• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Report Dates for TBS

djj34

pilot
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to wait four months from NAMI PQ to commission?

We can't sign our RFA until we're NAMI PQ... RFA = 120 days' wait. I'm still waiting on my PQ from NAMI and I had my physical just a few days after first increment PLC Seniors :(

At least I graduated a semester early on Saturday. Haven't been able to find a job yet, though. Thankfully I didn't take out that USAA loan either. I'd have nothing to pay it off.

I was originally a PLC-12, graduated college a year early so my OSO moved me into PLC-11 with the hope to Direct Commission at the graduation from seniors on 8 July. Didn't happen, finally commissioned yesterday and my appointment says class 4-12. The Capt. said he believes that us Dec 2012. He chalked the long wait up to being a flight contract.
I am trying to verify that Dec is correct, I am on the TBS website but can't find it yet. If anyone can assist with this it would be appreciated. Trying not to get bummed that it would be a total of an 18 month wait, actually seeing the O-1E and 7599 on paper helps

This gives me hope that whenever I commission, maybe I'll still luck out with an earlier TBS date than Oct. 2012. Supposedly air contracts tend to get sooner TBS dates because every class has to have a certain number of air contracts.

tbrown

This is actually my first post gentlemen. I've monitored the Airwarrior forums for a couple of years now, it's an outstanding Underground information source.

I did PLC Jrs 2nd incr. 2007. PRK Feb 2009, Srs summer 2009. Graduated college Aug 2010 with mechanical engineering. Went through the same NAMI BS as all of you, RFA paperwork lost at one point, NAMI and BUMED telling me different things with waivers, the whole 9 yards. Finally commissioned July 2011. Assuming class pickup, I should be in Charlie 3-12 for TBS. For those of you keeping track at home, that's 19 months from graduation.

Waiting sucks. All I can say is: get used to it. Remember what you want to do. Don't lose sight of the prize. Use the time you have to get into the best shape you can. Read the CMC reading list, take a foreign language if you feel hyper motivated. Travel. Think of all your buddies to took a year off to find themselves or whatever, and how, when they get back to the real world, they will have to fight for jobs against people who are fresh graduates. You won't. Realize that as much as you want to get to your chosen career as a Naval Aviator, this is basically a free vacation to do whatever the hell you want beforehand (within reason). You can't do anything to speed up the process. Use the opportunity to better yourself.

Personally, I just spent 6 weeks in Argentina and Chile hostel-jumping. Go make your own adventure. The Corps wouldn't have commissioned you if they took you as an individual who watched life from the sidelines.

... who wants to help me down off this soapbox

jason.ashley1

Yo,
I am on track to be commissioned March 2nd or so. I am trying to figure out my TBS Report date. From Aspro23's comment, I am thinking class 5-12 or class 6-12. Both of those graduate 2013 (WOW).
What do you think?

Aspro23

Probably not what you want to hear, but the winter semester college grads I know that are commissioning now are getting -13s.

texags

pilot
When is the Marine Corps going to get its shit together and fix the TBS wait time? It has been this way for as long as I can remember. If I could do it all over again I would do NROTC. PLC seems to have the longest wait times.

I've seen plenty of friends in NROTC who had 6 or 7 month wait times. Sure, they usually don't get the 8-14 month monster like us PLC types can and have, but I'd say the only sure bet to go to TBS in a reasonably short amount of time is through the Academy. I blame the medical bureaucracy. If it worked the way it's supposed to, and approved guys in a reasonable amount of time, PLC guys would have been able to send in their RFAs a lot sooner in advance, and get commissioned on time, and go to TBS within a few months. Oh well, I take solace in the fact that the longer we wait, the more the Marine Corps has to pay us in TIS.

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
Talked with my OSO two days ago. I graduated from PLC-Seniors in August and will be graduating from college in May.

I am currently waiting on a NAMI waiver from my trip to Pensacola at the end of October. As soon as that clears I will send in my RFA and then I was told it would be around a 10 month wait after I commission.

So it should be about 12 months total wait after I graduate(assuming nothing goes terribly wrong).

In the meantime, is anyone hiring new graduates with math degrees in the Boston or San Francisco area?

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Oh well, I take solace in the fact that the longer we wait, the more the Marine Corps has to pay us in TIS.

I'll be at O1 >5 when I go in either December or March. Went to PLC Jr's in '08 and contracted in '07 (freshman year). Unfortunately, O-1 pay stays static past 3 years.

tbrown

Got orders today, 'rah. I'm still not sold though... I had a buddy who commissioned in Jan 2009, had orders to the Sept TBS class, and a week before his report date they told him to stand down. He got pushed back to December.

I'm not helping much am I? haha

Fitz73Chrgr

I'm not helping much am I? haha

Ha, I've never heard of that happening before. I'm not going to worry about it. Got a call from my OSO on Friday and they told me the report date has been changed to 8 March, which isn't consistent with the TBS website. Maybe it's a typo.