• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rescue Dawn - Escape of LT Dieter Dengler from Laos POW camp

FastMover

NFO
None
http://rescuedawn.mgm.com/

Christian Bale and Steve Zahn will star in "Rescue Dawn," an action drama by Werner Herzog and based on the director's acclaimed 1997 documentary, "Little Dieter Needs to Fly". The film recounts the true story of German-born Dieter Dengler, who dreamed of being a pilot and eventually made his way to the United States, where he joined the military during the Vietnam War era. He was shot down over Vietnam and captured. Eventually he organized an escape with a small band of captives.

Looks like I might have to break my two year streak of not visiting a theater to see this. Hopefully they did the story justice.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://rescuedawn.mgm.com/

Christian Bale and Steve Zahn will star in "Rescue Dawn," an action drama by Werner Herzog and based on the director's acclaimed 1997 documentary, "Little Dieter Needs to Fly". The film recounts the true story of German-born Dieter Dengler, who dreamed of being a pilot and eventually made his way to the United States, where he joined the military during the Vietnam War era. He was shot down over Vietnam and captured. Eventually he organized an escape with a small band of captives.

Looks like I might have to break my two year streak of not visiting a theater to see this. Hopefully they did the story justice.

Just to be a stickler for correctness, Dieter Dengler was shot down over Laos, which made his story all the more remarkable as conflict in Laos was not acknowledged and odds were that he would not return. Still, GREAT topic for a movie. His escape after so long in captivity in such poor condition was incredible as was the heartpounding chase and his eventual recovery. One of the great stories to come out of that era.

FastMover

NFO
None
Just to be a stickler for correctness, Dieter Dengler was shot down over Laos, which made his story all the more remarkable as conflict in Laos was not acknowledged and odds were that he would not return. Still, GREAT topic for a movie. His escape after so long in captivity in such poor condition was incredible as was the heartpounding chase and his eventual recovery. One of the great stories to come out of that era.

Another one that always impressed me was the story of Capt. Lance Sijan. Unfortunately, his story didn't have a happy ending...

0704sijan1.jpg

KState_Poke22

My favorite is about a guy (I forgot his name now) who was a Marine in WW2. He joined the Air Force after and was shot down during Vietnam I believe. He escaped during a mock execution and was almost picked up by Marine helos but instead was shot and dragged back to the POW camp. After that, him and some other POW's were having a secret religious meeting when NVA troops busted in with machine guns pointed at them and the guy stood up and started singing the Star Spangled Banner and several other joined in with him. He was held for 5 years and got the Medal of Honor. This guy needs a movie about him.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If you watch the Little Dieter Needs to Fly movie, he recounts how his right-seater was decapitated in front of him during his escape. :eek: Amazing story

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Dieter Dengler was a hero to me and my contemporaries. A tiger and a stud. He was one of our "shining examples" of a POW's heroic resistance when I went through SERE ..... here's hoping the picture is good.

I'm going to get it/see it, good "reviews" or not ...

SKYRAIDER ASSN - DIETER DENGLER (includes some good pictures from the links)

DIETER DENGLER - Wikipedia

ARLINGTON CEMETERY WEBSITE - DIETER DENGLER

ensdieterpv9.jpg

Ens Dengler (second from left in pix) and some VA-145 Amigos "toasting" another squadron mate on the occasion of his impending nuptials ... :)

Deez

pilot
I saw the premier for it in LA a few weeks ago and it was a pretty decent flick. It is more a story of survival in the jungles of Vietnam than it is about Naval Aviation, but Christian Bale did a good job. I'd recommend checking it out when it comes out

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Just got back from the theater. I thought it was a pretty good movie. Some scenes visually left something to be desired, but over all it was a good movie.