• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Required Training and Qualifications for Reserve Information Warfare Community (IWC) Officers

Hair Warrior

Contributor
We’ll have to agree to disagree. The majority of 1835 mobs I’ve seen are not opintel and not at sea. Very few non-prior service 1835 officers ever serve on a ship. Nobody can commission in the Navy Reserve into a URL designator except prior enlisted SEALs, so the point “SWOs all train the same” is moot.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We’ll have to agree to disagree. The majority of 1835 mobs I’ve seen are not opintel and not at sea. Very few non-prior service 1835 officers ever serve on a ship. Nobody can commission in the Navy Reserve into a URL designator except prior enlisted SEALs, so the point “SWOs all train the same” is moot.

In your vast experience as an Ensign, eh? :D

But seriously, 1835’s generally don’t deploy to sea but they also rarely get to utilize much of those ‘special skills’ many DCO’s have either. Does the Navy benefit from DCO 1835’s? Sure, often not how many 1835’s might think, but the Navy does gain value or they wouldn’t still have the program. But they also aren’t often getting to do a lot of the glamorous or highly impactful jobs that many envision themselves doing after getting commissioned and qual’d.

The Navy Reserve DCO program is a bit of an odd duck in the military, but while it is unique that doesn’t mean those who are commissioned through the program will do unique and awesome things compared to their active duty or reserve peers. DCO 1835’s are just another body to put against billets, like everyone else in the Navy, the sooner they know their role the better they’ll do in the Navy.

bluemarlin04

Nobody can commission in the Navy Reserve into a URL designator except prior enlisted SEALs, so the point “SWOs all train the same” is moot.

But it isn’t Moot. Every url, reserve or active, have the same qualifications and training.

Why can’t the IW be the same? Why can’t 1835s have the same training as 1830s? IP is going down that route.

It is important everyone has the same training and same set of baseline expertise especially as they become senior officers.

I’ve seen 1835s not understand basic maritime maneuvers during exercises or understand basic intelligence operations. In fact, I had a 1835 LT tell me he was excited to get underway on the carrier as a targeteer so he can work on his SWO pin. That is a problem. We lose credibility amongs our officer peers like that.

egiv

Their point remains the same. The N2 shop in Djibouti is filled with about a hundred intel reservists doing the same types of jobs as their counterparts in a CSG. Only they get to stop work at 1600, have a beer, and don't have to stand watch.

Side note: when I was in DJ the person whose sole job was clicking the next slide during the N2 brief was an O5 1835.

bryanteagle6

I will be excited to have some experience to have an input in this convo in the future.... until then, my only 2cents would be to at least send DCOs to the 5 week ODS.
I could jump on board the 20 week NIOBC, but i havent been to either to compare.

Anyone have a comment on my training timeline vs @bubblehead timeline above? Waivers vs no waivers?
Newer doc.?

bluemarlin04

I will be excited to have some experience to have an input in this convo in the future.... until then, my only 2cents would be to at least send DCOs to the 5 week ODS.
I could jump on board the 20 week NIOBC, but i havent been to either to compare.

Anyone have a comment on my training timeline vs @bubblehead timeline above? Waivers vs no waivers?
Newer doc.?
Why would they go to ODS? That’s for doctors and lawyers.

Active Duty Intel officers (1830s) go through OCS which is 12 weeks and much much more difficult and stressful than DCO and ODS.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Copy all. Again, we’ll just have to disagree on whether to send all 1835’s to OCS, 6 month NIOBC, and I assume you want 3 week IWBC, too.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
This seems as good a thread as any — Anyone have a blank RRA (the latest version) for IWC DCO? A colleague of mine wants to read it before applying. I searched here and the interwebs but no joy.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Why would they go to ODS? That’s for doctors and lawyers.
ODS is for Staff Corps Officers and several Restricted Line designators.

Additionally, ODS is from where DCOIC was derived. It's a better course and value.

DCOIC sucks due to the timeframe: 2 weeks.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
It’s the same form for all designators.
Maybe I am remembering the wrong form. Looking for the statement of understanding specific to IWC Reserve DCO selects that acknowledges the specific accession and reserve designator training courses, lengths, etc.

bryanteagle6

Maybe I am remembering the wrong form. Looking for the statement of understanding specific to IWC Reserve DCO selects that acknowledges the specific accession and reserve designator training courses, lengths, etc.

like we have shared above. the attached is what i was given.... @bubblehead has something slightly different above. I dont know which one is more current. My document is part of a larger document that I was not given. I do have the older entire version of the document. The question on the table is - Is the waiver for IWBC still applicable today? (Bubble has waiver asterisks - my document does not)

Attachments

• Reserve Intel 1835 Training.pdf
    90.9 KB · Views: 61
D

Deleted member 67144 scul

@RUFiO181 is right. You're probably thinking of the "Letter of Understanding" or the "Service Agreement" for your designator. The RRA is NAVPERS 1200/1.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
DCOIC is waived for prior commissioned officers from other branches. RNIOBC phase one has been waived for certain prior enlisted IS’s who completed A school and earned their EIDWS.