• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Remembering Pearl Harbor

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It just seemed as if the mentality back then was, "defeat the enemy as quickly and ferociously as possible, and at any and all costs".

I think this aggressive mentality should've been taken with the pursuit of Bin Laden and weeding the terrorism out of Afghanistan.

End threadjack.

Halsey said it best...

6a00e550199efb883301116847083f970c-800wi

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Halsey said it best...

6a00e550199efb883301116847083f970c-800wi
Roger that, Halsey DID say 'it' best:

On 8 December, Vice Admiral William F. "Bull" Halsey brought the USS ENTERPRISE task force back into Pearl Harbor. The enormity of the destruction left all hands dumbfounded. Halsey's comment:

"Before we're through with 'em, the Japanese language will be spoken only in hell!" ...

That probably represented a universal feeling, not just in the US PACIFIC FLEET, but in virtually the entire Nation at the time. Where is that 'spirit' today .... ??? It seems to be AWOL as we keep trying to find excuses for 'Musllims' and 'Islam'.

An interesting article from SEP 28, 1944 on 'Should the Pacific battle fleet have been at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7? And, if it should not, why was it there, and by whose orders?' September 28, 1944

THE TRUTH OF PEARL HARBOR

(AN EDITORIAL)

CalamityJean

I know which way the wind shines!
Too bad it seems half the kids in my generation have no idea what happened at Pearl Harbor, let alone when it happened and the sacrifices that were made.
It's heartbreaking really.

It's been on my mind from the time I got up. It's always been a day I remembered, but this year is personal. This is my Navy. The men & women who died today, 68 years ago, are a part of my heritage now. Thats humbling.

blackbart22

pilot
Yep, was sitting in the car in the Maine woods listening to the radio while my father was out chopping down a Christmas tree. At five I was considered too young to be tramping around in the snow in the forest. The announcer intrupted the broadcast of my aunt's high school glee club singing Christmas carols to say that Pearl Harbor had been attacked by Japan. It made an impression.

IronMaiden

Today was pathetic

My school didn't even bother talking about it during the announcements!! No memorial service of any kind...
and in my US HISTORY class my teacher was so busy talking about the Lakers, the Raiders, and Tiger woods with some other students that she got the date wrong when she briefly mentioned it. I corrected her and got a "The homie a nerd" from someone behind me. I got too much to lose if I got expelled so I kept my fist down.

R.I.P to all those who lost their lives on that day.

jtmedli

pilot
Take Iwo Jima... We lost almost 7,000 men in one battle.

I'll bet the 5,000 men that sacrificed their lives in the last 10 years would want us to have that kind of resolve and determination.

It just seemed as if the mentality back then was, "defeat the enemy as quickly and ferociously as possible, and at any and all costs".

I think this aggressive mentality should've been taken with the pursuit of Bin Laden and weeding the terrorism out of Afghanistan.

I think about this pretty frequently. Sad to see a lack of commitment to our own "Modern Day Pearl Harbor" like we had 60+ years ago.

It's heartbreaking really.

It's been on my mind from the time I got up. It's always been a day I remembered, but this year is personal. This is my Navy. The men & women who died today, 68 years ago, are a part of my heritage now. Thats humbling.

Yeah, agreed. Very humbling to watch the bombings and naval battles on TV today. Puts things in perspective to think that this Navy and Marine Corps is soon to be yours and mine now.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I had the honor of attending the ceremony today at Pearl Harbor. Very moving, very cool. If you are ever in HI around Dec 7, make the time to attend.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Here are a few from my collection of WWII posters. It is a shame that we no longer have the guts to make things like these.

Attachments

• ATT00185.jpg
    ATT00185.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 25
  • ATT00197.jpg
    ATT00197.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 25
  • ATT00203.jpg
    ATT00203.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 26
  • ATT00206.jpg
    ATT00206.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 23
  • ATT00227.jpg
    ATT00227.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 28
  • ATT00230.jpg
    ATT00230.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 26
  • ATT00233.jpg
    ATT00233.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 25

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What year was that taken?
Without lookin' it up -- I believe '06 or '07 sounds about right ...

Here's an interesting piece from a hippie-liberal, latte-lappin', white wine & cheese tastin', paternalistic, snob website that I frequently peruse ... as we have so much in common ... the article is about what it was like on Seattle's First Pearl Harbor Day, December 7, 1941

Obviously ... the first reports from Pearl were incomplete:

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Here are a few from my collection of WWII posters. It is a shame that we no longer have the guts to make things like these.

I don't think it has anything to do with guts. I think it has more to do with the mission that we're trying to complete abroad.

Many propaganda posters of World War II utilize the "demonizing the enemy" technique. I don't personally believe this would be an effective way to rally support for Iraq and Afghanistan considering we're not trying to destroy their countries.

I'd go as far to say that we lack a full war footing and for that reason, propaganda posters such as the ones displayed in this thread are unnecessary.

These posters may or may have not given the same feeling to those viewing them then as those viewing them now. The reason for that being is that there is certainly a bit of nostalgia involved when viewing historical pieces such as these.

The talent is out there. It's just not being utilized.

I was also disturbed by the lack of coverage yesterday.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Without lookin' it up -- I believe '06 or '07 sounds about right ...

Here's an interesting piece from a hippie-liberal, latte-lappin', white wine & cheese tastin', paternalistic, snob website that I frequently peruse ... as we have so much in common ... the article is about what it was like on Seattle's First Pearl Harbor Day, December 7, 1941

Obviously ... the first reports from Pearl were incomplete:

Wow, missed a few details eh? Not surprising at the time though, lots of confusion.

My grandmother, who lived in Seattle on that day, told me of hearing about the attack on the radio. She was born in 1909, so she was a young girl during WWI, but she remembers selling war bonds. She sat down, took a few to gather herself, then began to look around for things that she could do. She ended up working for Boeing as a parts inspector on the B-17 line then the B-29 line. Through the war she gave all she could back, from every spare bit of metal to pantyhose to make tires.

Everybody came together during that time in a way that had never been seen before, even during WWI. I think America today has pulled together, but not to the same level as WWII.

Truly they were America's greatest generation. If people were willing to sacrifice today as they were in WWII, I think this war would have gone very differently.