• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Restricted activities (motorcycles, skiing, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

theduke

Are there restrictions on participating in activities such as motorcycling (to include track days), skiing, or any other potentially dangerous things while you're in flight school (or in the fleet)?

theduke

that's stupid...track days are so much safer than hauling ass on a public road.

oh well...

what about car track days?

where can that list be found?

is this just until you get winged, or throughout your career?

KBayDog

While you are in training (up to the RAG), you are forbidden from the following:

Parasailing
Racing Motorized Vehicles (incl. motocross)
Hang Gliding
Sky Diving
Cliff Diving
Cave Diving
Rock Climbing (w/o ropes)

You will be well briefed on what you can/cannot do when you check in at Pensacola.

theduke

i didn't know there was any danger inherent in parasailing! they do mean the thing where you have a parachute strapped to you and you get towed behind a boat, right?

i can kinda understand skydiving...i mean, maybe there are enough broken ankles and stuff to blacklist it.

cliff diving? is that jumping from rock cliffs into water (like old rock quarries and stuff? we used to do that all the time in college).

i definitely understand freeclimbing being on the "bad" list.

now, when i say track days, i'm not talking about any sort of timed or competitive event. i'm talking about just open track riding sessions (and/or high-performance riding/driving schools).

i definitely understand motocross! i've been in 4 motorcycle wrecks on the street, and none of them compare to the pain i brought on myself from a bad landing from a double on a motocross track one time! didn't break anything, but took 10 stitches and 10 staples, and my knee was sore as hell for at least a month.

KBayDog

theduke said:
i didn't know there was any danger inherent in parasailing!

As a matter of fact, parasailing is one of the reasons these restrictions were put into effect. Without getting into details (and I do not recommend anyone get into them), there was a fatality recently regarding parasailing.

Think what you will about the restrictions (plus the increase in ORM forms for other "hazardous" activities - all of which will be explained to you in great depth when you check in), but they are here to stay.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
While attached to a CNATRA command (and in training) you can kiss many activities goodbye. The rules will be explained to you in detail when you get here, but basically any activity that could impede your training progress will be restricted.

Rock climbing (even with ropes) ... no go
Kite surfing ... run a chit
Scuba ... forget it
Intravenous drugs ... wait until the fleet

You get the idea. It's only until you get winged, so unfortunately you'll just need to suck it up. These rules do not extend to the fleet.

Think about it this way ... your number one goal should be wings, so put up with whatever you have to so you can get them.

theduke

^^oh yeah, i know that what i think doesn't really matter in terms of how the restrictions are applied.

it just makes me a little more hesitant to stay in the NFO pipeline.

what about skiing? that's probably my 2nd favorite recreational activity (behind motorsports)

^SCUBA too? that's another thing i want to try...i'd never thought of it as being dangerous (unless you're diving into wrecks or caves or something that you could get trapped in).

and i understand the rationale...it's just a bitter pill when i'm not all that fired up about going NFO to begin with.

KBayDog

If something as trivial as restricting some off-duty activities makes you hesitant about staying NFO, than perhaps you don't want it badly enough. If you want your wings, you will suck it up and drive on.

There are no restrictions on skiing; you just might have to submit an ORM form or something.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Scuba is not a restricted activity... I specifically listened for that at safety standdown since I've been into Scuba for awhile. I do know that cave diving is... and you can't scuba unless you're certified... but I think that's kind of common sense.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
scuba is not restricted

and hell, we took a T-45 cross country 2 weeks ago out to Denver to go skiing :)

and the auto-racing restriction is moronic, its once again coming from people who have zero idea and what is involved (I use to auto-x all the time in P'cola while I was in API and Primary)

that being said, track days are safer then driving on the roads in Corpus

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Scuba may not be on the list for you guys, but it was specifically mentioned at our safety standown ... so it is off-limits for us here.

Rock climbing at an indoor gym (3ft off the soft rubber landing area) was specifically disallowed for me as well.

Like I said ... all is subjective and totally dependent on your supervisors (I thought that scuba was off limits for all, sorry for the misinformation).

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Heck, you have one job as a student - get winged. Big Navy is spending a lot of coin on you until you get to that point so suck it up.

What you don't realize is that you will never have less responsibilities (and more free time) than when you are in flight school. You just have to use that time responsibly.

Unfortunately, some fool before you failed to use some common sense and hurt himself so now the instructors have to play daddy and you have to say, "Please , may I ...".

WannaBEaP3gal

I honestly don't get it... you can't do all that stuff till you get winged... so after they have spent all that money on your training and you finally serve a real purpose, you can go do all that crazy stuff. Is there some sort of rationale behind all this that I don't know about it???

Status
Not open for further replies.