• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rescue Dawn - Escape of LT Dieter Dengler from Laos POW camp

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
How is this movie about a Naval Aviator not playing in or anywhere near Norfolk?

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Five Years To Freedom
60415066-0-l.jpg

by Col James N. Roe is a very compelling story.

Roe was a Green Beret Lieutenant who was captured in '63 along with two other members of his 12 man team, (one of which - Captain Rocky Versace - would later be posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor). Roe spent the next 5 years as a POW until he managed to escape on 31 December 1968.

Roe retired in '74, but was recalled to active duty in '81 because the Army wanted to use his experience as a POW as a basis for its SERE school. In '87 he was assigned to the Philippines where he was ambushed and killed by Filipino rebels while on his way to the US embassy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_N._Rowe

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Five Years To Freedom ......
Roe retired in '74, but was recalled to active duty in '81 because the Army wanted to use his experience as a POW as a basis for its SERE school
Colonel Nick Rowe (sic) was one of our "hero's" during SERE in the late 60's/early 70's ... and one of the case studies we experienced in classroom preparation. He was a frequent collaborator on POW/SERE issues of the day and occasionally participated in SERE as a guest speaker during the classroom portions at Coronado when he was available, as he was "off the clock" during those days. Some of the dates in the Wikipedia link are incorrect as they pertain to Nick Rowe's participation in the SERE program.

Col Rowe was a vocal and effective opponent of the Communists and an early-day anti-terror warrior. The VC/NVA put a price on Nick's head and the NPA -- New People's Army, heirs to the Communist HUK's and soul-mates to the present day Abu Sayef in the Philippines -- collected on that contract. The story of Nick Rowe and Rocky Versace are worth a read by any US military man or woman for the inspiration they will provide.

1995 - U.S. Gives Philippines Lukewarm Reminder to Keep Col. Rowe's Killers in Jail: http://www.usvetdsp.com/story16.htm

2.jpg

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
The story of Nick Rowe and Rocky Versace are worth a read by any US military man or woman for the inspiration they will provide.

The book was part of our curriculum when I was a cadet in college. I was so engrossed in it that I read it in one day. I can't imagine how those men endured what they went through.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, my Mom said she was going to go see it at the Commodore (Portsmouth) this past Saturday. Have to ask her how she liked it.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I saw the movie last weekend, I would have posted a review sooner but am at my house at school without internet, I just made it over to campus today.

Movie-wise, it was about 10-15 minutes too long, not long enough to piss you off, but enough for you to check your watch once or twice. The cinematography (sp?) was above average, and the acting was as well, except for a few parts that pegged my cheezy meter.

Story-wise, it was pretty sobering. It was interesting to watch, as someone said earlier, a film about camps in Laos as most of the films and documentaries cover Hanoi. There is a lot of good and bad that I took away from the movie, about as much as you can from a Hollywood movie, about how the protagonist handles himself in certain situations. Long story short, the movie makes you think, but can be depressing at times (rightfully so). Overall I was happy with the ticket purchase.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....it was about 10-15 minutes too long, not long enough to piss you off, but enough for you to check your watch once or twice.... pretty sobering .... Laos .... good and bad ... makes you think ... can be depressing ....
(preface this with: lest any get excited ... this is NOT a critique of BlackBear ... I gave the kid a pat on the head via "rep" for "taking the time" to review the movie :))

It's funny (to me) how a movie can seem "long" to many when juxtaposed against the "length" of time many of the movie characters endured in real life --- I wonder how many of us could have/would have prevailed while "checking our watch(es)" ... and thinking "this is taking a long time" ... ???

Now THAT's a "depressing" thought, to be sure ...

And LAOS?? Not many are aware of the not-so-"secret" war that went down along the Ho Chi Minh Trail and that took so many U.S. lives ... there's lots of stories about guys who went out, night after night, many single-ship road-recce .... and they just never came back.

This is not offered as a "downer" .... just something to think about, like BlackBear said ...

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
And LAOS?? Not many are aware of the not-so-"secret" war that went down along the Ho Chi Minh Trail and that took so many U.S. lives ... there's lots of stories about guys who went out, night after night, many single-ship road-recce .... and they just never came back. ...
As a quick Google of "Operation Barrel Roll", "Steel Tiger", or the infamous Mu Gia pass will show...:(

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Finally saw it today --- DVD rental --- it's good; I recommend it to anyone & everyone.

It ain't perfect (and who/what amongst us is, BTW?) i.e., there's some "technical" errors and some "didn't happen" RAH-RAH at the end of the film ..... but:

It's a story about heroism, sacrifice, courage, determination, and brotherhood. There is a least one lesson in there for ALL of us -- let us hope we are never called upon to make the sacrifices of LT Dengler and his brothers ....

dengler2spadsa3zz1.jpg
dieterdenglerax2.jpg

RIP, Brother Dengler.

haubby

None
Contributor
Just finished the movie. Recommend it. Good flick to burn on the boat or off...

Nose

pilot
http://rescuedawn.mgm.com/

Christian Bale and Steve Zahn will star in "Rescue Dawn," an action drama by Werner Herzog and based on the director's acclaimed 1997 documentary, "Little Dieter Needs to Fly". The film recounts the true story of German-born Dieter Dengler, who dreamed of being a pilot and eventually made his way to the United States, where he joined the military during the Vietnam War era. He was shot down over Vietnam and captured. Eventually he organized an escape with a small band of captives.

Looks like I might have to break my two year streak of not visiting a theater to see this. Hopefully they did the story justice.

If it comes out of Hollywood and it is about the military, it's gonna suck. The only thing they have out there to keep it real is the input of "Chinfo West" a bunch of PAOs who never did anything real in their life.

Has anyone seen a movie made since 1965 that came out of Hollywood that was an accurate portrayal and cast the military in a good light?

Nose

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If it comes out of Hollywood and it is about the military, it's gonna suck.....Has anyone seen a movie made since 1965 that came out of Hollywood that was an accurate portrayal and cast the military in a good light?

Nose
Rescue Dawn: it doesn't "suck". It's not perfect. But: I thought I just said it's worth a watch .... ???