• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Road to 350: What Does the US Navy Do Anyway?

Average Monke

A primate with internet access
Who is taking these courses? Are they mandatory, or just for GESS majors? Have you met the prereqs? What's it like to date a gender studies major?

I work at Big State U, and I know there are courses and majors out there. I also have a sense of their popularity. They tend to self-select to the noisy few.
Yes, they generally self-select, but it's common for those ideas to spill out in to other studies not excluding the sciences. No, these courses are not mandatory, but these people also become educators themselves. I'm more so worried about those who become elementary/middle school teachers where students don't have the ability to choose their curriculum. I see similar stuff being taught at former (elementary/high) schools alone. Let's look at ESG for example and see how these once radical social theories are now influencing corporations. Dating a gender studies major is a trip. Let's just say she was very sex positive, but I actively avoided many topics of conversation.

Edit: my bigger point is civics is undervalued and how people participate in the system is not keeping up with technology. Attention is the new currency and most political issues are not interesting or easy to understand.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
They tend to self-select to the noisy few.
Exactly. You might remember a few years ago a professor wrote a fake, garbled, paper for a “…studies” journal and it wasn’t only accepted, it was praised. It has happened a few times.

More recently a professor satirically published a paper that claimed there was an epidemic of dog rape at dog parks and that men should be leashed like dogs. https://www.oregonlive.com/educatio...chool-of-becoming-social-justice-factory.html

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
More recently a professor satirically published a paper that claimed there was an epidemic of dog rape at dog parks and that men should be leashed....
As an elementary-aged youth, an English Bulldog got ahold of my leg, wouldn't take no for an answer, and proceeded to leg rape me.

Dog rape is real @Griz882 ...

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
I went to a party while on leave back in the day. My buddy's mutt got into the coat room and had his way with the then fashionable rabbit fur jackets that girls preferred at the time, Results were one tired but happy dog and a bunch of pissed off girl friends.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, if they spent their lives being net contributors, then they still get to vote after retired.

Stay at home parents usually file jointly with their spouse and don't receive any money from the govt in welfare or similar programs.

So this may all sound good in theory, to some at least, but I can tell you that it'll never happen in this country. Thankfully.

Mirage

pilot
So this may all sound good in theory, to some at least, but I can tell you that it'll never happen in this country. Thankfully.
I get why the leeches want to vote, and I get why their enablers in politics want them to vote.. but why do folks like you who are paying their bills while they roam the streets getting into trouble instead of working think they deserve to vote, despite them not contributing to society? Genuinely curious the logic there, as I'm sure you see the downside, but I don't see the upside.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I get why the leeches want to vote, and I get why their enablers in politics want them to vote.. but why do folks like you who are paying their bills while they roam the streets getting into trouble instead of working think they deserve to vote, despite them not contributing to society? Genuinely curious the logic there, as I'm sure you see the downside, but I don't see the upside.

Voting is supposed to be a citizen's right. I see a huge downside in government deciding who is worthy to vote for the government. Put a minimum tax burden on voting, and they'll find ways and technicalities to limit and meddle with who meets that tax burden. Etc.

The real problem isn't who votes, anyway.

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I'm not a cold-hearted asshole?

Seriously, I have personally known many folks, from family to friends, who have found themselves in circumstances out of their control and ended up on some sort of government assistance from medical insurance to unemployment. In many of the cases those circumstances found them merely because of luck or timing. Everything from cancer that occurs with no risk factors to accidents caused by others, bad shit happens in life. It happens far more that some folks who argue about 'leeches' seem to realize. And for almost scenario in which folks point to an instance in which government assistance should not be provided, from food assistance to medical care, I can point to numerous exceptions where it should be.

There are certainly people who take advantage of the system but that happens at all levels, from well-off Governor-farmers who get a substantial amount in farm subsidies every year to the person who gets paid good money under the table while still getting food stamps. But that is why we have a representative government that takes those concerns into account and constantly updates the programs that provide government assistance.

As for the upside? They are citizens of this country and by birthright have a say in what happens. To try and narrow down who gets to vote has very weighty historical implications in this country and would likely result in system that is very discriminatory to racial minorities and women. And even if that doesn't happen you end up with a system that only answers to those privileged enough to be able to vote, which pretty much always ends up being pretty bad for those who can't vote.

While I am often reminded of the Waco Kid's quote, "These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons" when it comes to the 'common man' I am also reminded of Churchill's quote, "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…"

Average Monke

Exactly. You might remember a few years ago a professor wrote a fake, garbled, paper for a “…studies” journal and it wasn’t only accepted, it was praised. It has happened a few times.

More recently a professor satirically published a paper that claimed there was an epidemic of dog rape at dog parks and that men should be leashed like dogs. https://www.oregonlive.com/educatio...chool-of-becoming-social-justice-factory.html
These ideas really aren't as fringe as you think. I present to thee what I am now calling "an epidemic of ideological idiocy"...
  • Professors calling the Hamas terrorist attacks on Israel "exhilarating" and "energizing." (here)
  • Hard work is evidence of white supremacy (sadly, this isn't an exaggeration)
  • Individualism, a sense of urgency, and the use of the written word are evidence of white supremacy in organizations (again, not an exaggeration)
  • Capitalism is not a political-economic system but another proof of white supremacy (see here)
  • Hundreds of students at Stanford Law School shouted down a sitting federal judge because they disagreed with him (here)
  • Standardized tests aren't any more an objective measurement but a tool to harm minorities (here)
  • Professors faking data to prove that "whites want longer sentences for blacks" (here)

taxi1

pilot
Hard work is evidence of white supremacy (sadly, this isn't an exaggeration)
I went past the link to aei.org (who are they?) to the Smithsonian link, and didn't see any of the things they complained about. But I didn't dig, I just did word searches on their complained-about terms.

I recommend never link to the middle person. They lie and twist to fit a narrative. Click through and link to the source.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
I went past the link to aei.org (who are they?) to the Smithsonian link, and didn't see any of the things they complained about. But I didn't dig, I just did word searches on their complained-about terms.

I recommend never link to the middle person. They lie and twist to fit a narrative. Click through and link to the source.
Dude, all of his links are routed through an organization funded by the Koch brothers… Clearly he is gathering these articles on his own, and not being fed cherry picked articles by a highly biased and financially motivated institution. Really thinking for himself.

Average Monke

If that's you're only critique I can live with that. It took me roughly five minutes to compile that list. I just presenting some very basic examples so some may fit the bill better than others. I get your criticism of primary vs secondary/tertiary sources, but you are kind of missing the forest for the trees.