• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Road to 350: What Does the US Navy Do Anyway?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’ve seen similar versions of this graphic on the consolidation of mil contractors in general. Interesting trend.

BigRed389

None
Saw this interesting twitter post this morning:

The author is a worthwhile follow.
Also doesn’t include the closure a whole bunch of public shipyards, like Brooklyn and Long Beach Navy Yards.

The issue isn’t necessarily the consolidation of ownership itself as the simple lack of industrial capacity both at the yards we have and the number of them nationally

I’ve seen similar versions of this graphic on the consolidation of mil contractors in general. Interesting trend.
That’s usually used to highlight the impacts of “the Last Supper” - that lines in this graphic as well.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Also doesn’t include the closure a whole bunch of public shipyards, like Brooklyn and Long Beach Navy Yards.

The issue isn’t necessarily the consolidation of ownership itself as the simple lack of industrial capacity both at the yards we have and the number of them nationally

That’s usually used to highlight the impacts of “the Last Supper” - that lines in this graphic as well.
Can you explain? Not sure I'm familiar with "the Last Supper" in this context.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

BigRed389

None
@Randy Daytona thanks - looking forward to that read. That graphic is pretty stunning.

Yeah…I feel rather conflicted about where we are with it all today.

On one hand, there can be advantages to large consolidated companies. On the other hand, the major defense primes are hardly the equivalent of either the massive Japanese/Korean industrial conglomerates or closer to home, our massive tech companies in terms of capability.

Another issue is that theoretically, they should be leveraging their commercial industrial side too (and vice versa) to really make kick ass stuff on both sides. In reality, it’s questionable how well that has been working, and there are definitely negative impacts to them being publicly traded companies. In theory, they should be investing in themselves to develop new technologies and capabilities to compete against each other. Instead, because competition is so limited, and they all do the same thing, they just do stock buybacks with profits to crank up shareholder returns.

The really, truly major thing I think we lost? By farming all this out to massive defense companies we also stripped down govt. capabilities. The govt simply lacks enough in house expertise to provide adequate technical direction and oversight of what we ask industry to do IMO, which is also what we need in order to actually force them to compete against each other.

Notanaviator

Contributor
they all do the same thing, they just do stock buybacks with profits to crank up shareholder returns.
This is a fun and valid rabbit hole to go down. I’ll not bore folks here but for those who are intrigued by finance nerdery, google the stock buyback phenomenon. IIRC even folks like Buffett are advocates for the practice, but in a lot of situations when you have executive compensation tied to stock performance, tricky stuff.

On the one hand, especially for dividend paying stocks, retiring shares improves some metrics like earnings per share and actively reduces the cash obligations for dividends to be paid. On the other, one could argue that share repurchases are for companies that don’t have a vision for how to reinvest in their own future, that it’s an easy way out for short term gratification. Anyhow, interesting stuff.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

hscs

pilot
This would be a good start:

Pretty long term investment. Once the bill comes, the support will drop.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Nobody wants to pay for all the non-sexy shit we need to sustain ourselves. Our installations are crumbling after 20+ years of stiff arming the inevitable, and now we’re all shocked that our Sailors are living in mold infested barracks. Getting well is going to hurt.
Also let's shut down the govt again and furlough all the civilians from depot level maintenance, and fuck up aircraft readiness more than it is now. It's so shortsighted and self-defeating.