• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Road to 350: What Does the US Navy Do Anyway?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Kori Schake reviews a couple of books detailing naval strategy and the problems facing the US Navy. From Foreign Affairs:

Lost at Sea​

The Dangerous Decline of American Naval Power​

By Kori Schake

March/April 2022

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Some of us had the same opinion, we must maximize the flexibility of 10 LHD’s/LHA’s that are the size of Midway class carriers and can each bring 20 F-35’s to the fleet. If there is a conflict with China, the blue water Navy is going to need help - and a bunch (or as Jim123 stated: a congregation) of gators could be a big help. With the Marine Corps looking at a larger number of smaller amphibs and retiring large amounts of armor, artillery and helicopters, it might be an opportune time to test the Lightning carrier concept, perhaps in a task force of 2-4 gators together.
Looks like the Marines will be testing out next month both the Lightning Carrier" concept as well as embarking a squadron of 10 F-35B's with a the full complement of helicopters and tilt-rotors of the MEU.

1647709514476.png

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Looks like the Marines will be testing out next month both the Lightning Carrier" concept as well as embarking a squadron of 10 F-35B's with a the full complement of helicopters and tilt-rotors of the MEU.

View attachment 34696
Recognizing it is still in the concept phase, I think this is a great idea for expanding capacity.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Having 10 F-35s doesn’t make it a lightning carrier.
And twenty F-35s with limited rotary wing? The article says "... 20 F-35Bs will be conducting sustained operations followed by surge operations from the USS Tripoli. " Seems they are exercising two different concepts.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And twenty F-35s with limited rotary wing? The article says "... 20 F-35Bs will be conducting sustained operations followed by surge operations from the USS Tripoli. " Seems they are exercising two different concepts.
Nope. Give them AEW, Growlers and AR, then you can have your lightning carrier.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nope. Give them AEW, Growlers and AR, then you can have your lightning carrier.
Agree, that is the all purpose CV concept. But historicly we have had other carriers. CVS, CVA, CVE, etc. Even under current CONOPS, we operate Harriers off gators without the support mentioned. It isn't like DDGs and CGs can't provide AEW. And although we can't discuss it here, sooner or later F-35s will have some sort of EW capability.

Worth noting that this debate takes place on the 100th anniversary of the aircraft carrier, as marked by the Langley's commissioning.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Agree, that is the all purpose CV concept. But historicly we have had other carriers. CVS, CVA, CVE, etc. Even under current CONOPS, we operate Harriers off gators without the support mentioned. It isn't like DDGs and CGs can't provide AEW. And although we can't discuss it here, sooner or later F-35s will have some sort of EW capability.

Worth noting that this debate takes place on the 100th anniversary of the aircraft carrier, as marked by the Langley's commissioning.

Will be interesting to see what becomes of our experiments, as well as the UK’s two Queen Elizabeth (65,000 tons) jump carriers and Japan’s two Izumo (30,000) jump carriers. Do you let the jump carriers operate independently? Do you fold the jump carriers into a USN carrier battle group? Do you mass the jump carriers for a sufficient sortie rate? Do you rebuild any of the jump carriers with catapults and arresting gear?

A few of items of note: saw an article that the UK is considering a catapult and arresting gear system for UAV’s up to 55,000 lbs, the Queen Elizabeth’s and the Izumo’s have the speed to keep up a US carrier battle group while the US gators do not, the Izumos have more hangar space than the US gators but haven’t seen any numbers on the amount of fuel and ordinance they can carry.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

View attachment 34696

A full up squadron on top of everyone else on the boat? More dudes, less space, and hot-racking Marines, what could go wrong?!

I wonder what the deck cycle is going to look like when all of those airplanes have to land to get gas. We haven't heard much about the Plopter tanker idea in a few years, and I'm sure that's one more mission the VMM really wants to pick up.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
A full up squadron on top of everyone else on the boat? More dudes, less space, and hot-racking Marines, what could go wrong?!

I wonder what the deck cycle is going to look like when all of those airplanes have to land to get gas. We haven't heard much about the Plopter tanker idea in a few years, and I'm sure that's one more mission the VMM really wants to pick up.

The article stated that a number of helicopters would be on the LPD. Question is: how many skids and 53's can you crossdeck? As for deck cycles, the article stated that is one of the reasons they are running exercises.

