• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

REQUEST: Good aviation/military books

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I appreciate all the inputs, I am going to attempt to consolidate the list this weekend.

Domo,

John

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not a book, not particularly well written, a little rough around the edges, certainly way out of date, and it's void of any real plot. There's no heroics, no sex, no skin, no gouge, no great pic's, no controversy, and not much of anything.

But some might enjoy this guy's – someone that I just happen to casually know - his story and website.

Perhaps its only recommendation is, that it's free. (and the links are good)

http://www.flitetime.net

Just found this on the forum...

Somewhere else on AW, I saw To Be One of Us (right title?) suggested--heard it's about OCS/TBS(?)...No idea who wrote it, but I'm about to google it and see if I can't pick it up this weekend. Sounded like a good read...
Regarding a book I have read, Raid on the Sun by Rodger W. Claire kept me up late into the night. To copy the cover:
"In June 1981, faced with a nuclear threat from Saddam Hussein's Iraq, Israel resolved to eliminate a French-built, Baghdad-based reactor producing weapons-grade plutonium. This is the extraordinary true story of one of the most daring-and succesful-military air strikes ever."
Quick-moving book, interesting account of the run-up, execution, and political after-effects of the whole thing.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
"A Day in the Life of the United States Armed Forces"

This is for all you guys who could never read higher than a 3rd grade level. It's a book filled with pictures of the military: from boot camp, to recruiiters, to a guy eating a sandwich after watch, they were taken in a 24 hour period on all over the globe.

Shameless plug: Navy OCS Class 07-03 is pictured during morning parade practice on pages 238-239

I was checking the shelves last night at Borders, read some of this 'Military Chronicles' magazine I'd never seen before...They had an article called "Cop on the Beat" about the USN in the Persian Gulf during the Iran/Iraq war--had a good account of our surface ships/aircraft taking it to a couple Iranian Navy frigates...SWO's would probably like it; had an A-6(?) dropping one right down the stack of one of those ships for you aviators...

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
A definite must read is "The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer, I've read it multiple times and still manage to pick up something new each time!

nublett

Been there, done that.
"And I Was There"-Pearl Harbor and Midway, Breaking the Secrets by Rear Admiral Edwin T. Layton, USN

Prisoner of War, Six Years in Hanoi by LCDR John M. McGrath, USN

Saddam's Secrets- How an Iraqui General Defied and Survived Saddam Hussein by Georges Sada

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Etiquette by Mary Mitchell

I'm finishing up Riding Rockets: The Outrageous Tales of a Space Shuttle Astronaut by Mike Mullane (former astronaut, retired USAF Col.). He rattles NASA's cage a bit, calls it like he saw it I spose. Good read, though you'll find he's a lil bitter at USN pilots scooping up the majority of shuttle commander slots ahead of his fellow zoomies--thought y'all would enjoy that...Godspeed STS-121--they're slated to head on 'up there' in a few weeks.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Most of mine are on here already, but here's some more:

Fluff reading:
Punks War, by Ward Carrol
Punks Wing, same
The Corps Series, by W.E.B Griffen
The Great Santini, by Pat Conroy
Space, by James Michner

Real books:
First Man, by Neil Armstrong
About Face, by David Hackworth

Politics/World affairs:
The Lexus and the Olive Tree, by Thomas Freidman
The World is Flat, by Thomas Freidman
Longitudes and Attitudes (or vice versa, don't have my copy handy), by Thomas Freidman
Do as I say,Not as I do, by Peter Schweizer
100 People who are Screwing up America, by Bernard Goldberg
10 Things You Can't Say in America, by Larry Elders

plc67

pilot
Fly The Wing by Webb
Aerodynamics For Naval Aviators. A lot of useful info for us non mathmatical types. I've referred to it many times when explaiing why we utilize certain strategies for profile management when engaged in conducting IOE and linechecks.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Gotta go w/ Fly on Red Storm Rising. Co-written with Tom Clancy by Larry Bond - the same former Navy O who developed the Harpoon wargame series used to teach tactics. The publisher only wanted one name on the cover. Bond has written several full length novels of his own (Vortex, Cauldron, and Red Phoenix to name a few). All bear a strikingly similar writing style to Red Storm Rising. Hmmm... Makes you wonder just how much of it was Clancy and how much was Bond.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Red Storm Rising-Favorite fiction of all time

Scream of Eagles
Phantoms Over Vietnam
The Influence of Airpower on History
Eye of the Viper

Showdown: Why China Wants War With the U.S.
Masters of Chaos
Delta Force
Inside Delta Force
See No Evil: The True Story of a Ground Soldier in the CIA's War on Terrorism
Blind Man's Bluff

I'm sure that there are more, but those are the ones I can think of off-hand at the moment.

Wufnu

Horses Don't Fly
by Frederick Libby
An autobiographical memoir of an American pilot that flew for the British during WWI. Not only interesting from a historical point of view, but it's just a dang good story. He was a real character.

badger16

None
"3rd down and a war to go" by Terry Frei

http://www.amazon.com/Third-Down-Wa..._bbs_sr_1/102-4087165-5580153?ie=UTF8&s=books

This book is awesome if you are a fan of college football and world war II which I am...it is written by the son of an old football player on the 1941-42 Wisconsin Badgers and goes into detail about what happend to the team after that season and what they did when they went off to war. The authors dad was a P-38 pilot in the Pacific, some were part of bomber crews in Europe, others were marines in the Pacific. Even talks about Elroy "crazy legs" Hirsh... Just real interesting stuff. I give it a 2 thumbs up. check out the link for some more reviews.

On Wisconsin!!