• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Road to 350: What Does the US Navy Do Anyway?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Big news from Japan. Looks like they are contemplating a couple of 20,000 ton “destroyers” with beams up to 130 for missile defense.

The two Aegis destroyers are expected to have a displacement of around 20,000 tons with a length of 690 feet and a beam of around 130 feet, making them one of the largest and heaviest ship that the JMSDF will operate.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting article from Jerry Hendrix in The Atlantic; of note how airplane manufacturers were able to get subsidies and survive while -US shipbuilders got “free market” and were decimated.

Ah, Dr Jerry Hendrix. Perpetual Holder of the Dunning-Kruger Chair of Naval Science. The article's paywalled so I couldn't read it, but I assume it was another variation on his usual theme, "This is what the Navy should do, ignoring budgets, time, politics, industrial capacity, and technological maturity."

I honestly have no idea how a guy with his education, bio, and professional background can think DoD still lives in a Reagan era of infinite-money cheat codes.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Ah, Dr Jerry Hendrix. Perpetual Holder of the Dunning-Kruger Chair of Naval Science. The article's paywalled so I couldn't read it, but I assume it was another variation on his usual theme, "This is what the Navy should do, ignoring budgets, time, politics, industrial capacity, and technological maturity."

I honestly have no idea how a guy with his education, bio, and professional background can think DoD still lives in a Reagan era of infinite-money cheat codes.
Well, it is less as you imagine and more a broad rambling through Mahan theory. He isn’t wrong although like many other recent planners he give too much mythical power to China to execute military actions at will. In the end all he is recommending is that our budget starts to shift the focus a little to the critical nature of “maritime” power (as opposed to “naval” power). In that it is written for the general audience it isn’t a bad piece.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know about this. The government is still printing money and the spending keeps going up. To clarify. There IS infinite money, but not for the Navy like it was in the 1980s. Plenty other constituencies always seem to have money to spend on less important stuff.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This should be interesting....

What's his reputation?

He's known for being good to work for, and taking care of his people. He's wearing a flight suit to a 60 minutes interview. That should also tell you something about him. Looking forward to the interview. He knows that the real audience is in Beijing.

** Disclaimer - he's also my boss, but he's a straight shooter and always very supportive of PMRF when we need the Flags to weigh in.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We had an opportunity to get then-NAVCENT some flight time in the mighty MH-53E back in 2021 - he is the real deal and has quite the sense of humor.. Frankly he was the first Admiral I’ve ever met and I think we are lucky to have him in the job.
Good thing he didn't opt for The Show, eh? I imagine if he swung by here someone would tell him he made a mistake not getting out at 10 years and go to United.