• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

remember when helmets looked cool?

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
284512_2267677173557_1297382765_32718194_6171397_n.jpg

phrogpilot73

You mean my helmet that is all white reflective tape with my "PC" callsign on the back in blue reflective tape is not cool?
You have your callsign in reflective tape??

We used to wear camouflage helmet covers... It was a big deal, because Flight E generally didn't get around to making yours until you were LLL complete. It was awesome when you started to fly with it, because you had "arrived." Just had a maintenance inspection, and not only did my totally sweet Oregon Aero hushkit earpieces go away, but so did my helmet cover. Apparently, there's some bizzare instruction that says they're only allowed to be worn in theatre...

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Remember when we had masks that didn't suck? Walking into an FBO with a vagina-like imprint on my face definitely takes the cool factor down a notch.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You have your callsign in reflective tape??

We used to wear camouflage helmet covers... It was a big deal, because Flight E generally didn't get around to making yours until you were LLL complete. It was awesome when you started to fly with it, because you had "arrived." Just had a maintenance inspection, and not only did my totally sweet Oregon Aero hushkit earpieces go away, but so did my helmet cover. Apparently, there's some bizzare instruction that says they're only allowed to be worn in theatre...

I can't speak to your helmet covers (other than I think they look sharp), but the OA kits are perfectly authorized INCONUS. I'm guessing someone in your QA or 130/13A (or whatever you call it) is getting overly ambitious with preps.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I dunno, my helmet looks pretty cool - kind of like the ones in the OP's pic, lightning bolts and shit all over. I also use an old school mask (and a spare I keep at home...just in case). The rest of you must just suck. :)

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My Prowler helmet is done up pretty close to those in the first pic as well, though there was a short time in Iwakuni it was defaced with Brett's squadron logo and other trash........

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
I also use an old school mask (and a spare I keep at home...just in case). The rest of you must just suck. :)

Brett

+1. I hated the new mask, I made a good impression with the PR's and they hooked me up with the old school one. The new style would always "stick" on the exhale and I had to forcefully blow into it to get it to work properly no matter how many times I had it "inspected" by the PR's, plus the sideways hose would always snag on my koch's, nothing like your mask hose tugging your head back when your defensive bfm or had to look behind you.

Isn't there a reg that says like 85% of the helmet has to be white and free of design/artwork?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Isn't there a reg that says like 85% of the helmet has to be white and free of design/artwork?

It's that the helmet has to be covered in reflective tape. I don't remember the percentage, but 85 is about right. The problem is people construe that to mean it has to be white reflective tape. Also, I believe your visor counts as part of the percentage, but I'm a little fuzzy on that.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Just had a maintenance inspection, and not only did my totally sweet Oregon Aero hushkit earpieces go away, but so did my helmet cover. Apparently, there's some bizzare instruction that says they're only allowed to be worn in theatre...
Ah, the eternal battle of what can be kept in the paraloft or in your helmet bag. I agree with Gatordev that it sounds like someone is getting carried away with preps.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I just lost an air sick bag, a piddle pack, a finger light, and some other crap I had in my g-suit pocket. Granted, I've never used any of those things before, but it's pretty dumb that I can't keep them in my gear just in case.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Can people not bribe the shit hot PR1 to do up their helmet in some cool reflective tape design? Or do local instructions tend to override that?