• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

REQUEST: Good aviation/military books

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
My book choices were given to me by a SEAL Captain, but I found them to be quite inspirational for anyone who intends to serve.

Warrior Elite was mentioned above, but the above comment lacked a description. It was written by Dick Couch, retired SEAL Captain. It follows BUD/S class 228 through training, from indoctrination to graduation. It gives you a real insight into the kinds of people who make it and the kinds of people who are just there to say they were there. I thought it was a great read, it humanizes alot of the people who are made out to be supermen, and emphasizes, "its nnot about getting used to it, its about dealing with it."

Another one, Warrior Soul by Chuck Pfarrer. This is basically the guys memoirs. In some parts he came off a bit whiny, though not anywhere as severe as the author of Jarhead. He doesn't bash the service, but he does excercise the "when you stop having fun, its time to get out" option, and fully explains his reasoing for it. But the majority of the book follows him through his early days at the team (esp. his "welcome" from the enlisted guys as a freshly minted ensign, where they grab him and throw him into a pool in full uniform) to tours in south america, and lebanon. He describes in detail the day of the marine barracks bombing. Its an amazing read, and it really makes you appreciate the risks those guys take. He opens the book with a story that any skydivers on the board will love.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Warrior: The Autobiography of Ariel Sharon and David Channoff.
A good read and some really good insight into fighting Arabs.

Duel for the Golan by Jeffrey Asher. Walks you through the battle for the Golan in 1973, some good examples of inovation and combat leadership, a little chearleady but all in all good.

Those are moy most recent suggestions.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Once An Eagleby Anton Myrer. It's the account of two Army officers through their careers from WWI through Vietnam. It's fiction but an incredible story of leadership and moral courage.

One Bullet Away by Nathaniel Fick. The story of Generation Kill but from the platoon commanders perspective.

A Rumor of War by Phillip Caputo. The story of a Marine platoon commander and his experiences and vietnam.

Fortunate Son by Lewis B Puller Jr. Chesty's son's autobiography. It's sad but completely worth reading.

Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin. A book about Lincoln's cabinet during the Civil War. The reader can see just how lonely leadership can be.

Fields of Fire by James Webb.

Jarhead by Anthony Swafford. Not everyone loves the Marine Corps. It's a different perspective but one worth reading.

Fire in the Streets by Eric Hammel. A blow by blow account of the battle for Hue City during the Tet Offensive 1968. Incredible book if you're interested in the progression of Mout tactics. Actually, it's incredible anyway. A family memeber of mine is in that book, I finally found out exactly how he was killed by reading it. Moving to say the least.

With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by E.B. Sledge and China Marine by the same author. Talk about "Old Corps".

Blackhawk Down by Mark Bowden. the book is always better than the movie. This is no exception.

One of Us by Jack Ruppert. A parallel story of Marine OCS during the '50's and the '02.

The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks. So what if it's a children's novel? Hey, a good book is a good book!

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Trying to think of others that haven't been mentioned (I don't know if these all of these qualify for this list either. So if not, Mods, do your thing).

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
-The book is much better than the movie. It discusses military and political philosohpy through the story of a young man's enlistment in the infantry and rise to 2nd Lt. in a future interstellar war.

Cath-22 by Joseph Heller
This book portrays all of the bad and ridiculous things that can come out of war in a cartoonish and satirical setting. I didn't take it as an affront to the era it portrays (WWII), or was written in (early 60's), but I wasn't around then, so, I guess a grain of salt would be good.

Japanese Destroyer Captain by Captain Tameichi Hara
Ok, yes, its about SWOs and Japanese historical accounts of the era tend to be biased/grossly innaccurte, BUT, as far as I can tell, this guy is on the level. Fascinating account of surface warfare, highly critical of Japanese High Command and the war, and inspiring to see what these ships and crews accomplished under such incredible circumstances.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors by James D. Hornfischer.

posted earlier, but a few more add ons.

Follows the battles in Leyte Gulf when Taffy 3 was attacked.

Follows several different stories in the battle, from the guys on the small DEs, DDs, and the jeep carriers, and the pilots.

Has a good perspective from the different pilots that were in the Taffy, and some of the naval traditions and history of the 2 communities.

Also talks about the Japanese battle plan and their tactics to lure Halsy away from that area.

Shackelton's Way by Margot Morrell and Stephanie Capparell. Follows the Antarctic explorer.
Good leadership book.

KBayDog

Cigars, Whiskey, and Winning: Leadership Lessons from General Ulysses S. Grant
Al Kaltman

bookbg.gif

Another general (ha!) leadership book that follows "Useless" Grant through the War, with anecdotal leadership lessons highlighted. Great reference book.

levar_photo.gif

"But you don't have to take my word for it..."
readingrainbowlogo.jpg

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Ghost Soldiers" by Hampton Sides. It's about the liberation of the Cabanatuan POW camp and what the movie "The Great Raid" was based on. The book is better.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
"1776" by David M. McCullough - Great book about the first year of the American Revolution and how we almost came apart. Center focus is General Washington.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Oh, I forgot...

"A Most Fortunate Ship"
By Tyrone Martin.

Written by a one time captain of the most famous ship in USN history... the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides), tells its full history up to present day.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Platoon Leader by James R. Mcdonough
-A memoir of command in combat during the Vietnam War. Good book on small unit leadership...and well, leadership period.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
John Boyd

brd2881 said:
Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War by Robert Coram

I recommend reading both side by side as each has details the other doesn't, but together they tell a pretty complete story of this legend, iconoclast and brilliant fighter pilot who kept revolutionizing the way we thought about things on successively grander scales: http://www.sci.fi/~fta/boyd_books.htm

bwp3ski

Yeager: An Autobiography

Provides a great view of the roots of the figher pilot and the things that drove one of the world best pilots to such great heights. Really quick read

The Right Stuff: Tom Wolfe

Read the book even if you've seen the movie. Truely one of the coolest books I've ever read.

We Were Soldiers Once... and Young: Ia Drang--The Battle That Changed the War in Vietnam : by General Hal Moore

Again, if you seen the movie still read the book. Gen. Moore is a true hero and one of the officer's who's career I would love to have.