• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Road to 350: What Does the US Navy Do Anyway?

Average Monke

A primate with internet access
every one of your links?
All seven of them? Jeez what a workload. What's your actual point? Do you disagree with the premise? I have zero attachment to the links and am happy to let them burn with all of the other BS on the internet.

Mirage

pilot
Voting is supposed to be a citizen's right. I see a huge downside in government deciding who is worthy to vote for the government. Put a minimum tax burden on voting, and they'll find ways and technicalities to limit and meddle with who meets that tax burden. Etc.

The real problem isn't who votes, anyway.
"Supposed to be"? According to what.. god?

The govt already decides who is worthy to vote. Felons, mentally ill, under age 18, non-citizens, citizens from territories... This is just one more limitation that prevents those who don't deserve or shouldn't have a vote from getting one.
Seriously, I have personally known many folks, from family to friends, who have found themselves in circumstances out of their control and ended up on some sort of government assistance from medical insurance to unemployment. In many of the cases those circumstances found them merely because of luck or timing. Everything from cancer that occurs with no risk factors to accidents caused by others, bad shit happens in life. It happens far more that some folks who argue about 'leeches' seem to realize. And for almost scenario in which folks point to an instance in which government assistance should not be provided, from food assistance to medical care, I can point to numerous exceptions where it should be.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but the idea is that you had to have contributed more to society than you took at least one year in a 4 year election cycle. That wouldn't exclude almost any of the situations you described. But if it did, and it was just a good person doing their best but couldn't contribute because they fell on hard times.. that's fine. I'm not saying we throw them in jail. I'm saying they don't get their individually pretty insignificant vote that cycle. That's a small price to pay for the fact that removing the vote from serial leeches would prevent the vote buying currently in play.

That said, if these people were voting for the party that I wanted to win, as they do for you, perhaps I'd find a way to justify it the way you are.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
"Supposed to be"? According to what.. god?

The govt already decides who is worthy to vote. Felons, mentally ill, under age 18, non-citizens, citizens from territories... This is just one more limitation that prevents those who don't deserve or shouldn't have a vote from getting one.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but the idea is that you had to have contributed more to society than you took at least one year in a 4 year election cycle. That wouldn't exclude almost any of the situations you described. But if it did, and it was just a good person doing their best but couldn't contribute because they fell on hard times.. that's fine. I'm not saying we throw them in jail. I'm saying they don't get their individually pretty insignificant vote that cycle. That's a small price to pay for the fact that removing the vote from serial leeches would prevent the vote buying currently in play.

That said, if these people were voting for the party that I wanted to win, as they do for you, perhaps I'd find a way to justify it the way you are.
Maybe, some of the red states that take more from the federal govt than they put in should lose a Senator and some representatives. That seems like it'd only be fair according to your model. Mississippi and West Virginia are leaches, and don't deserve the same representation as net contributors....like California and New Jersey. ?

SteveHolt!!!

pilot
This thread was started to discuss the state of the Fleet and the ability of the Navy and Congress to expand it. It would be appreciated if we could get back to that on this thread.

We can always re-open Thunderdome.
Fleets and the shipyard support structure are incredibly expensive. We can either pay from it with debt, take the money from social programs, or increase revenue. 1) is not a great plan. 2) is not going to happen, because the ones with enough money to loot (social security and medicare) are overwhelmingly popular and have incredible positive effects on society.

I support reforms to accomplish 3), but those aren't incredibly likely. Weird how anytime someone says we need to balance the budget, the ONLY POSSIBLE ANSWER (tm) is cutting social programs.

If we're not willing to do some variation of 1-3 (massively oversimplyifing), then we need to reassess our strategic goals to accomplish the constraints our governmental system creates.

Some stuff...

Describes human beings as "serial leeches"
As a general rule, I don't take seriously anyone who doesn't have the basic decency to speak of human beings as human beings.

Mirage

pilot
Several Constitutional amendments (15, 19, 24), and the Voting Rights act of 1965.

It’s widely agreed upon that voting is a civil right in this country. Why is that upsetting to you?
Voting is a civil right for the groups of people our laws grant that right to. I've pointed out that many groups are excluded from this right, though they live here. We do not have universal suffrage, as you implied.

As a general rule, I don't take seriously anyone who doesn't have the basic decency to speak of human beings as human beings.
You can virtue signal if it makes you feel better, but "leeches" clearly refers to their societal function. I am not equating these people to bugs. I am saying that if they don't contribute to society, but "leech" (a verb) off of it instead, then they should lose their right to vote.

This thread was started to discuss the state of the Fleet and the ability of the Navy and Congress to expand it. It would be appreciated if we could get back to that on this thread.

We can always re-open Thunderdome.
Apologies, you're right.

number9

Contributor
You can virtue signal if it makes you feel better, but "leeches" clearly refers to their societal function. I am not equating these people to bugs. I am saying that if they don't contribute to society, but "leech" (a verb) off of it instead, then they should lose their right to vote.
What is your threshold? How will you define a "leech"? Is it if they earn less than $10K a year? $50K? $250K?

What if they're a full-time student?

What if they're a stay-at-home parent?

If I make twice the median salary, do I get to vote twice?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
These ideas really aren't as fringe as you think. I present to thee what I am now calling "an epidemic of ideological idiocy"...
  • Professors calling the Hamas terrorist attacks on Israel "exhilarating" and "energizing." (here)
  • Hard work is evidence of white supremacy (sadly, this isn't an exaggeration)
  • Individualism, a sense of urgency, and the use of the written word are evidence of white supremacy in organizations (again, not an exaggeration)
  • Capitalism is not a political-economic system but another proof of white supremacy (see here)
  • Hundreds of students at Stanford Law School shouted down a sitting federal judge because they disagreed with him (here)
  • Standardized tests aren't any more an objective measurement but a tool to harm minorities (here)
  • Professors faking data to prove that "whites want longer sentences for blacks" (here)
They were beyond fringe….they were make believe designed to troll the academic weakness of such studies.