• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rescue Dawn - Escape of LT Dieter Dengler from Laos POW camp

VAmookie

Finally saw it today --- DVD rental --- it's good; I recommend it to anyone & everyone.

It ain't perfect (and who/what amongst us is, BTW?) i.e., there's some "technical" errors and some "didn't happen" RAH-RAH at the end of the film ..... but:

It's a story about heroism, sacrifice, courage, determination, and brotherhood. There is a least one lesson in there for ALL of us -- let us hope we are never called upon to make the sacrifices of LT Dengler and his brothers ....

dengler2spadsa3zz1.jpg
dieterdenglerax2.jpg

RIP, Brother Dengler.

Where is that headstone? Arlington, Pensacola?

submarinerssbn

i thought from the stand point of somone who hasn't made it yet, it is a great side to show and encourage young soon to be pilots, to stick in there. I hope the training we recieve will help us to make it just like that brave NAVY PILOT did. "Go Navy"

brownshoe

Contributor
Besides, Cat gets it ... and that's what counts for me. ;)

I know you guys, just yankin' A4's chain.:) The kidding around and the fun we had was most certainly the best part, even for us enlisted folk, I wish I could go back. I'm not sure though how much of the "stuff" we used to do would be acceptable in the PC navy of today. :eek:

At squadron reunions we'd break into inane chatter only decipherable by those who had been there. Sadly we haven't had one of those in a few years.:( Yes A4's I know you were just kidding around, believe me I knew I didn't need to ride to the rescue. Any naval aviator I ever knew could stand his own, and verbally spar with anyone. From what I've seen of Catmando, I knew he had a salvo. :D No offense meant, and I hope none taken.

Steve

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I know you guys, just yankin' A4's chain.:) The kidding around and the fun we had was most certainly the best part, even for us enlisted folk, I wish I could go back. I'm not sure though how much of the "stuff" we used to do would be acceptable in the PC navy of today. :eek:...... No offense meant, and I hope none taken.

Steve
Of course not, Steve-o , no offense; no way ... and I knew you "got it" too, I just thought a brief "explanation" for all the unwashed might be in order, as many (most?) of 'em don't understand the "rock-and-roll" of the Ready Room and/or the flight line.

Bottom line: Any day you get a chance to talk smack to a Fighter-puke (and it is two words, hyphenated, BTW ;)) is a good day, indeed.

But we; we band of Bruddahs ... "get it" , yeas??? :)

That's not you prowling the wet monsoon deck in the So. China Sea, is it ... ???

temp056ex3.jpg

brownshoe

Contributor

But we; we band of Bruddahs ... "get it" , yeas??? :)

That's not you prowling the wet monsoon deck in the So. China Sea, is it ... ???

temp056ex3.jpg

Nope not me… I wore bell-bottomed dungarees, chambray shirts, flight deck boots and a red or brown vest to show what rate/job I was doing at the time. That’s how it was “way” back then. But yep, hot decks, cold decks, and wet decks, I worked them all. I wouldn’t trade any of those days, no way… By God what a bunch of great people I served with!

You young people joining now have no idea. This is a bond with people that could be formed for a lifetime. I know it sounds “corny” but it’s true..… All of us old fart’s, we all have something in common… We were “Navy.”:D

Steve

BlkPny

pilot
I don't know if this was in the movie, but in a SERE seminar some of us "high risk" types (pilots, boat drivers, etc) took at Coronado amphib base, the instructor talked at length about Dieter Dengler. He had his own evasion and escape plan. Suposedly, he always flew with a set of civilian work clothes with him. If shot down over the North, he planned to change clothes, try to make his way to Haiphong, and claim he was an East German merchant mariner who got drunk and robbed of his identification and money. He would then try to BS his way onto the crew of any E German freighter going back home. He figured that if he could get to Germany, he could more easily find a way back. Pretty ingenious. It would have been interesting to see how this whole thing would have played out.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bottom line: Any day you get a chance to talk smack to a Fighter-puke (and it is two words, hyphenated, BTW ;)) is a good day, indeed.

Sorry to ruin your day but............No hyphen ever needed for fighters.

Just like there's ''no crying in baseball", there's no "puke in fighters." [Except maybe for VF-143, aka the Pukin' Dogs]

Now attack-pukes are a different story. :splat_125
:D:D