• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve EDO DCO

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
What if I have a civilian CAC?
You definitely need a MIL issued CAC, Navy in this case. It's what provides quick visual verification of your MIL status, contains your MIL associated email/ID certificates.

Here's a pro-tip. Decide up front which CAC is more important to you, i.e. gets you paid. Modify the *other* one. Dual persona users have the hardest time because having two CACs will effectively turn them both off until one is PIV-enabled. Every time you update your certs or get a new CAC, you'll have to remember to have RAPIDS re-configure your CAC, or deal with doing it yourself through java web-apps, that barely work.

usmctonavy

You definitely need a MIL issued CAC, Navy in this case. It's what provides quick visual verification of your MIL status, contains your MIL associated email/ID certificates.

Here's a pro-tip. Decide up front which CAC is more important to you, i.e. gets you paid. Modify the *other* one. Dual persona users have the hardest time because having two CACs will effectively turn them both off until one is PIV-enabled. Every time you update your certs or get a new CAC, you'll have to remember to have RAPIDS re-configure your CAC, or deal with doing it yourself through java web-apps, that barely work.

Thanks Fieldrat-that is very good information to have. Sorry for the delayed response, apparently I am not getting email updates on this thread. I'll just have to check more often. I was also curious about when we typically run the first PRT. After DCOIC or before? Much appreciated.

Been quiet around here for a it. Found out my Commissioning has moved up by 12mo! Was told I would be pinning around Thanksgiving. Now I am trying to figure out how DCO will factor in because I am on the "back 9" of my Masters Courses. Will be done in the Summer. Wonder if they'll let me postpone until Aug-Sept or if I can wiggle my way into a course during my Spring Break. Bazooka_Matt are you drilling out of Jax? sroirrawria, have you commissioned yet? Where will you be drilling?

I am out of NOSC Los Angeles. Take DCO as soon as you can. Work it however you can to get a spot now! I have been drilling since June, had a DCO spot for OCT, and will go this January now. You can't progress with your EDQP until you go to DCO. Sure your MS or PhD is really more important but in reality you can miss 2 weeks of school. Sure your free DCO weekend will be shot while you do school work but make DCO happen ASAP.

With that said there is a new EDO who just did in-doc and won't start drilling until after DCO. I am not sure if this will be your fiat too. He's going this May to DCO. He just swore last week. Just be prepared for something like this.

Last edited:

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
... I was also curious about when we typically run the first PRT. After DCOIC or before? Much appreciated.

Your PFA/PRT will be on the same cycle as everyone else in the Navy, generally April/Oct with a bit of flex based on your unit. If you affiliate within 45 days of the PFA cycle, then you can apply for an "Acclimatization Waiver", but would still need to be the BCA (height/weight, optional waist tape).

DCOIC does conduct a mock PRT, but it doesn't actually count for your records. If, for some reason, you've been drilling and your DCO date is during the PFA cycle, then yeah, you probably need to get the PFA done. In that case, I'd speak with the class Officer/Chief and explain your situation. All this assumes you're medically able to participate in the PRT events (have current PHA and PARFQ).

usmctonavy

Alright-he time is here! Getting Commissioned this Saturday on the Zephyr! So looking for a bit of advice. The CO said I should have a few remarks prepared-not quite sure what to say except a big thank you. I wasn't sure if I should go into "Why I joined the Navy...ect" Second question, the CO is a LCDR. Do I refer to him as Captian, i.e. "Thank you to the Captian and crew of the USS Zephyr..." I come from the Air side so we typically called our CO's Skipper (is that big no no)-just trying not to step in it. Finally, my wife claims I need a coin for him, fo my first salute, I know at OCS they do the coin thing, but for DCO? (Silver Dollar?) Thanks in advance.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Alright-he time is here! Getting Commissioned this Saturday on the Zephyr! So looking for a bit of advice. The CO said I should have a few remarks prepared-not quite sure what to say except a big thank you. I wasn't sure if I should go into "Why I joined the Navy...ect" Second question, the CO is a LCDR. Do I refer to him as Captian, i.e. "Thank you to the Captian and crew of the USS Zephyr..." I come from the Air side so we typically called our CO's Skipper (is that big no no)-just trying not to step in it. Finally, my wife claims I need a coin for him, fo my first salute, I know at OCS they do the coin thing, but for DCO? (Silver Dollar?) Thanks in advance.
Like the CO said, keep your remarks brief - "Thanks everyone for coming out. Thanks to [God | spouse/Sig-O | family] for supporting me during this process. I'll do my best to make you proud." Full-Stop.

I've not referred to someone else's CO as Skipper, and only rarely do I call my CO (CAPT) Skipper, but that's a matter of preference on both sides, so YMMV.

The first salute coin/silver dollar tradition is generally for the first enlisted person to render you a salute, aka, "Buy the first one, earn all the rest".

usmctonavy

Like the CO said, keep your remarks brief - "Thanks everyone for coming out. Thanks to [God | spouse/Sig-O | family] for supporting me during this process. I'll do my best to make you proud." Full-Stop.

I've not referred to someone else's CO as Skipper, and only rarely do I call my CO (CAPT) Skipper, but that's a matter of preference on both sides, so YMMV.

The first salute coin/silver dollar tradition is generally for the first enlisted person to render you a salute, aka, "Buy the first one, earn all the rest".

I appreciate the info fieldrat. Is the coin typically a Silver Dollar?

BigRed389

None

Captain is the normal form of address for the CO of any warship.

Most CO's in the Navy are Commanders but are referred to as Captain while they are serving as warship CO's.

Calling the CO Skipper isn't going to get you thrown off the ship or anything, but it would be odd.

usmctonavy

Thanks all! It went well. The CO was great, very welcoming, excited to do this on his ship. Passed down his bars to me which I thought was very awesome (I was only ever passed Corporal Chevrons in the past). Gave me some sage advice and John Paul Jones’ letter on the qualities/requirements of a Naval Officer. Excited to get moving-I look forward now to starting my drill!

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
Thanks all! It went well. The CO was great, very welcoming, excited to do this on his ship. Passed down his bars to me which I thought was very awesome (I was only ever passed Corporal Chevrons in the past). Gave me some sage advice and John Paul Jones’ letter on the qualities/requirements of a Naval Officer. Excited to get moving-I look forward now to starting my drill!
Congratulations. I was only ever given corporal chevrons as well. I passed mine down too.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

That's my old ship! Enjoy your time on the finest (and fastest) PC in the fleet!

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Does anyone know what's considered "competitive" for Reserve EDO selection or have a program authorization on hand? Would software engineer with a BS/MS in computer science have a shot or are there special preferences?