• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Really??: Ten Thousand Feet and Ten Thousand Miles (A UAV Article)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gents, I can't be talking about BZB...there was no A/V club when he went to school.

The world was still in black and white and dodgeball hadn't been invented yet. Orville and Wilbur were still studying for their CFII checks.

Everyone knows this.
Sacre' bleu, I guess your right... my last ID card photo!
Busy Bee in Horspital.gif
BzB

Renegade One

None
Exactly. I get more of a "slapping the top of the TV, looking for the rabbit ears, and complaining about how 'the clicker' has disappeared again" vibe from BzB...
Going to give you credit for a level of "humor" that isn't intuitive to me. Nothing new there. But I probably missed a few thread posts and therefore don't "get it".

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I had a squadronmate who didn't make HAC in 24 months. Rather than facing FNAEB he resigned his wings (he was not going to pass the HAC board and the CO didn't trust him to take an aircraft and crew on his own).
He stayed in and switched over to UAV's and progressed. Last time I checked he was an O-5 doing UAV work still.
He did not make HAC due to poor aeronatical judgement? After all, I've never heard of someone not making it because they were just a bad stick. How do you trust someone to operate a UAV and drop weapons on target that you would not trust to operate a helicopter with crew? It seems there is a lower level of expectation for a UAV pilot vs "real" pilot, at least in this circumstance.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

At least they didn't tarnish value of one of the established 'combat' medals. Here is the official announcement complete with depictions of the new medal.

scr_130213-D-999ZZ-999.jpg

Now at least we will be able to tell who the real cyberwarriors and joystick heroes are in our midst, no longer will they have to be anonymous with only their cyberwarfare/space ranger/UAV wings or dominator pins to distinguish them!

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
What a crock.... Of course when the Air Force gives out Bronze stars to O-4's just for breathing, how can we be surprised when they make an award you have to "earn" rank above it. (Not that I actually believe this will really be earned, or should rank higher than the pistol marksmanship ribbon.)

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Rank higher than the pistol marksmanship ribbon.

Hey, don't put those quals down... They are apparently enough to get you characterized as a highly trained killing machine by the mainstream media. I must have slept through that part of the brief when I got mine.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What does everyone else think about this?
It was inevitable that some award/s for UAV Jocks were coming. I'm just happy that they didn't authorize (and degrade) AMs, DFCs & above, nor authorize combat "V"s. They didn't do holders of the Bronze Star any favors, although that's been doled out pretty liberally of late.

Thankful that there is no Air or Flying ln the title of this new award (DWM).:)
BzB

the person pressing the fire button ... launching a tomahawk..

This is a little exagerative. I was that guy pushing a button to launch a tomahawk, and it is not as dynamic as I (assume) being a UAV pilot is. The process of launching a tomahawk is as simple as mutliple parties following a procedure. I would imagine UAV piloting is closer to the involvment side of the specturm than you make it out to be.

*definitely not comparing it to the level required of a pilot or any other forward deployed asset, just so we're clear.

**it still seems silly to push for more prestigious medals though. Just collect your NAMs and PUCs (or equivlant) and go about your day like the other %90 of the military.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Just collect your NAMs and PUCs (or equivlant) and go about your day like the other %90 of the military.
Pretty much agree... BUT, you are pretty dismissive of the Presidential Unit Citation (PUC). It is the highest Unit Award, very prestigious, and actually quite rare.
BzB

Pretty much agree... BUT, you are pretty dismissive of the Presidential Unit Citation (PUC). It is the highest Unit Award, very prestigious, and actually quite rare.
BzB

Perhaps more rare in the surface Navy than subs? I regularly heard of them being awarded to firing units. (post 9-11 timeframe)

Of course I have been wrong before on more than one occasion. I'm probably confusing them with Battle Es.