• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Really??: Ten Thousand Feet and Ten Thousand Miles (A UAV Article)

Pags

N/A
pilot
"According to a report based on Air Force statistics, from January 2009 to mid-2010 3497 medals were granted to operators, while 1408 more were given to pilots.[3]
The Aerial Achievement Medal may be approved by local commanders, however the missions for which the decoration is authorized must be approved by a Major Air Force Command.
Minimum requirements for an Aerial Achievement Medal are 20 flights of at least 2 hours with one flight per theaterper day. For the basic Aerial Achievement medal, 14 flights may be used. However, if this is the case then 26 flights must be used for the first Oak Leaf Cluster
Enlisted personnel receive three (3)promotion pointsper award."

It makes sense to me to create and give out an award like this for doing something "above and beyond", but giving out medals for people showing up to work is silly to me. Air medals given for a certain number of sorties at least demonstrate that a person has repeatedly flown in harms way. Why not give medals for a certain number of gripes a maintainer fixes, or a certain number of travel claims a clerk files?
I'm just guessing, but from what I read on the Aerial Achievement Medal it sounds like this is an Air Medal Lite for flightcrews that don't otherwise qualify for an Air Medal. For instance, as an ass and trash guy flying out of Bahrain to ships in the NAG and to Kuwait, I wasn't eligible for air medal points. But the HSL guys who flew in the NAG every day were eligible as were the Air Ambulance guys who flew around Kuwait. We flew through the same airspace, but because the instruction disallowed air medal points for logistics flights outside of certain area, then we weren't going to get it. I don't know, but I'd hypothesize that the same rules might apply to AMC guys.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Jesus. And here I am thinking the last year I've spent driving the relatively safe streets of Kabul doesn't really constitute sufficient level of risk to justify a BSM. What an asshole.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
The AFSOC SOS dudes I flew with were mostly a good, humble, bunch of folks. I'm not getting worked up about an obscure book report, he's getting face-shot from his community.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I hope the AF doesn't spend $$ sending those UAV pilots through pilot training, FCOL. Hell, just recruit the best video-gamers out there & turn 'em loose - or, knowing the AF, they could create a 12-month video-game course that costs $1MM per trainee.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
My info is dated, but the bottom of a flight school class coukd get UAVs as their assignment.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
That was how it worked three years ago... The class after me had a guy who WANTED UAVs. He was a hero to the rest of his class.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My info is dated, but the bottom of a flight school class coukd get UAVs as their assignment.
I've heard of SNAs/SNFOs who loved flying & Naval Aviation, but had to drop out due to chronic airsickness. Being already commissioned, it seems they'd be primo candidates for UAV training? Or would they still be vulnerable to the illness mentally, even strapped into the UAV Operator's plush, padded chair?;)
BzB

helolumpy

pilot
Contributor
I've heard of SNAs/SNFOs who loved flying & Naval Aviation, but had to drop out due to chronic airsickness. Being already commissioned, it seems they'd be primo candidates for UAV training? Or would they still be vulnerable to the illness mentally, even strapped into the UAV Operator's plush, padded chair?;)
BzB

I had a squadronmate who didn't make HAC in 24 months. Rather than facing FNAEB he resigned his wings (he was not going to pass the HAC board and the CO didn't trust him to take an aircraft and crew on his own).
He stayed in and switched over to UAV's and progressed. Last time I checked he was an O-5 doing UAV work still.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Hmmm... As a Hornet guy, this just makes the UAV community more laughable to me. If I were one of his "squadronmates" or whatever they call it in UAV-land, I would be pissed at this guy for making the rest of the community look bad.

As for the medal piece, I'll give him my strike flight air medal if it fixes his hurt feelings. He can paste it all over facebook and tell everyone how much of a badass he is. That isn't the reason I fly jets into combat.

RE: Wings as a decoration. Wings/TopGun/MAWTS etc. patches are qualifications, not awards. The "My granddad didn't need wings to be a badass" argument is a red herring in this thread. Gramps didn't have wings because they weren't invented yet.

RE: UAV pilot's article. I wonder what the surviving residents of the "Hanoi Hilton" would have to say about this guy?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As for the medal piece, I'll give him my strike flight air medal if it fixes his hurt feelings. He can paste it all over facebook and tell everyone how much of a badass he is. That isn't the reason I fly jets into combat.
His assertion that he IS in harm's way every day driving to/from work, is pure drivel. He is in no greater danger on the road than any other daily auto commuter, or even Wifey's daily runs to the daycare center. By his reasoning, would not then all daily commuters, military or civilian, be eligible for similar recognition?:confused:

The UAV drive for prestigious awards for "chairborne warriors" will intensify over time, and will eventually be realized... especially by our USAF brethren. I only hope the combat "V" continues to be authoriz2d for only actual airborne combat for (aerial) awards, perhaps a combat "UV" to distinguish between airborne & chairborne valor?:rolleyes:
Distinguished_Flying_Cross_ribbon_svg.png
BzB

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I get the picked on in dodgeball, audio visual club president vibe from this guy.

helolumpy

pilot
Contributor
His assertion that he IS in harm's way every day driving to/from work, is pure drivel. He is in no greater danger on the road than any other daily auto commuter, or even Wifey's daily runs to the daycare center. By his reasoning, would not then all daily commuters, military or civilian, be eligible for similar recognition?:confused:

The UAV drive for prestigious awards for "chairborne warriors" will intensify over time, and will eventually be realized... especially by our USAF brethren. I only hope the combat "V" continues to be authoriz2d for only actual airborne combat for (aerial) awards, perhaps a combat "UV" to distinguish between airborne & chairborne valor?:rolleyes:
View attachment 11823
BzB

I get the picked on in dodgeball, audio visual club president vibe from this guy.

How can you say that about BZB??? ;)

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
How can you say that about BZB??? ;)
Exactly. I get more of a "slapping the top of the TV, looking for the rabbit ears, and complaining about how 'the clicker' has disappeared again" vibe from BzB...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Gents, I can't be talking about BZB...there was no A/V club when he went to school.

The world was still in black and white and dodgeball hadn't been invented yet. Orville and Wilbur were still studying for their CFII checks.

Everyone knows this.