• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Road to 350: What Does the US Navy Do Anyway?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also let's shut down the govt again and furlough all the civilians from depot level maintenance, and fuck up aircraft readiness more than it is now. It's so shortsighted and self-defeating.
There’s this absolutely bizarre sentiment heard from people like Ramaswamy, that our civil service folks should all just be jettissoned, which would obviously be an absolute disaster.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Also let's shut down the govt again and furlough all the civilians from depot level maintenance, and fuck up aircraft readiness more than it is now. It's so shortsighted and self-defeating.
To play devils advocate, I think an actual, honest-to-God shutdown of the government where everything stops for months (Not the annual goat rope where we live under Continuing Resolutions and pass vaporware budgets at the 11th hour) might actually be the wake-up call we (the DoD and US gov't) need to get our act together. When Congressmen's gov't and KTR constituents feel the pain, maybe they will vote for better representatives. And maybe, just maybe, it will force the DoD to get serious about how we allocate our money.

There’s this absolutely bizarre sentiment heard from people like Ramaswamy, that our civil service folks should all just be jettissoned, which would obviously be an absolute disaster.
I don't know anyone takes that guy seriously. He has zero good ideas.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
To play devils advocate, I think an actual, honest-to-God shutdown of the government where everything stops for months (Not the annual goat rope where we live under Continuing Resolutions and pass vaporware budgets at the 11th hour) might actually be the wake-up call we (the DoD and US gov't) need to get our act together. When Congressmen's gov't and KTR constituents feel the pain, maybe they will vote for better representatives. And maybe, just maybe, it will force the DoD to get serious about how we allocate our money.

I don't know anyone takes that guy seriously. He has zero good ideas.

While I liked this, I don't actually like it. I agree with it, but I don't like it.

And Ramajamadingdong is an absolute moron who is trying to get a ton of stupid people to vote for him. We might as well call him "Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho".

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
While I liked this, I don't actually like it. I agree with it, but I don't like it.

And Ramajamadingdong is an absolute moron who is trying to get a ton of stupid people to vote for him. We might as well call him "Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho".
I don’t agree with the first part. An honest-to-God shutdown would be awful. Everything would come off the rails in a way we have never seen. It would accelerate our country’s decline, and nobody in high office would “learn” anything- they’d just spend the next 20 years blaming each other while the country burns.

I do agree on Vivek though. He’s a terrible choice in a terrible field.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

I never said it would be fun or pleasant, just that it might actually provide enough impetus for things to finally get fixed.

I don’t agree with the first part. An honest-to-God shutdown would be awful. Everything would come off the rails in a way we have never seen. It would accelerate our country’s decline, and nobody in high office would “learn” anything- they’d just spend the next 20 years blaming each other while the country burns.

I do agree on Vivek though. He’s a terrible choice in a terrible field.
I don't think a full shutdown would result in the same people remaining in power. In fact, I'm not sure our representative democracy with nearly universal suffrage survives a full shutdown of the government. It's said that revolution is only three missed meals away, and the amount of people who would go hungry because they aren't getting their checks on time would be astronomical.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I never said it would be fun or pleasant, just that it might actually provide enough impetus for things to finally get fixed.

I don't think a full shutdown would result in the same people remaining in power. In fact, I'm not sure our representative democracy with nearly universal suffrage survives a full shutdown of the government. It's said that revolution is only three missed meals away, and the amount of people who would go hungry because they aren't getting their checks on time would be astronomical.

I don’t happen to believe destroying the system is the way to fix it.

All this government dysfunction is serving… someone. I’m not sure who. It isn’t the people- which shouldn’t be surprising. The franchise of voting has been limited, privatized, and gerrymandered to a point where most of us have very little say. The people don’t hold the keys to power, and haven’t for a long time. Having said that, in spite of everything, we still live pretty damn well in this country- I’d like to keep as much of that as we can.

Having actual checks and balances in a smaller, more functional federal government would be a nice bonus.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
It would be the closest thing to an EMP strike.

Launches and recoveries at OHare on Unicom.
There are plenty of people who either don’t know ATC exists or would be surprised to learn it is a government function.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I don’t happen to believe destroying the system is the way to fix it.

All this government dysfunction is serving… someone. I’m not sure who. It isn’t the people- which shouldn’t be surprising. The franchise of voting has been limited, privatized, and gerrymandered to a point where most of us have very little say. The people don’t hold the keys to power, and haven’t for a long time. Having said that, in spite of everything, we still live pretty damn well in this country- I’d like to keep as much of that as we can.

Having actual checks and balances in a smaller, more functional federal government would be a nice bonus.
I don't see how you fix the system in its current form. It's not gerrymandering or limiting that's caused the problems, it's the fact that the political class don't need to care about us. Just look at places like California. They keep electing the same people to power despite the fact that they those people are making their lives worse. People in the Bay Area complain that their Democrat politicians in Sacramento and SF and Washington have all enacted unpopular policies and yet, those same Californians keep voting for those same Democrat politicians. You can't fix that, that's a fundamental problem with the electorate, not the corrupt political class.

And government is never going to shrink itself. Neither Democrats or the Republicans are willing to shrink the size or the budget of the government, they just change which of their friends and donors get paid through kickbacks and handouts. I just don't see how we "vote harder" or convince the politicians to change their ways without starting from scratch and there are only a few ways to do that. None of those ways are fun or pleasant.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I don't see how you fix the system in its current form. It's not gerrymandering or limiting that's caused the problems, it's the fact that the political class don't need to care about us. Just look at places like California. They keep electing the same people to power despite the fact that they those people are making their lives worse. People in the Bay Area complain that their Democrat politicians in Sacramento and SF and Washington have all enacted unpopular policies and yet, those same Californians keep voting for those same Democrat politicians. You can't fix that, that's a fundamental problem with the electorate, not the corrupt political class.

And government is never going to shrink itself. Neither Democrats or the Republicans are willing to shrink the size or the budget of the government, they just change which of their friends and donors get paid through kickbacks and handouts. I just don't see how we "vote harder" or convince the politicians to change their ways without starting from scratch and there are only a few ways to do that. None of those ways are fun or pleasant.
Well..a strong and popular POTUS could probably cajole Congress into term limits and that would solve a large number of our issues. Sadly, an economic collapse would help clean house. If they ever decide to touch election laws then the first thing they should do is remove all party affiliations from ballots including the ability to do a simple “party line” vote. You look at the ballot and all you see if Joe Schome and Bill Billy and you have to figure it out. I think we’d all be astounded at how quickly Congress would change then (including a lot of accidental votes).