• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve EDO DCO

Able

RUFiO181,

I was going to address that in my earlier post -- but I didn't want it to get off track. Agreed, I could ask my OR -- that's the easy button. However, the ORs that I've dealt with like applicants to try and solve their own problems first. I've had good luck tracking down instructions and doing the groundwork to 'get smart' on most subjects, then hitting the OR for backup. In any event, I just wanted to get an official version out there so future applicants could do their own research.

Again, I appreciate all of your help. Thank you for the reply.

Very Respectfully,
CTN1

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
RUFiO181,

I was going to address that in my earlier post -- but I didn't want it to get off track. Agreed, I could ask my OR -- that's the easy button. However, the ORs that I've dealt with like applicants to try and solve their own problems first. I've had good luck tracking down instructions and doing the groundwork to 'get smart' on most subjects, then hitting the OR for backup. In any event, I just wanted to get an official version out there so future applicants could do their own research.

Again, I appreciate all of your help. Thank you for the reply.

Very Respectfully,
CTN1

Your OR is a genius. If you need a PA from him/her, just ask.

The whole purpose of AW is to be a GUIDE, not the one stop shop to joining the Navy. Applicants, should always turn to their OR or CCC (if circumstances are needed) first before asking others on AWs. My job isn't to be your recruiter, but to assist if needed.

usmctonavy

Figured I'd post here because there isn't any other active DCO-EDO board alive atm. I had previously applied for AD-IWO (FY'14), DCO-CWO program (FY'17) was non-select. 4 months later I find myself in a better position for EDO and was told to put in for June boards-gathered all info, interviews and extras in under 24hrs. Talk about a whirlwind. Great interviews with other REDO's (O6, O5) with glowing endorsements. Feeling very positive about making this one. Will be my third attempt to get my commission in the Navy-hoping third time really is the charm.

Figured I'd post here because there isn't any other active DCO-EDO board alive atm. I had previously applied for AD-IWO (FY'14), DCO-CWO program (FY'17) was non-select. 4 months later I find myself in a better position for EDO and was told to put in for June boards-gathered all info, interviews and extras in under 24hrs. Talk about a whirlwind. Great interviews with other REDO's (O6, O5) with glowing endorsements. Feeling very positive about making this one. Will be my third attempt to get my commission in the Navy-hoping third time really is the charm.

Keep up the good fight. It's possible. If your civilian experience is good, don't see why they wouldn't pick you up. Hell they selected me.

usmctonavy

Keep up the good fight. It's possible. If your civilian experience is good, don't see why they wouldn't pick you up. Hell they selected me.
Thanks for the motivation. How are you enjoying the EDO community? I work NAVAIR right now as a civ, thought it would be a good change of pace to go surface.

Can't say much yet. Just had indoc at the NOCS. I did meet the CO and other JOs. It looks like the next 4 years my job is to become fully qualified as an EDO. It looks like the program is well organized and that people will help you out as long as you're self motivated.

As a former AT2, I gotta say things seem a bit different from the NAVAIR days but same navy different gear. I however am still too new to tell you other wise. Being an officer now is a trip, I am happy to have made it. I know that as I progress in my career as an officer that the differences will become much more apparent.

Good luck with the application process let me know if you have questions.

usmctonavy

How was the indoc? Board just met (according to schedule) on Monday-not sure when results are going to be out, but I realized it was for FY 19, so I am not sure how that plays into everything-i.e. will I actually start drilling after I get (if I get) selected? I was equivalent to an AT in the Marines (I was an avionics calibration tech I-Level)-MOS 6492. Has to be a nice feeling being on the "other" side; are you find most folks receptive and helpful? Thanks for the info!

Let me first say put the results part out of your mind. It took me 4, yes 4---4 months, to get the selection board results. So just wait until some time in FY 19 for them to come out. You'll die if you agonize over them it's not worth the stress.

Idoc is Indoc, 10% helpful 90% checking off boxes. I will say being a reservist is very different I wish I could elaborate but it's just different. If your selected this week you'll probably start drilling next year. From selection to my first drill was about 6 months, it could be a touch earlier or later depending on the various navy wizards that cast magic spells to push your paper work through. As far as folks being more receptive.... well just smile nod and be patient. Remember your whole navy reserve start will depend on a nameless PS3 somewhere. Remember don't ever piss off the cooks, admin, or supply.

Best of luck. But at this point you've done what you can. I hope it works out for you.

Let me first say put the results part out of your mind. It took me 4, yes 4---4 months, to get the selection board results. So just wait until some time in FY 19 for them to come out. You'll die if you agonize over them it's not worth the stress.

Idoc is Indoc, 10% helpful 90% checking off boxes. I will say being a reservist is very different I wish I could elaborate but it's just different. If your selected this week you'll probably start drilling next year. From selection to my first drill was about 6 months, it could be a touch earlier or later depending on the various navy wizards that cast magic spells to push your paper work through. As far as folks being more receptive.... well just smile nod and be patient. Remember your whole navy reserve start will depend on a nameless PS3 somewhere. Remember don't ever piss off the cooks, admin, or supply.

Best of luck. But at this point you've done what you can. I hope it works out for you.
What did you need for paperwork at INDOC?

I plan to bring copies of everything I signed w my recruiter.

Just wondering if you needed anything beyond that? Social security card, birth cert, etc.

What did you need for paperwork at INDOC?

I plan to bring copies of everything I signed w my recruiter.

Just wondering if you needed anything beyond that? Social security card, birth cert, etc.

Bring your vaccination records and other dental / med records that may apply. I didn't need anything. Hell I brought all the stuff you mentioned and my service file from my enlisted years. I didn't need anything, but good to bring it anyways.

Leon Chen

Hey guys,

Good to see so many EDO applicants here. I am trying to apply for EDO as well but active. Is the EDO board in the FY 17 schedule excel for active or reserve? My recruiter said he is helping me to get ready for sept 18 board. But I did not see any EDO board at that day. Can you guys help me to understand the EDO board schedule thing?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Good to see so many EDO applicants here. I am trying to apply for EDO as well but active. Is the EDO board in the FY 17 schedule excel for active or reserve? My recruiter said he is helping me to get ready for sept 18 board. But I did not see any EDO board at that day. Can you guys help me to understand the EDO board schedule thing?

Thanks!

Leon, are you a qualified SWO or qualified Sub officer now?

Either way please refer to this: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...000/1200Classification/Documents/1212-040.pdf

For AD you need to be qualified SWO or Sub. The reserves have the idea is that EDOs have completed similar education (MS / PhDs in engineering) as required by AD. But have obtained 5+ years of work / leadership experience instead of SWO etc. I think the reserve idea is they'll take you if you're a solid engineer then once selected you'll be taught to be an officer / EDO.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Either way please refer to this: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...000/1200Classification/Documents/1212-040.pdf

For AD you need to be qualified SWO or Sub. The reserves have the idea is that EDOs have completed similar education (MS / PhDs in engineering) as required by AD. But have obtained 5+ years of work / leadership experience instead of SWO etc. I think the reserve idea is they'll take you if you're a solid engineer then once selected you'll be taught to be an officer / EDO.

Sounds like @Leon Chen is applying for active duty SWO-EDO. Different standards/requirements than DCO EDO.

Also, he doesn't need to be a SWO or Sub to apply.

Leon Chen

Sounds like @Leon Chen is applying for active duty SWO-EDO. Different standards/requirements than DCO EDO.

Also, he doesn't need to be a SWO or Sub to apply.

Thanks so much for this information!