Nice photo of some 53's with a Puma doing vertrep.

1647806157107.png

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot

If they put 2 x VMFAs on an LHA there won’t be much room or need for anything else. They will probably stuff the well decks for other enablers that need moved (MLG, MWSS, MACG etc). They’re already talking about expanding the spots to allow for VLs on more spots than just 7 and 9. It’ll be a requirement to move the chess pieces and decrease the paint swapping opportunities.

VMMs aren’t going to AR F-35s. The required give for an F-35 is in excess of what they would need to carry to make it useful. A KC-130 barely gives enough gas as it stands right now. The Lightening Carrier concept is nothing more than a demonstration and validation of what we already know. An LHA is not a carrier, but a modified version of aviation combat element. Both a CVN and LHA need support from the Air Force for the next fight.

I was under the impression the Brits have a RW AEW platform for the QE?

The article stated that a number of helicopters would be on the LPD. Question is: how many skids and 53's can you crossdeck? As for deck cycles, the article stated that is one of the reasons they are running exercises.

Nice photo of some 53's with a Puma doing vertrep.

View attachment 34703

This is nothing new. Future and some current ARG/MEUs will have variations of 2 LPDs with a mix of HMH and HMLA footprints. As the LSDs get phased out this should will most likely be the standard organization. The deck cycle is probably specifically to assess how many sorties they can generate for F-35s probably taking into account launching, recovering, and hot gas/loading.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Harriers off gators, yes, but they aren't lightning carriers. Harriers aren't capable A/A players. DDGs and CGs aren't and E-2D. F-35 has some EW capes, but those are designed for a very specific purpose. If you want those F-35s to operate like a CVW, they need Growlers and E-2D. Until that happens, calling them lightning carriers is meaningless. You're just not going to do DCA against an advanced threat with just F-35 unless you're ALR extreme, and that's just dumb.

All I'm going to say. This conversation is about as useful as the "bring back the (Tomcat/Viking/Etc)" nonesense. It just makes people look silly, who clearly don't know any better.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
If they put 2 x VMFAs on an LHA there won’t be much room or need for anything else. They will probably stuff the well decks for other enablers that need moved (MLG, MWSS, MACG etc). They’re already talking about expanding the spots to allow for VLs on more spots than just 7 and 9. It’ll be a requirement to move the chess pieces and decrease the paint swapping opportunities.

VMMs aren’t going to AR F-35s. The required give for an F-35 is in excess of what they would need to carry to make it useful. A KC-130 barely gives enough gas as it stands right now. The Lightening Carrier concept is nothing more than a demonstration and validation of what we already know. An LHA is not a carrier, but a modified version of aviation combat element. Both a CVN and LHA need support from the Air Force for the next fight.

I was under the impression the Brits have a RW AEW platform for the QE?
Interesting, and yeah, I agree with you. The room or need for anything else if they throw 2x VMFAs isn't there- that's just a plus up on the aviation capability of the ESG when they're going someplace that they don't need all of the other stuff. But 1xVMFA with all of the other people, airplanes, and stuff that comes with it smells like the idea of overconfident Generals that want to put a MEU in places that it probably shouldn't be without the CSG.

I suppose Harriers have been okay without a recovery tanker for, what, 40 years? But they really never had a (realistic) A/A mission.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Harriers off gators, yes, but they aren't lightning carriers. Harriers aren't capable A/A players. DDGs and CGs aren't and E-2D. F-35 has some EW capes, but those are designed for a very specific purpose. If you want those F-35s to operate like a CVW, they need Growlers and E-2D. Until that happens, calling them lightning carriers is meaningless. You're just not going to do DCA against an advanced threat with just F-35 unless you're ALR extreme, and that's just dumb.

All I'm going to say. This conversation is about as useful as the "bring back the (Tomcat/Viking/Etc)" nonesense. It just makes people look silly, who clearly don't know any better.
Guess it took a lot of powerful nonsensical people to propose this experiment. All I will say is it all depends on how you define a Carrier. No it isn't a CVN with the notional CVW embarked. CVAs and CVSs had limitations, but we made it work. They were aircraft carriers. If as suggested the lessons learned are about deck spots, cyclic rate etc, then, if you need this configuration, all limitations will be known.