• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

remember when helmets looked cool?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I lucked out on deployment and got this design for a couple pizzas. The logo is from a local clothing company and I thought it was apropos to show off my NW pride.

Attachments

• 25693_555417217401_12000788_32631666_5900074_n.jpg
    25693_555417217401_12000788_32631666_5900074_n.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 243

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
helmets.jpg

KBayDog

We used to wear camouflage helmet covers... It was a big deal, because Flight E generally didn't get around to making yours until you were LLL complete. It was awesome when you started to fly with it, because you had "arrived."

That's got to be an East Coast thing. Helmet covers weren't viewed as a rite of passage on the Left Coast - just something Flight E got around to doing when they had the time. All pilots/aircrew were directed to have one, so I got one. Never wore the damn thing. I was in a MEU squadron, and I figured I ran a bigger risk of going swimming than I did of Charlie spotting my reflective helmet in the cockpit of a 12-ton helicopter...with at least one other 12-ton chopper nearby. (If I'm that close, the gig is up anyway!)

Our skid guys always wore their helmet covers, and all I could think of is the extra work it would take for our HSC bubbas to find them if the unexpected happened. (Similar to the head scratching I do when I see Sailors wearing Aquaflage or dark blue coveralls while underway. Who are they hiding from? All it does is make the search for overboard Sailors more difficult.)

In any event, I'll make my annual plug for the return of fluorescent orange flight suits. Hell, if someone could invent a fluorescent orange flight suit with water-activated strobes, embedded ELTs, and self-firing flares, I'd wear it.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
It's that the helmet has to be covered in reflective tape. I don't remember the percentage, but 85 is about right. The problem is people construe that to mean it has to be white reflective tape. Also, I believe your visor counts as part of the percentage, but I'm a little fuzzy on that.

It actually says WHITE reflective tape in 3710. Page 8-1:

Protective helmet — The helmet and visor housing
shall be 100 percent covered with white reflective
tape except as modified by approved aircrew system
changes. Up to 30 square inches of light-colored
reflective tape may be applied so long as the white
tape remains visible from all directions. The use of
reflective tape may degrade night vision device

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Can people not bribe the shit hot PR1 to do up their helmet in some cool reflective tape design? Or do local instructions tend to override that?

Sure, that's how I got mine done. Except I went to a PR3 who happened to have the skill as well as the time and inclination to work for a six pack of beer. Granted I only have my name, call sign, and an Oregon State logo on my helmet but he still made it look good.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can people not bribe the shit hot PR1 to do up their helmet in some cool reflective tape design? Or do local instructions tend to override that?

If you are in a good enough squadron the PRs do it for everyone without bribery because that is the squadron standard. ;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It actually says WHITE reflective tape in 3710. Page 8-1:

Protective helmet — The helmet and visor housing
shall be 100 percent covered with white reflective
tape except as modified by approved aircrew system
changes. Up to 30 square inches of light-colored
reflective tape may be applied so long as the white
tape remains visible from all directions. The use of
reflective tape may degrade night vision device

Thanks for the correction and I definitely mispoke, but IMO, the end result is the same. People seem to think that the whole thing has to be white when that's not the case.

I do like the instruction though: "You SHALL have a bunch of reflective tape, but it might inhibit your ability to actually fly at night."

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have ab Aardvark helmet just like the one in the lower right of the case...the good old days.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You mean my helmet that is all white reflective tape with my "PC" callsign on the back in blue reflective tape is not cool?

So....if you're no longer Master, what's your PC call sign?

We all have giant ass eagles on our helmets in my squadron. That probably covers the 30 sq in allowed on the helmet, but if I'm wearing my helmet for real, it's a bad day.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
So....if you're no longer Master, what's your PC call sign?

We all have giant ass eagles on our helmets in my squadron. That probably covers the 30 sq in allowed on the helmet, but if I'm wearing my helmet for real, it's a bad day.

When I wore my helmet on a P-3:
-Bailout drills (do they still have parachutes on P-3s?)
-Ditching drills
-Simulated SW attacks

gotta_fly

pilot
In any event, I'll make my annual plug for the return of fluorescent orange flight suits. Hell, if someone could invent a fluorescent orange flight suit with water-activated strobes, embedded ELTs, and self-firing flares, I'd wear it.

That would look so awesome in the rain.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Old helmets looke sweet. You can always add a little touch-up to your own. Here's mine, a little more jacked Pegasus as the standard 30 Pegasus is just a bit fem:

bunkhelmet2.jpg

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor

I certainly have no dog in this fight... My helmet is in my pantry, ready for my wife to grab if a tornado comes through (not kidding.) As for the flourescent orange flight suits. When I was at NUW last weekend I saw a couple of SAR helo guys wearing them. I'll have to admit, they are eye-catching!