• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rescue Dawn - Escape of LT Dieter Dengler from Laos POW camp

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I saw it the other night....not all that bad. Kind of cool to see Spads in a movie. Heard a funny story about Dengler on Thanksgiving night. Turned out the night before he sailed on his nugget cruise, he was getting hammered at the Alameda O club..... and he kept playing Tom Jone's "what's new pussycat whooa..." on the jukebox. He was told not to play it again lest he wanted to get knocked out.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Has anyone seen a movie made since 1965 that came out of Hollywood that was an accurate portrayal and cast the military in a good light?
Nose

In addition to Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers as Tex has mentioned previously, I might add We Were Soldiers, Blackhawk Down, and Thin Red Line. (I would maybe add Flight of the Intruder and some others, but I naturally tend to discount A-6 stories. :D)

I look forward to finally seeing Rescue Dawn since I had long ago met the man and know some of his story.

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
I was watching it last night but fell asleep half way through. I liked most of what I saw but I think I'm not going to finish it.

Nose

pilot
In addition to Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers as Tex has mentioned previously, I might add We Were Soldiers, Blackhawk Down, and Thin Red Line. (I would maybe add Flight of the Intruder and some others, but I naturally tend to discount A-6 stories. :D)

I look forward to finally seeing Rescue Dawn since I had long ago met the man and know some of his story.

Okay rolling edit:

With the exception of
Private Ryan
Band of Brothers
Blackhawk Down
Thin Red Line
We Were Soldiers

Has anyone seen anything come out of Hollywood...blah blah blah.

I'll go see the movie.

PS Flight of the Intruder was a good book, if you think it was a good movie, you prolly LOVED Top Gun, Crimson Tide, and Iron Eagle.

brownshoe

Contributor
Finally saw it today --- DVD rental --- it's good; I recommend it to anyone & everyone.

Thanks, saw it advertised today for sale on DVD and I was wondering. Gonna buy it now. I’m too cheap to go to a movie theater, and I rarely rent movies. (Cuts into the beer money.):) Sadly I’m old enough to have worked around Spads, so it’ll be fun to watch. It was a great plane. Fighter guys got all the way down to 10,000 feet:), these guys went in at tree top level. (Shiver.)

Steve

brownshoe

Contributor
Okay rolling edit:

With the exception of
Private Ryan
Band of Brothers
Blackhawk Down
Thin Red Line
We Were Soldiers

Steven Coonts is not really a riveting author, but I agree I did like the book Nose. The movie… well it got me laid. True, I worked on A4’s but hey, the women, they didn’t know.

How ‘bout “Gardens of Stone?” (Great movie.) Or maybe… an oldie… so it won’t count date wise… But “The D.I.” with Jack Webb? Both good flicks as far as I’m concerned.

Steve

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....I would maybe add Flight of the Intruder....but I naturally tend to discount A-6 stories. ......
F-4 swine ... next time, I'll save the last 2000# of "give" for myself ... :D

But hey!!! At least "we" got a movie made about "us", yea-as ??? :)

Flight of the Intruder: sophomoric love story -- kinda like the drivel in Top Gun in that respect; the movie was chopped and dropped on its head, at best. The best scenes in Flight of the Ugly were the nighttime low levels with the onscreen glowing SAMs trails and AAA moving around the periphery of the cockpit view of the world ... :eek:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Man... you are tough. I'd give the guy a little slack.

Steve
An Attack guy give a Fighter guy some slack ... ??? I don't think so ..... and that's partly what's wrong today -- the Attack & Fighter communities have morphed into something F/A unrecognizable -- the "smack" is gone ... i.e., how can you give yourself shit ... ???? Unless you are mental, that is ...

>>>> LESSON FOR THE AGES: There is no slack in light/medium/heavy Attack .... :)

Besides, Cat gets it ... and that's what counts for me. ;)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Steve

"Slack" neither needed nor desired from lite/med-lite-attack tankers.

'Sides, me an' A4's go back a ways. He can call me anything as long as he doesn't hoard gas, or drifts far off his tanker station. Speed is life....and his gas. :D:D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

No quarter asked, none given.......and no offense taken (my guess), there is still there is respect in the exchange (not for amateurs though)

No matter what is said in wardroom or elsewhere. you better believe the recovery (A-6) tanker would be hawking the deck and magically appearing right where it was needed when a fighter got in extremis after a night in the barrel. I'd like to say the fighters would always be there for the A-6 (at least they would be if the A-6s needed them, but like Flight of the Intruder, Intruders did a lot of spectacular work all by their lonesome selves.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Once upon a time our fighter pilot bunkroom was unfortunately next to an attack-puke bunkroom. Those neighboring A-6 sleaze-bags never spoke to us, and we certainly never spoke to those low-life's.

But as the cruise wore on, they began speaking by calling us petty names, so we called them worse names. This escalated to their playing practical jokes, so we really messed them up with some really bad stuff. Eventually, over the 11-month cruise, despite our many personal 'gotchas', we actually socialized a bit (but would never admit it to our respective squadron mates :eek: ), although we still slung some serious mud back and forth at each other. And I would never admit it, but a couple of those A-6 guys were amazingly pretty darn good!

I really wish those guys were on this board so I could once again call them offensive names today…. But I can't because they (and their stories) are here

……..At least I can help by keeping those great attack-pukes' memories alive. :(