• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

REQUEST: Good aviation/military books

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I'll be honest - I'm not going to go through 17 pages to make sure these haven't been recommended previously. But here are a few:

A Dawn Like Thunder - follows Torpedo 8 through World War II, from their decimation at Midway through their det as a land-based attack squadron at Guadalcanal, where at one point - left with no up aircraft - the aviators dug into the trenches with their Marine brethren, armed with their .45s.

Such Men as These - I'm currently reading this one and it's a great account of Naval Aviation in the Korean War. It's remarkable how similar carrier-based warfare is now to how it was in the early 1950s.

Skeletons on the Zahara - technically not a military book, but I think well worth reading regardless. This story is about an American merchant vessel wrecked on the coast of West Africa in 1815. Its crew was captured by locals and sold into slavery, but a number of them somehow managed to survive the ordeal, return home, and write memoirs about it. Dean King has used these to create one cohesive account that is absolutely riveting, and one of the most incredible stories of survival - and also leadership - that I've ever read.

Renegade One

None
For the several Submariners on the forum, I just started a new (to me, at least) book called "The War Below: The Story of Three Submarines That Battled Japan" by James Scott. Focuses on three "boats": SILVERSIDES, DRUM and TANG. Enjoying it so far...

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
For the several Submariners on the forum, I just started a new (to me, at least) book called "The War Below: The Story of Three Submarines That Battled Japan" by James Scott. Focuses on three "boats": SILVERSIDES, DRUM and TANG. Enjoying it so far...

Holy crap, R1 can read???