• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Road to 350: What Does the US Navy Do Anyway?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Geometry remains a problem. As ASCM's have gained in capability and proliferation they've also gained in range to a point where aircraft or ships can launch them from relative safety from a target much like they did in Red Storm Rising, where the Backfires only suffered at the hands of defending carrier aircraft (Aéronavale F-8's) and not the ships of the battle group.

Simply put, a carrier battle/strike group cannot effectively operate in a contested environment without AEW.
You lost me at “geometry.”

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Happened to see this in USNI:

FY 23 Budget: Navy Wants to Shed 24 Ships for $3.6B in Savings Over Next Five Years​

As part of its Fiscal Year 2023 budget request, the Navy plans to decommission nine Freedom-class Littoral Combat Ships, five Ticonderoga-class cruisers, two Los Angeles-class submarines, four Landing Dock Ships, two oilers and two Expeditionary Transfer Docks.

In aviation, the services will purchase:

In the aviation procurement account, the Navy and Marines are seeking $16.8 billion to buy a total of 96 aircraft for the Navy and Marine Corps – nine F-35C Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters for the Navy, four F-35Cs for the Marine Corps, 15 F-35B short take-off and vertical landing aircraft for the Marine Corps, five E-2D Advanced Hawkeyes, six multi-engine training system aircraft for the Navy, four multi-engine training system aircraft for the Marine Corps, five KC-130Js for the Marine Corps, 10 CH-53K King Stallion helicopters for the Marine Corps, 21 TH-73A training helicopters for the Navy, five TH-73A training helicopters, three MQ-4C Tritons for the Navy, four MQ-25A Stingrays for the Navy and five MQ-9A Reapers for the Marine Corps.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
At our peak, we had ~53 OHP Frigates. Fixing that problem could get us way closer.

red_stang65

pilot
Curious to read what things were cut in order to make these new purchases. I’m sure more than just LCS is being cut to pay bills, so what else are we losing?

taxi1

pilot
That will allow them to buy a bucket of bolts and a couple hours of gas for the F35.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Curious to read what things were cut in order to make these new purchases. I’m sure more than just LCS is being cut to pay bills, so what else are we losing?

The rumors I hear is a lot of "lower end" acquisitions which could be useful in smaller conflicts are now on the chopping block. I guess they'll make up the difference with F-35s or something. No need to think about FLE and life-cycle costs when you'll be retired by then, I suppose.

In Joint news, looks like the Navy will have a harder time hand waving PR requirements and hoping the USAF RQS will handle it.
Regarding the Pave Hawk, 1980s to now is four decades, not two as the article appears to state.

Last edited: