Bunk, my Det 5 pilots were LSO's as late as 2005. Did it change as recently as then? But then again Det 5 is very different from the rest of the COD community. Shoot, we were flying to the boat at night till like 04.