• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Re: Mail at OCS

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
After writing multiple essays during your sleep time, there is absolutely no desire to write another 300 words. The letters will come when there is time.

roger that. Most of the essays that I got was during the first 2 weeks of OCS. They made it really hard to want to stay up afterwards and write a letter.

Dont worry. He is still alive...Just busy.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I was in that Company that got our libbo canked. I know in my heart of hearts that I am "harder" for it though.

I wrote my girlfriend a letter during the night land nav course. Finished up pretty quickly, then I just went out into the middle of the woods after I got my last box and laid out under my poncho with my little red flashlight and wrote a letter. Better than getting messed with by the staff.

Didn't write that many letters other than that, by the time you get all your other stuff done, staying up extra to write a letter is like the last thing on your mind. Also, there really isn't that much to write. I remember coming home from bootcamp and seeing some letters I wrote to my mom and they were all the same: "This sucks. Did this and that, but it sucked." for a page and a half.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Or you could be like Golf (I think it was) and get your libo pulled. I felt horrible for you guys!

The mail system there is kinda wierd. It took about 2-3 days on average for my parents to receive a letter from me. It took about a week for me to get one from them on average. Sometimes mroe or less. We had one candidate send a letter to another candidate to see how long it would take. We were guessing about 3 weeks but it ended up being about 8-9 days. Ahh the stupid $hit you do to keep from going crazy.

I was 1st platoon, Golf company... truth be told we were hatin' life that weekend ;).

Nebulae

Nebulae
Good to know, fortunately for me I'm on pacific coast time so, even if liberty starts at 1800 it wont be too bad, that is if he gets it at all. For some of the ladies in the forum, I've received 4 letters, all of which were...I'm tierd, so don't feel bad if you haven't received anything, I'm sure he is just passing out. On another note, can you send cards or pictures in the cards? Will that got opened in front of the instructors? Just curious. Thanks!

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
any "bulky" letters or packages will be opened in front of instructors. I know a lot of candidates who recieved pictures from home.

My mother sent me a fedex envelope with birthday cards from family while i was in Quantico. I opened it front of the Instructor. When he saw that it was just cards inside he let me go.

VAmookie

Writing letters? Thats what classes are for. How else are you supposed to stay awake

How did you all manage to get your liberty taken away

jagges84

Semper Gumby "Always Flexible"
We werent "allowed" to write letters in class. I had my letter writing gear in my binder, and my SI saw it. He made me take it out, and he read the letter out loud, that I had written to my little brother. It was "this sucks" etc...I even drew a little picture of a bunch of stick candidates asleep in class....haha..and a few others. The SI didnt read that far. He said you can get this back when I get my 300 words. I never got it back.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
we had a candidate in my platoon get caught writing one in class too. Something to his girlfriend. Got ripped on about that from the staff for pretty much the whole time.

ProudUSMCGrlfrd

Proud USMC girlfriend
Thanks for the comments! Hopefully I'll get something this week... If not.. I might have other things to worry about. hummm :icon_roll

0621girl

If not.. I might have other things to worry about. hummm :icon_roll

Huh? Honey, he is busy. Do you really want him doing 16+ hr days then writing you a letter when he could be resting? He is fine. He loves you. He needs to concentrate on whats more important right now. First rule of being a military SO: Many MANY times they just dont have the time nor inclination to worry about you. Sometimes comm is blacked out for weeks. When my husband first went to the sandbox I got one letter and NO OTHER communication til he was back in Cherry Point coming home. 6 months. Wives who complain about such are just asking for trouble. You are now the second priority for a while. Keep him as your first, and all will be well.

ProudUSMCGrlfrd

Proud USMC girlfriend
Huh? Honey, he is busy. Do you really want him doing 16+ hr days then writing you a letter when he could be resting? He is fine. He loves you. He needs to concentrate on whats more important right now. First rule of being a military SO: Many MANY times they just dont have the time nor inclination to worry about you. Sometimes comm is blacked out for weeks. When my husband first went to the sandbox I got one letter and NO OTHER communication til he was back in Cherry Point coming home. 6 months. Wives who complain about such are just asking for trouble. You are now the second priority for a while. Keep him as your first, and all will be well.

I know... :) I am SOOOO new to this. Newish to him and new to the whole military SO thing... I am just being a girl. In my mind... it's fine... but my heart can run off and act all crazy. :boggled_1 Thanks 0621girl! :)

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle

You better still be writing 0621... thats my homie right there :) Letters can keep you ALIVE at OCS.

MasterHaynes86

I remember getting a letter from mom, one from a friend, and cookies from my sister... she sent enough for the platoon and the staff (tho we didn't share with them). For some reason our staff let us have the food, but it had to be distributed evenly and clean... Maybe it was because K3 back in 2005 was the best Juniors Company for 1st incremement ;) Or maybe it was because we always gave our all, worked as a team, and watched out for each other... Who knows, but for some reason, we got to have cookies one night thanks to my sister...

I wrote home twice while at OCS aside from the "I'm here and safe" printout. Send him letters daily... he loves and misses you im sure... and show up for his graduation ceremony...

Oh, we got our mail every other night or so, so i guess we were lucky... weeks get REALLY LONG without letters... i know when I got them the weeks flew by...