• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Restricted activities (motorcycles, skiing, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VarmintShooter said:
Info for TW-4
Boy, that last one is pretty much a catch all, yes? Since when was skiing an "extreme" sport? Keep your collective chins up, it will all be over soon.

Brett

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Patmack18 said:
Thats what you get for acting like a whiney biz-natch and hanging your friends out to dry.

rolleyes.gif

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
So is it just our wing/squadron that requires us on Friday flight briefs to wrap up by ORMing our planned weekend activities with our instructor?

theduke

man, that sucks. what in the hell do you do for fun? the only two things i can think of that i enjoy that don't fall into the "potentially dangerous" (by their standards) category are playing guitar and shooting guns. All of my really favorite pastimes (wringing out sports cars and sportbikes, skiing) are on the "bad list", and i was looking forward to doing a bunch of SCUBA diving while down in Pensacola.

if you drop out of flight school, what are the odds of getting an MOS you want? any chance of knowing that you could pick up a particular MOS before DORing?

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
Are you serious

Duke are you seriously considering dropping out of flight school because you can go scuba diving and motorcycle riding?...Im sure there is plenty of other things you can do for fun.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
The Future of Naval Aviation:

bubbleboypic.jpg

Does this mean I have to withdraw from the next Ultimate Fighting Championship in Taiwan?? :icon_smok

My INITIAL reaction was these rules will really cramp my style...I really enjoy Auto-X and frankly am having a hard time processing why I can drive 80 MPH on I-285 in Atlanta, but God forbid I drive in an SCCA-sanctioned event in a parking lot. You never know when one of those traffic cones is going to up and attack you.

Also big on my list:
Scuba (jeebus, I basically grew up in Pensacola)
Boating (see above)
Climbing
Skiing (I enjoy it, but wouldn't have the slightest problem giving it up for a little while)
Mtn. biking (OK, so there aren't that many mountains in Pensacola)

Looks like fun is limited to drinking, shooting guns (now that's a great combination!) and playing parcheesi.

THAT SAID, it's a small price to pay to be allowed to fly Mach 1+, inverted and blowing shiite up, etc., etc. (basically all the stuff you've wanted to do since you were five).

I still think it's crap I won't be able to take out my parents' boat or waverunners, tho. Booo. :D

This whole situation reminds me of Jeff Kent, haha...

theduke

Duke are you seriously considering dropping out of flight school because you can go scuba diving and motorcycle riding?...

nah, i was thinking about it before i even found out about this. i never had any intention of being an NFO.

^^you can't take boats out, either??!! what in the hell, just today i was thinking about buying a boat when i get to FL, if it turns out they won't let me do anything else.

^yeah, but i've been in 4 motorcycle wrecks on the street, and while i walked away from all of them (partially due to luck, partially due to wearing 1 piece armored leathers, boots, spine armor, good gloves, and a full-face helmet), i finally got it through my thick head that the proper place for a sportbike is a road course. that way, when you turn it rubber side up, you will most likely go bouncing along through the grass, instead of eating a guardrail, tree, rock, oncoming car, curb, etc.

i'm not sure if i want to even bother with sportbikes and sports cars anymore if i can't take them to racetracks (i mean, i've done it for years, and had tons of fun, but ironically enough, i fear too much for my SAFETY to keep doing it). my last bike got stolen back in the summer, but i'm thinking seriously about selling my car and buying a little Civic hatchback or some other little ****box. not sure if i want to blow money on fast cars and bikes until i can do what i want with them (and if i DOR and go ground, i'm sure i'll be headed to the sandbox pretty quickly, and i sure as hell won't need a car there). i might just buy some cheap, basic transportation, then buy a Lotus Elise in a couple of years.

THAT SAID, it's a small price to pay to be allowed to fly Mach 1+, inverted and blowing shiite up, etc., etc. (basically all the stuff you've wanted to do since you were five).

i agree 100%, if it is the job you've wanted to do since you were 5. all i've ever wanted to do since elementary school was to be a military pilot...originally just to fly awesome aircraft, but since i got older and pretty well-versed in international affairs, to kill bad guys (both to support American interests and to take out sh!tty people who are cancers to humanity). sounds morbid to some, i'm guess, but there's a pretty good explanation of my mentality in a book called On Killing by retired Army Lt Col Dave Grossman.

NFOs are quite important, i realize, but you aren't flying the airplane, and you aren't really directly killing the enemy...which are pretty much the two big things that appeal to me about aviation.

I'm also thinking about going to another service when my contract is up with the USMC (that's a little bit of a bitter pill, too, but i'll do what i have to do). maybe fly AH-64s in the Army, or just go get some lame civilian job (my degree is in mechanical engineering, so i'll be able to pay the bills, even though my job might suck) and see what the Air National Guard can do for me.

theduke

hopefully that rather verbose post makes some sense. i kept adding stuff in--i think it might be a little bit rambling and not very clearly laid out.

^^the orange vest is fairly gay, but pretty inconsequential.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Tripp said:
The Future of Naval Aviation: ...

Awesome post (would give rep, but must spread it around first ...)

Does this mean I have to withdraw from the next Ultimate Fighting Championship in Taiwan?? :icon_smok

You too are training to be a cage fighter?

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Gawd I'm going to miss this....

edit: Michelin Powers are AWESOME track tires!

Attachments

• Resized.JPG
    Resized.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 36

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Yep, they be speedmaster leathers. I have a little patch of leather on the outside part of the leg by the left kneepuck where it rubbed through on the track. For some reason I cannot explain, I somehow put my knee down in such a manner that the actual leather touched down...I also wore off one of the velcro tabs on a puck.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the bike in that picture and getting a street-legal super motard. Deal's Gap was fun on that bike, but I can only imagine what it would be like on motard.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
CRF450 motarded out! That would be too sweet! If I could get rid of my ZX9 for a decent price, I'd be all over that.

theduke

haha, Deals Gap is AWESOME

except for the fact that it has a voracious appetite for GSX-R 750s.

00229836.jpg

yep, the Gap would be fun on a motard. I saw a KTM Duke II on slicks going through there in a damned HURRY. i'm not even sure i would've had anything on him with my GSX-R (there aren't many times you can even get to WOT at the Gap, and i only broke 100 mph in two places).

something like an SV650 or old Hawk GT would be fun there, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.